Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fork oil service Q.  (Read 2906 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Fork oil service Q.
« on: February 16, 2018, 09:21:56 PM »

I've been trying to get some info on when the fork oil in my 07 Ultra Classic should be changed. What I've come across is a lot of discrepancy from changing it at 10k, 20k, to 50k.
Harley recommended to change it at 20k.
I came across this article on fork oil service on the Ultra Classic

The telescoping front forks on a Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic motorcycle are filled with Type E Harley fork oil. This oil will become contaminated over time, even during routine riding conditions. As such, the oil needs to be drained and replaced with fresh, new oil. Harley recommends that the fork oil on an Ultra Classic be replaced after every 20,000 miles. There are two factory-recommended procedures for replacing this oil. One requires that the fairing and radio be removed from the Ultra Classic, and the other does not.

Remove the core from the front fork air valve located on the right rear of the motorcycle using a valve stem remover. Allow all the air to bleed out of the system.

Unscrew both large drain plug screws located on the bottom of each fork with a large, cross-tipped screwdriver. It may be necessary to use a hammer-operated impact screwdriver to accomplish this.

Drain the oil from each fork into a suitable drain pan. Clean up any spilled oil before proceeding.

Reinstall just one of the two removed drain plugs. Attach an air suspension pump to the air valve for the front forks. Gently apply pressure to assist with further fork oil drainage. Disconnect the pump when fluid no longer drains from the fork.

Attach a vacuum tool to the air valve. Pour 9.7 oz. (287 ml) of Type E fork oil into a small container. Run a battery vent tube or other suitably-sized tubing from the container of fork oil to the open drain hole.

Turn on or actuate the pump long enough to draw all of the fork oil into the front fork. Reinstall the drain plug and repeat for the opposite side.

Screw the core back into the air valve with a valve stem remover. Pump in small amounts of air with the air suspension pump to achieve your desired amount of fork suspension.

The air bit threw me is there air pressure in the forks along with the the oil ?
What type of forks are on the 07 Ultra?
 As it seems there are different types of forks on different models.
My manual isn't that clear as to the type of fork that's on my 07 there's a referral as to the left fork cartridge but I'm not sure if it's referring to the FHLTC2 or the FHLT.

I'd appreciate any help clearing up the the confused state I'm in as to the right guide lines I should follow for the forks that are on the 07. This will be my first time doing forks I'd like to be sure I'm doing it right.

My clock has just turned 20k

J.D.

Re: Fork oil service Q.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:29:20 PM »

If your front forks have air assist like the rears you can vacuum the new fluid back in as stated.  If not, the oil will need to be filled from the top.

Based on the appearance of the oil from the few 20k drains I've seen I'd suggest more frequently.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 10:42:42 PM »

As best I can remember, the last Electra Glides that had air assisted front suspension were back in the mid 1990's.  Your 2007 does not have air forks, and that drain and fill routine you quoted does not apply to your bike.

Your forks are the standard type used on regular 2007 Electra Glides.  This link will give you the exploded view and parts list for the forks:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=640&b=30&c=0&d=2007%20FLHTCUSE2%20SCREAMIN%27%20EAGLE%AE%20ULTRA%20CLASSIC%20ELECTRA%20GLIDE%20(PR)%20SUSPENSION%20-%20FRONT%20FORK%20ASSEMBLY

One leg has a damper valve in addition to the damper rod, which can make trying to do just a simple drain and fill difficult.  Try to get your hands on the real shop manual for the bike for the full explanation of the recommended method to drain and fill.  I'm pretty sure they recommend partial disassembly of the leg with the damper valve in order to completely drain and then correctly fill that leg.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 02:48:04 AM »

Thanks guys,

I found this on the 07, in pdf,. 2007 Ultra Classic Electra Glide ­ Owner's Manual

Regular Service Intervals: 2007 Touring Models

ITEM
SERVICED
PROCEDURE 1000
MI.
KM
MI.
KM
MI.
KM
MI.
KM
MI.
KM
MI.
KM
NOTES  1 2 3 4
Engine oil and
filter
Replace X X X X X X
Oil lines and
brake system
Inspect for leaks X X X X X X 1
Air cleaner Inspect, service as
required
X X X X X X
Tires Check pressure, inspect
tread
X X X X X X
Wheel spokes Check tightness X X X 1
Primary
chaincase
lubricant
Replace X X X
Transmission
lubricant
Replace X X
Clutch Check adjustment X X X X X X 1
Rear belt and
sprockets
Inspect, adjust belt X X X X X X 1
Throttle, brake
and clutch
controls
Check, adjust and
lubricate
X X X X X X 1
Jiffy stand Inspect and lubricate X X X X X X 1
Fuel lines and
fittings
Inspect for leaks X X X X X X 1
Fuel tank filter Replace X 1
Brake fluid Check levels and
condition
X X X X X X 4
Brake pads and
discs
Inspect for wear X X X X X X
Spark plugs Inspect X X X X X
Replace X
Electrical
equipment and
switches
Check operation X X X X X X
Front fork oil Replace 1, 2

NOTES: 1. Should be performed by an authorized Harley­Davidson dealer, unless you
have the proper tools, service data and are mechanically qualified.
2. Disassemble, lubricate and inspect every 50,000 miles (80,000 kilometers).

X relates to the service miles. The fork oil has no service X   only reference to note 1&2

Not having the long term experience that some of you have do you think this info is pushing the envelope on the service and it should be done in much sooner intervals.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:51:59 AM by longlast »

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 03:43:01 AM »

Longlast - Have had better results with Screamin' Eagle Performance fork oil than regular - my preference.  A bit stiffer ride with SE, less front end dive in the curves.  Others prefer stock HD fork oil, or something in between.  For reference: https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=44716.0
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 08:49:27 AM »

I changed my fork oil around 20,000 miles using the drain and fill method, and went with a slightly higher viscosity.  The 50,000 mile recommendation is for a full service of the front suspension, completely removing and disassembling the forks, cleaning, inspecting and changing seals, etc.  At the same time you would service the steering head bearings.  The bike has a grease fitting to allow adding grease to the head bearings at shorter intervals, but eventually you do need to actually disassemble, clean and inspect bearings and races, and repack.  Btw, the 2014 and later bikes no longer have a grease fitting and the full service interval for those bikes is now 25,000 miles.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 10:58:30 AM »

I thought that 50k was for a complete overhaul milage, but it didn't show any oil change service milage in the scale for the forks. That kind of threw me.
I have greased the steering head bearing. I actually changed the grease fitting from a straight fitting to a 45% fitting.

I'll get some of the Screamin' Eagle Performance fork oil  15wt from what I'm understanding its a happy way to go from the stock oil. I do find the front-end a bit soft especially in corners it seems to want to wonder a bit I'll see if the 15wt helps.
Thanks guys!

snowrider13

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2018, 02:44:17 PM »

What weight is Type E oil? I have heard several different versions. Even 2 HD dealers shrugged there shoulders when I asked.

J.D.

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 03:02:52 PM »

Viscosity charts generally match to 10w-15w depending on aftermarket brand.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.