Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Cure to Poor Garage Lighting  (Read 3579 times)

CHH_Badkarma

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Breakout.
Re: Cure to Poor Garage Lighting
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 10:52:45 PM »

Decent overhead lighting will help. If you can, paint the ceiling and the walls a bright white. This will, for lack of better wording on my part bounce the light around and illuminate things.

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 06:35:44 AM »

I was looking at these LED ceiling lights.

Bank of LEDs behind the frosted defuser cover.

Anyone used these?

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 08:02:36 AM »

Our entire house is lit with led lighting of one type or another. In my new 3rd bay garage I went with two 8 foot long fixtures with 4 bulbs each. Liked them so well I added them to the 2 car garage as well.

This looks great for my application. I could replace my my 2x2 4ft fixtures with these 8 ft fixtures. Lowes? Home Depot? Other?

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 08:04:58 AM »

Simon, I removed the old fluorescent lights in the garage and instead of going with the LED type long bulbs, I went this way:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-IBC-454-MV-4-Light-T5-White-High-Output-Fluorescent-High-Bay-IBC-454-MV/202838871

Going the T5 route, I still had to remove the old fixtures but they were just about the same size as the new ones.  Took me 2 hours removal and installation.  Replaced two fixtures with two T5 and it's like night and day comparison.  I can actually work on the bike/car without any additional lighting except a flashlight when I'm working in the creases and crevices.

These are less expensive than the LED replacements.  I've had these installed for a couple years now and haven't had to replace a bulb yet.  No diminishing in the light output so far either.

I do like the stand lighting you've purchased but like cvodon stated, they would always be taking up working space where you need to be... ;D

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »

Were they the older fluorescent fixtures? If so, what LED lights did you use to replace the tubes?

The fixtures were installed in 2004.  They are 4 T8 bulb fixtures that have 4' bulbs.

I am pretty sure they are Sylvania T8 32 watt replacement LED Daylight 5000K.  I got them at Lowe's.  I know they were the brightest color I could get, the 5000K.

I'm off shore at the moment but I can double check when I get home in a couple weeks if you would like. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 09:19:20 AM »

The fixtures were installed in 2004.  They are 4 T8 bulb fixtures that have 4' bulbs.

I am pretty sure they are Sylvania T8 32 watt replacement LED Daylight 5000K.  I got them at Lowe's.  I know they were the brightest color I could get, the 5000K.

I'm off shore at the moment but I can double check when I get home in a couple weeks if you would like.
please,let us know,dave i want to upgrade from florescent to the leds! thanks!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 01:44:26 PM »

This looks great for my application. I could replace my my 2x2 4ft fixtures with these 8 ft fixtures. Lowes? Home Depot? Other?

Simon,

Here you go.  Funny I paid $135.00 each before.

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Fixture-Equivalent-Fluorescent-Brighter/dp/B00QAMVFYC
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2018, 01:56:45 AM »

Anyone used these?
If they're for your garage, I would use either open bulb industrial fixtures (w/ LEDs, of course) or maybe those with a diffuser cover on them, like they have for kitchens.  Some (many?) of those indoor fixtures don't have replaceable LEDs; when (if) they go bad, you have to replace the entire fixture.  I have a couple of those small ones in the house.

Put a 4 x 4' LED fixture (has a diffuser cover) in the kitchen.  So much better than the fluorescent fixture it had.

Most of the previously-fluorescent fixtures in the garage have LEDs in them.  Much brighter, faster, and not affected by cold weather.  Always had a few bulbs that didn't fire up when below 40 deg.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 04:42:22 PM »

If they're for your garage, I would use either open bulb industrial fixtures (w/ LEDs, of course) or maybe those with a diffuser cover on them, like they have for kitchens.  Some (many?) of those indoor fixtures don't have replaceable LEDs; when (if) they go bad, you have to replace the entire fixture.  I have a couple of those small ones in the house.

Put a 4 x 4' LED fixture (has a diffuser cover) in the kitchen.  So much better than the fluorescent fixture it had.

Most of the previously-fluorescent fixtures in the garage have LEDs in them.  Much brighter, faster, and not affected by cold weather.  Always had a few bulbs that didn't fire up when below 40 deg.
Thanks, that answered my question. Time to change bulbs in my shop

BigLew55

• Elite CVO Member
    • IA

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 04:46:13 PM »

Anyone used these?

I have S and U in my house.  U is over my table on a dimmer.  I also have a pair of smaller round ones in my hallway.  Very happy with them, but thought seriously about putting them all on a dimmer.
Big Lew
IBA #595
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 21 queries.