Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Vision tuner vs license  (Read 2276 times)

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

Power Vision tuner vs license
« on: February 21, 2018, 03:24:20 PM »

Will be tuning my 05 SEEG and the tuner prefers the Power Vision. I could buy the whole device or just pay for a license. Unless I buy the full set of cables with the device, I don't see a benefit to spending the extra $$$ over the license. Exhaust will have bungs for sensors but, my computer doesn't have them.  Looking for a reason to buy or not to buy the device.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

harleytuner

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
    • VA

• Wide Open Cycles
Re: Power Vision tuner vs license
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 03:41:25 PM »

Will be tuning my 05 SEEG and the tuner prefers the Power Vision. I could buy the whole device or just pay for a license. Unless I buy the full set of cables with the device, I don't see a benefit to spending the extra $$$ over the license. Exhaust will have bungs for sensors but, my computer doesn't have them.  Looking for a reason to buy or not to buy the device.

Vision comes with the cables. 
110" - T-man HiComp pistons - RoederRacing Heads - GMR 577 cams - HPI 55 - FatCat - AIM clutch - Vision

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 04:06:22 PM »

Vision comes with the cables.
In my ignorance, I have to ask, cables/sensors for exhaust? DJ states you can see real time information with their device. Unless hooked up to exhaust, wouldn't I be missing info?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 04:46:49 PM »

In my ignorance, I have to ask, cables/sensors for exhaust? DJ states you can see real time information with their device. Unless hooked up to exhaust, wouldn't I be missing info?

Understood the sensors come with the autotune piece which is not part of the "PowerVision" its an add-on accessory.

Depending on the version of power vision you should get the ecm cable for your bike included.   If you want the 6 pin and the 4 pin you would have to buy the one you didnt get with your powervision.   In your case Brian if you wanted both cables you would have to purchase the 6 pin separately as your 05 takes the 4 pin.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Alremc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 05:58:04 PM »

If you are taking to a tuner as I did, why would you need the device? Do you plan on making changes on your own? I know the cost of a tuner isn't cheap and I personally don't have plans on modifying all the work he did. JMHO.
Frank
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Fullsac X-Pipe
Rhineharts 4 in Cans in black
TTS MasterTune

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 06:32:20 PM »

If you are taking to a tuner as I did, why would you need the device? Do you plan on making changes on your own? I know the cost of a tuner isn't cheap and I personally don't have plans on modifying all the work he did. JMHO.
My thoughts are, perhaps a highway tune (mpg) and a city (hp) tune. Also being able to monitor motor conditions. Not sure what I will be able to see but,,,,,,,. Also worried about a the possibility of a difference in a dyno tune vs street difference. Is there such a thing?

Alremc

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Classic Electra Glide
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »

My thoughts are, perhaps a highway tune (mpg) and a city (hp) tune. Also being able to monitor motor conditions. Not sure what I will be able to see but,,,,,,,. Also worried about a the possibility of a difference in a dyno tune vs street difference. Is there such a thing?
Not sure about dyno vs street but a good tuner will tune the bike to get the most out of it and should ask you what you want out of the tune. So you should go in knowing what you want to accomplish from doing the tune, hp? Tq? Mileage?  And what most of your riding style is ie gunning it from stop light to stop light or mostly cruising but wanting to be able to kick it up time to time. In regards to hwy, city my tuner will reprogram the bike if I needed it to get the most mileage for a trip or need torque to pull something.  As for monitoring, you probably feel something go array before you see it. Something I want to monitor would be oil pressure and batt but bike already does that and with a good tune,the bike should run cooler.
Frank
2012 CVO Ultra Classic
Fullsac X-Pipe
Rhineharts 4 in Cans in black
TTS MasterTune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 09:57:36 PM »

IF the bike is tuned properly by a competent professional, it shouldn't be necessary to have a different tune for various riding conditions.  The engine management system is quite capable of handling the difference between highway cruising and stoplight dragster mode if tuned correctly.  Do you have different tunes in your car or truck?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 07:01:27 AM »

I ended up just doing the license. I guess sometimes it would be nice to monitor a few things, but if the tune is spot-on and you stay on task with maintenance, you should be able to ride worry-free even in various conditions. I just kinda repeated what GRC said, but in my own way I guess :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 07:03:00 AM by Scott7d »
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »

IF the bike is tuned properly by a competent professional, it shouldn't be necessary to have a different tune for various riding conditions.  The engine management system is quite capable of handling the difference between highway cruising and stoplight dragster mode if tuned correctly.  Do you have different tunes in your car or truck?

Jerry

X-2 There is NO substitute for a ( one) good professional tune
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 02:05:10 PM »

Ok. $230 saved. Hope my buddy's guy is as good as he says.  ::)

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 06:50:02 PM »

Ok. $230 saved. Hope my buddy's guy is as good as he says.  ::)
If it's Rob, he is. And if it's him , he just set up a build I did last week, and like all the others he's done for me, right on the money.
John
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:54:47 PM by johnsachs »

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 07:34:32 PM »

If it's Rob, he is. And if it's him , he just set up a build I did last week, and like all the others he's done for me, right on the money.
John
Happy to hear the endorsement. It's a long trip to get a fix. And I keep hearing good things about the builder I choose. Sure hope he is legit too.  :2vrolijk_21:

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 21 queries.