Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Magnetti Marelli conversion to more modern EFI ?  (Read 11891 times)

jcd520

Re: Magnetti Marelli conversion to more modern EFI ?
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 10:39:33 PM »

34 mm mikuni.......ive done it twice......99 ultra .....20001 flht.
No problem..... works really well.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2018, 10:43:49 PM »

Someone made a easy EVO points conversion back in 84 that fit right in the cone. The electronic ignition in the early EVO's was a real pain in the ass and the points conversion was real popular. I took the brain out and fit an old kidney tool kit in its place. Chevy six blue streaks and life was good. I'd install one today if it was possible and leave that fancy stuff to you young folks.

Fondly (mostly) remember running carbs for a long long time.  Used to carry a spare actually.  Had the normal carb and the carb setup to run in the mountains.  Would do a quick swap in a parking lot somewhere when knew that day's trip was going to find altitude.

Don't mind carbs and didn't mind points and all that came with them.  Though I was never a big fan of the constant messing with chains.  When fuel injection got decent with the Delphi systems though I'll admit to enjoying the lazy that comes with it. 

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »

Fondly (mostly) remember running carbs for a long long time.  Used to carry a spare actually.  Had the normal carb and the carb setup to run in the mountains.  Would do a quick swap in a parking lot somewhere when knew that day's trip was going to find altitude.

Don't mind carbs and didn't mind points and all that came with them.  Though I was never a big fan of the constant messing with chains.  When fuel injection got decent with the Delphi systems though I'll admit to enjoying the lazy that comes with it.

Still have a old Bendix and points on my Sporty Chopper, one kick most of the time. Very old pic !

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 02:42:40 PM »

You be stylin on that chopper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:21:59 AM »

Still have a old Bendix and points on my Sporty Chopper, one kick most of the time. Very old pic !
I like that way better than the choppers you see today.  Nice looking bike.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

ultrarider123

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 08:41:01 AM »

Someone made a easy EVO points conversion back in 84 that fit right in the cone. The electronic ignition in the early EVO's was a real pain in the ass and the points conversion was real popular. I took the brain out and fit an old kidney tool kit in its place. Chevy six blue streaks and life was good. I'd install one today if it was possible and leave that fancy stuff to you young folks.

Ain't that the truth, Lou.... :2vrolijk_21:

jae30001

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2021, 09:13:25 PM »

Glad to help any time.  It's a bit of a parts list.  The donor bikes are getting old enough that most of the stuff can be had relatively cheaply though.  Will try to work from memory here and see how complete of a parts list can come up with on short notice:

Battery try
ECM bracket
ECM from 04-05-06
Main harness from 04-05
Engine harness from 04-05
Interconnect harness from 04-05
02-05 throttle body
Fuel pump and float assy (all the guts in the tank) 02-07 (think that's right)
gasket and screws for fuel pump assy above
Gauges from 04-13 bike
charging system

Options on the charging system:  You can make the original Marelli era charging system work.  Not recommended. 

Can use the 02-05 charging system parts and it'll be plug and play to the harness you'd be using.  Easiest option and works ok unless you load the bike up with lots of lights, heated riding gear and saddles, etc.

If you want all the charging capacity you can get use the 06-09 three phase charging system parts.  Not quite plug and play but almost.  One pigtail change and you're home.

It's been awhile since I've done the charging system swap on a 01 and earlier bike.  I think I remember having to open up the holes in the legs of the regulator just a bit to make it mount.

If you do this you no longer use (and good riddance) the old cam position sensor.  You'll also need a plug for one of the two holes in the gas tank a new fuel line from the tank to the throttle body.  I think I remember the coupler in the tank needing to be changed to match the new line as well.  Not sure there but, if so, Drag Specialties has that fitting with a new hose attached for cheap.

It's a large enough collection of parts that if you just goes balls to the wall and by whatever you can find first it can get expensive.  Be patient though and a lot of this stuff can be had cheap.  eBay is your friend if you're patient.

Pay special attention to harnesses on eBay.  I did exactly this job to a bike from a buddy in Tulsa a year or two ago.  The harness had a bad wire in it for the serial bus data signal so the tach and speedo didn't work.  Took me longer than it should to isolate the problem then a half hour to pull a new wire from someplace where the data signal was still good at the TSSM to up inside the fairing.  Cheap fix in a six foot piece of wire and a couple connectors but it took time.

Get all the pieces in hand and it's a fun Saturday job to change it all out.  Then when done the old bike is all the vintage of Delphi parts that has such a large fleet in service that parts will still be available for a long time.

This thread needs to be sticky.  Plenty of bikes getting passed down and resto without modern how to for approach.

I'm currently trying to convert my 2001 into the delphi system.  I will take your advice and later down the road upgrade the charging system.

Can you say specifically which harness works best?  And for the ecm.. I was going to go with thundermax.  Comes with 2 o2s.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2021, 10:19:24 PM »

Saw your PM and responded there before looking here.  Good luck!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2021, 10:30:54 PM »

For posterity's sake (and future reference)a summary of the PM to the 01 rider would be something like:

04-05 harnesses and an 02-05 throttle body along with all the other parts.  Pretty much a plug and play job.

06-07 harnesses and an 06-07 throttle body along with all the other parts.  Pretty much a plug and play job.

Have done both of those a few times.

Or....

2008 and you've got some options.  But it's not entirely plug and play.  Close, but not quite.  You can use 2008 ABS for the donor conversion parts and make an old Marelli bike (or a pre-08 Delphi bike) an ABS bike.  It's more work and more parts but it's a do-able proposition.  Have done two of these (and wish I'd done my own like that years ago when I converted it).

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2021, 10:32:40 PM »

But........

A carburetor swap is also always an option.  Cheaper.  Less parts and less work.  But if you want fuel injection...   Well?

d3v1ld0g

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • IL

• CVO1: 1999 Heritage Springer “sold”
    • CVO2: 2011 CVORGU “sold”
    • CVO3: 2001 SERG
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2021, 09:45:38 PM »

But........

A carburetor swap is also always an option.  Cheaper.  Less parts and less work.  But if you want fuel injection...   Well?

Does the cruise control still work if you go carb?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2021, 10:22:25 PM »

Does the cruise control still work if you go carb?

Yes.  Maybe.

Would strongly suspect that the extra bracket for the bellcrank on CV carbs to accept the cruise control's actuator cable (they call it a stepper cable) has been obsoleted by Mother Harley.  A company called Rivera Engineering used to make brackets for the E and G carbs and the Mikunis to add cruise to them.  No idea if Rivera still making them though. 

Even if gone from Harley adding cruise to an old Road King wouldn't scare me off.  The bike's main harness will already have the cruise control wiring built in to.  You'd need the cruise module and it's cable.  Some kind of a little bracket to swing lower from the bellcrank could be fab'd up from scratch (I made one from spare bits several years ago -- if I can anyone can) if one were so inclined.  Only other parts you'd need would be a pair of switches and a different set of switch housings on the handlebars.

You could re-use your original switches and just add the cruise switches.  You can actually doing just adding the switch on the right side.  That's the side with all the actual cruise control functions.  The one on the left is just a master on/off switch.  Instead of using that switch (pricey anymore) you could simply take the on/off wires to the toggle accessory switch that already exists on the back of the headlight nacelle.

If you stayed fuel injected the FI throttle bodies all have the connection point for the cruise cable.  Would still have to add the module, cable, and switch or switches.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.