Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: iPhone X dropping connection?  (Read 1130 times)

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
iPhone X dropping connection?
« on: November 29, 2017, 12:18:31 AM »

Got my iPhone X on Sat and after a couple of hours riding my 12 Roadglide which I have the phone paired to my Zumo 590 Road Tech as well as the Sena 20S EVO it started dropping Bluetooth connection. It would say "phone disconnected" then almost immediately re connect. From the point it first did that it continued to do that all day but after about a hour would just drop connection all together. When I would stop the bike and then re start it would just keep dropping and reconnecting sometimes right away and sometimes after about 20 minutes. Went about 400 miles so had plenty of frustration over this. Tried unpairing and reconnection 3 times even taking battery out of Garmin after erasing phone from memory to "hard restart" unit but didn't help. Called Garmin Monday morning and of course they blamed the phone and said it was a Apple problem and to just keep a eye out for a Apple update. That doesn't make sense to me as I had a Phone 6S before this and everything worked perfect and I transferred all same settings to new phone. All other bluetooth devices I have hooked up including my 17 Streetglide and my car work fine and no other connections (fitness band I always wear) have dropped.
Any ideas??
Alan

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: iPhone X dropping connection?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 05:06:03 AM »

Can’t say for sure but if you think about it the only thing that was changed was the new phone. My money is on the phone being the problem.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:29:23 AM »

It the phone. As Garmin said just keep looking for and update that says fixed Bluetooth Connections Problems. Can't say when that will happen. Just remember one thing, when it comes to Bluetooth its not all encompassing.

Jim@hdbomm
Ride It Like You Are Retired

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 05:39:55 PM »

If only change were phone? Then problem to me is phone. My Samsung has never done this.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 07:10:08 PM »

Try an internet search for "iphone x bluetooth" and you'll find many people complaining about the same thing, with various car companies' systems as well as with other Bluetooth enabled products.  I seem to remember Apple having a similar problem with their Apple Watch not too long ago; perhaps they need a new Bluetooth expert on staff?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:30:58 PM »

thanks all, the weird part is all the other BT connections are working fine but obviously since the only thing different is the phone it is has to be the problem. Everything else about the phone works amazing, hopefully Apple comes up with a fix soon.
Alan

Mano

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:50:09 PM »

When I had my iPhone 4S it paired and worked perfectly with my Zumo 665. When I upgraded to the iPhone 6 plus it would not pair unless I would go thru the process to pair it. When I turned the bike off I would have to pair it again. Just got the X. Hoping it just pairs. If it does I would say it is the phone.

My buddy had the Zumo 660 with his iPhone 4 and 6 it worked fine. Then he had to replace his zumo and went with the 665. His iPhone 6 worked great. Then he upgraded to the iPhone 7 and it is still working. So hit and miss I say it's the phone.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 12:30:43 AM »

Apple had a update yesterday that was supposed to be about sending money through messages but didn't mention anything else. I did it then went almost 400 miles today and the connection never dropped once so I am assuming whatever else was in that update fixed the issue. Happy day!
Alan

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2017, 09:04:03 AM »

Alan the way you ride you don't need to worry about the damn phone......just ride!  :P
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.