Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: My 2018 CVO Limited is In, Now to Pick Engine Mods  (Read 5519 times)

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

My 2018 CVO Limited is In, Now to Pick Engine Mods
« on: January 24, 2018, 02:48:35 PM »

:orange: :mango: :bananarock: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pepper: :pineapple:  :2vrolijk_21:

Like the title says, I just got the call. The truck carrying my new bike has arrived. The dealer just called me. Unfortunately I am working 14 hours (0530-2000) all week and we have maintenance scheduled for the weekend, sigh. So I won't even get to see the bike until maybe next Thurs.

Anyway lets discuss important stuff, like engine mods! My dealer threw in an extended warrantee to get my signature so I guess these upgrades are going to be all Screaming Eagle. (sigh) I know that FM or GMR or Fullsac stuff would make more power, but I just can't say no to 7 years of warrantee.

So here is my current plan. (subject to change) I am going to start with the SE High Flow exhaust. I heard that Fullsac is making the header for HD. (Can anyone verify this?) It has the 4.5" Street Cannons with the cats in the muffler. The idea is 2 cats will flow more than 1. Then comes the Stage 4 kit. The trick is that I want to use the Stage 3 cam instead of the one that comes with Stage 4. As I understand it the 3 is more of low to mid range cam as opposed to the high rev cam in the 4 kit. My dealer sees no problem with this.

Does anyone know of any dyno charts for 2018 117" CVOs with a HD Stage 3 or Stage 4. Please don't bring up the Gawd awful HD dyno chart!

So, have I missed anything? Will the stock clutch be happy? Should I be considering anything else? What do you think?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 02:51:06 PM by PFWiz »

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
Re: My 2018 CVO Limited is In, Now to Pick Engine Mods
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »

I also want to keep the warranty on my 107, so I was going to use the HD Stage 2 cam with their Stage 3 big bore/pistons kit.  Problem:  MoCo doesn't have a fuel map for that combination, and no plans to produce one.  Keeping the warranty prohibited any non-HD map...so no joy. Ended up going with Stage 3 kit with its cam.  Still in break-in phase, but runs very well.

Spook120 on here has installed that combo you want, but used TTS and a Jackpot header, and doesn't have the warranty.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

harleytacticalnut

• Harleytacticalnut
  • Full CVO Member
  • Don’t Tread On Me
    • VA

• CVO1: 2013 FXSBSE,
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHXSE, 2017 FLHXSE, 2018 FLTRXSE
    • CVO3: 2019 FLTRXSE, 2020 FLHTKSE, 2021 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 08:57:03 PM »

:orange: :mango: :bananarock: :apple: :carrot: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pepper: :pineapple:  :2vrolijk_21:

Like the title says, I just got the call. The truck carrying my new bike has arrived. The dealer just called me. Unfortunately I am working 14 hours (0530-2000) all week and we have maintenance scheduled for the weekend, sigh. So I won't even get to see the bike until maybe next Thurs.

Anyway lets discuss important stuff, like engine mods! My dealer threw in an extended warrantee to get my signature so I guess these upgrades are going to be all Screaming Eagle. (sigh) I know that FM or GMR or Fullsac stuff would make more power, but I just can't say no to 7 years of warrantee.

So here is my current plan. (subject to change) I am going to start with the SE High Flow exhaust. I heard that Fullsac is making the header for HD. (Can anyone verify this?) It has the 4.5" Street Cannons with the cats in the muffler. The idea is 2 cats will flow more than 1. Then comes the Stage 4 kit. The trick is that I want to use the Stage 3 cam instead of the one that comes with Stage 4. As I understand it the 3 is more of low to mid range cam as opposed to the high rev cam in the 4 kit. My dealer sees no problem with this.

Does anyone know of any dyno charts for 2018 117" CVOs with a HD Stage 3 or Stage 4. Please don't bring up the Gawd awful HD dyno chart!

So, have I missed anything? Will the stock clutch be happy? Should I be considering anything else? What do you think?

