Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tour pak / old vs new  (Read 1831 times)

Farm boy

Tour pak / old vs new
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:51:25 AM »

Which tour pak is more durable ? The fiberglas or the abs ?
Thanks in advance.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Tour pak / old vs new
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »

Found this article:

https://batwing-fairing.com/blog/fiberglass-vs-abs/

Obviously they are prejudiced since they manufacture fiberglas products but they do raise some good points.  Now with that being said many of us have been unfortunate to damage ABS fairings, saddlebags, etc., and while they can be repaired / repainted I find that the cost of doing that is high enough to warrant just buying a new part from one of the discounting dealers.  I would think the cost of repairing fiberglas would also be high.  That's just been my experience.  Others may differ. 

Personally I prefer ABS.  It is smoother and I think the painted part looks better.  And if you decide to add something decorative - rack, rails, bling, etc., -that required drilling holes the ABS is easier to work with.  Drilling fiberglas and getting a smooth hole without splintering can be done but requires more care.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 03:22:40 PM »

The older units were fiberglass and easily repairable. Any shop that works on Corvettes can do it and match the paint.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/tcmtinc/m.html?item=162871020969&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Here is a link for ABS parts made in China, but I'm sure Harley gets them from the same source. I've ordered a few things from them and waiting to see how their service works out. Everything has tracking numbers and the communication has been good.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 03:31:53 PM by grandpadoc »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 05:59:34 PM »

I've ordered what turned out to be very nice ABS parts from a place called The Fairing Factory.  Got a razor tour pak and a set of extended saddlebags.  The pieces were great, ABS itself was good, the molds were very accurate with all pre-drilled holes spot on.  Prices reasonable too. 

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:09:04 PM »

I've ordered what turned out to be very nice ABS parts from a place called The Fairing Factory.  Got a razor tour pak and a set of extended saddlebags.  The pieces were great, ABS itself was good, the molds were very accurate with all pre-drilled holes spot on.  Prices reasonable too.

I just ordered a set of DayMakers from them and see you have some experience with the cheap knock offs. Looking for the link.

windjammer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTSSE2 sold
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 07:28:01 PM »

Harley does not buy but them from an outside vendor they are pressed at the plant in Tomahawk, WI

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 09:51:57 AM »

I just ordered a set of DayMakers from them and see you have some experience with the cheap knock offs. Looking for the link.

Two links below.  One to vendor's site one to listings on eBay of their products.  I found price differences in he customer's favor on eBay when I got my saddlebags.

The razor tour pak I put on the Road King came from them.  Got the kit with the newer style hardware included.  Prep for the painter was minimal.  Good thick ABS.  All the bolt holes lined up and were pre-drilled.  No complaints at all.  Have a set of extended saddlebags going to put on the Road King at the same painter right now.  Test fit some bag hardware before sending to paint and all the holes were spot on there too.

http://fairingfactoryproducts.com/

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=%28fairing+factory%29&_sacat=0

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 21 queries.