If I were in your shoes which I have been. I would not consider any stage upgrades right now with the m8 unless your willing to lose a lot of riding time and maybe an entire season like I did last year when my bikes were sumping. I like the S&S Eldorado mk45 m8 true dual exhaust. They are a much better fit and finish than the harley exhaust. They are EPA compliant and have a much better design to actually remove the sound baffle. I would definitely install the street tuner. I installed the harley ATM with my street tuner and noticed a crisper and cleaner running tune. No matter what others spew about that set up. It is 100% verified by Harley with a little more flexibility that just being forced with everything screaming eagle. You could also use the s&S intake and remain compliant. Even though I love the m8 heavy breather and is what I am using.
Defend the 2nd Amendment with your life

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 09:17:33 PM »

I take it I won't be seeing you at the motorcycle show this weekend then Scott?

Anyway. My service manager was telling me about the auto tune module that goes on the new M8 similar to a Thundermax and is getting good results. I believe HTNut is talking about the same thing in the previous post. Ask your dealer about it. If he doesn't have a clear answer, Call Chris in Service down at Freedom in North Canton and tell him I sent you. You should still have my number and can call (normally between 6-10pm) if you need to get any more info from me.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 07:30:40 AM »

If I were in your shoes which I have been. I would not consider any stage upgrades right now with the m8 unless your willing to lose a lot of riding time and maybe an entire season like I did last year when my bikes were sumping. I like the S&S Eldorado mk45 m8 true dual exhaust. They are a much better fit and finish than the harley exhaust. They are EPA compliant and have a much better design to actually remove the sound baffle. I would definitely install the street tuner. I installed the harley ATM with my street tuner and noticed a crisper and cleaner running tune. No matter what others spew about that set up. It is 100% verified by Harley with a little more flexibility that just being forced with everything screaming eagle. You could also use the s&S intake and remain compliant. Even though I love the m8 heavy breather and is what I am using.

Ohio has a strong Lemon law (ask me how I know!) that includes motorcycles. Harley will be buying back my bike before I put up the kind of stuff that has been happening to you. If I have to be afraid whether or not my new bike is going to run then I own the wrong brand of bike.... >:(

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 12:08:33 AM »

Dealers are at the mid year dealer meeting this weekend, you may be seeing some new SE parts introduced
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 06:40:38 AM »

I heard this, can't wait to see the results!

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 12:09:12 PM »

Look at my other post I did the 117 CVO 2018 from stock to stock improved , stage 1 and stage II . I know its not the HD items but it gives out an idea
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »

Look at my other post I did the 117 CVO 2018 from stock to stock improved , stage 1 and stage II . I know its not the HD items but it gives out an idea

Your other post makes me drool!
If I didn't have the 7 year warranty I would be doing that!  :-\

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 04:43:07 PM »

I have to say that the Stage I kit was very nice and I did ride the bike between these changes . I can say that the CVO 117 with the cam is a pleasure to ride .. Sorry i cannot be more helpful
2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com

grahn1967

• FL

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 08:02:51 PM »

What do you want the machine to do for you ? Are you wanting to make modifications to simply throw cash at it ?
Thundermax ECM, Darkhorse Crank and rods, R & R Heads,D & D Fat cat,Feuling oil pump and camplate,S & S Gear drive,S & S 585 easy start, Progressive front and rear,WO577 CHUBBY, Hogtunes all over.

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2018, 10:59:28 AM »

What do you want the machine to do for you ? Are you wanting to make modifications to simply throw cash at it ?

You nailed it!
I have too much money and my wife said it is filling up the spare room so I need to get rid of some of it!  :nixweiss:

Sheesh...

I am sorry that I did not realize that I needed to explain myself to you, my mistake.
I want crisper throttle response with effortless and fun acceleration away from a stop or when passing traffic.

Any other questions?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:01:03 AM by PFWiz »

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 11:06:25 AM »

Actually I am starting to seriously consider just doing a stage 2. The power to $ ratio of Harley kits is not particularly favorable from what I can see. Certainly not when compared to some aftermarket offings like Fuel Moto's or GMR's.

If it wasn't for the ESP the my dealer threw in to get me to sign I would not touch the Harley upgrades with a 10' pole. I figure I can live the stage 2. Not what I really want, but what I will accept.  :-\

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2018, 06:31:42 AM »

You nailed it!
I have too much money and my wife said it is filling up the spare room so I need to get rid of some of it!  :nixweiss:

Sheesh...

I am sorry that I did not realize that I needed to explain myself to you, my mistake.
I want crisper throttle response with effortless and fun acceleration away from a stop or when passing traffic.

Any other questions?

Actually the first question he asked is what most engine builders will ask.  What do you want the bike to do? He just did not go on with it the follow ups.  Do you ride cross  country?  Do you bar hop?  Do you want moist the power before 4000 RPM, do you want it after?  Where do you shift?  What RPM range do you ride in?

All those effect how you want the motor built.

I agree with you, with the HD kits you do not get much for your money when going past stage 2.  For a lot less money you can get more for GMR, Fuel Moto and many others.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »

Why not just drive it the way it comes...
Bill

teamshocker23

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2018, 11:33:07 PM »

Why not just do the harley stage kits, it’s then still under warranty if you get harley to do. I have the stage four kit and kept my warranty.   Food for thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 12:02:44 AM »

sacrilegious!!
Alan

Rhamil1221

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • LA

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 01:01:15 AM »

Hey team shocker how you like it with the Stage IV, I’m ready to do my 18 Limited.
Wondering about the cam I want it to kick in low until about 4K
I have Rhinehart full header pipe and tuner she runs good but feels like it’s holding back. My big thing is keeping the warranty also. How about the sumping issue I’ve been reading about, did you replace the I’ll pump too that seems to have fixed the issues. My dealer will take it and have it Dyno tuned when build is completed I’ve read that a stage III is stronger and better but not sure about that. How about the stock intake I’ve been told it’s is high flow but not sure about that either now.
Thanks Randy
2018 CVO Ultra Limited
Burgundy cherry sunglow fade
Rhinehart slimline pipes “black”
Waiting on a map for the tuner

ultrarider123

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 08:20:12 AM »

:bananarock: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenlol2: :orange: :huepfenjump3: ;D :zroflmao: :zroflmao:   Now dat's phuny rat dare....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:37:25 PM by Haird »

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 12:55:09 PM »

You say you want the warranty, but the new headpipe puts it out of warranty technically. Also the dealer will not take it to get it “dyno tuned”. They will install an EPA compliant canned map since legally thats are they can do and keep the warranty intact.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

USNCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited - Black Earth Fade
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2018, 12:13:58 PM »

This will be the 3rd one I've had built at my Harley dealer and they will dyno tune it and stand behind the build.  They did an 07 (96 to 103 conversion), my '15CVO and will be doing my '18CVO.

R/ Don
2018 CVO Limited 140whp/152wtq
Previous
2015 CVO Limited
2007 Ultra 110whp/114wtq
2009, 2005, 2004 Hayabusa

Swbike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2016 CVO ROADGLIDE
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electra Glide
    • CVO3: 2019 RGU CVO wannabe
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2018, 05:05:09 PM »

Why don't you just ride and enjoy your bike just the way it comes?? You spend a lot of money just to have no warranty and unreliabilty. Just saying

PFWiz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2018, 04:12:02 PM »

Why don't you just ride and enjoy your bike just the way it comes?? You spend a lot of money just to have no warranty and unreliabilty. Just saying

If your not going to contribute to the thread why don't keep beak shut?  Just sayin......

USNCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited - Black Earth Fade
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2018, 06:42:43 PM »

I DID spend a lot of $$ on my bikes.  I want them to be different than others that are just like it.  Part of the allure of a Harley is the customization the keeps it from being a "me too" bike.  Additionally if I can make the decision to spend almost $50k on a motorcycle, I can certainly make the decision to spend more money on it to make it more my own.

R/DOn
2018 CVO Limited 140whp/152wtq
Previous
2015 CVO Limited
2007 Ultra 110whp/114wtq
2009, 2005, 2004 Hayabusa

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2018, 11:44:23 PM »

I DID spend a lot of $$ on my bikes.  I want them to be different than others that are just like it.  Part of the allure of a Harley is the customization the keeps it from being a "me too" bike.  Additionally if I can make the decision to spend almost $50k on a motorcycle, I can certainly make the decision to spend more money on it to make it more my own.

R/DOn
well said, I couldn't agree more! Lots of "sickies" like us out there..
Alan
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 21 queries.