Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2016 CVO Street Glide ratteling noice at idling?  (Read 2605 times)

Esonhd

• Esonhd
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

• CVO1: 2016 Street Glide CVO
    • CVO2: 2004 Road King Classic
2016 CVO Street Glide ratteling noice at idling?
« on: March 04, 2018, 06:54:50 AM »

I have a ratteling kind of noice at idling, at least some time after
It stops when you pull the cluth, then comeback back after releasing it.
Hard to tell exactly from where, but it seems like from the right lower end.
Has anyone heard of this?
The warranty is ending in april so....

/ Peter

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: 2016 CVO Street Glide ratteling noice at idling?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:51:57 AM »

search, neutral rattle, in the drive train section. my 16 RGU has it and has been to the shop but got no help from HD cause they all do that is what i was told...lol.... Texas 103 has done some work on his and has some posts of his (research) on the issue. as for me i have learned to ignore it,  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:58:43 AM by fastfreddy »
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:14:19 AM »

That noise is commonly referred to as neutral rattle, and one contributor to it is the amount of lash in the first gear pair.  The reason it goes away when you disengage the clutch is the trans input shaft stops rotating after you disengage the clutch.  Is this something you've had since new, or something that just popped up recently?  If only recently, then I'd say you may have something else going on and need to have the dealership document it on a repair order and check it out.  Even if they come back and say they couldn't find a cause and basically blow you off, you would then have it documented (make sure they give you your copy of the work order) that you attempted to get it fixed while the bike was in warranty.

Texas103 recently posted another possible cause involving the automatic primary chain tensioner.  As he noted, if it's the chain tensioner it can be verified by running the bike with the primary cover off and applying pressure to the tensioner.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114907

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Esonhd

• Esonhd
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:07:42 AM »

It's been there sinne IT was newww....

/ Peter

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 06:15:59 AM »

Make sure that all your heat shields are tight.  Also, I've had that noise on another bike and it was a loose baffle.   :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

B2

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:27:13 PM »

Sounds like the rattle I had on my 16 SE RGU last year.  Once the engine got hot it really rattled at idle. The HD dealer said they couldn’t duplicate the rattle, of course not, but they put in Spectro oil and the rattle never came back.

ACfixer

• Global Warming Enthusiast
  • Senior CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 2015 FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLSTSCi Springer
    • CVO3: Honda Pioneer 1000-5
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »

Search my thread on the subject from a year or two ago. They ended up replacing the trans once and then some compensator bearings another time if memory serves me.

Does it sound like this?

2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue/Crushed Sapphire
15" Freedom shield - TTS Tuned by Fullsac - Fullsac DX pipe - 2.0 cores. 96HP - 113TQ

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »

That noise is commonly referred to as neutral rattle, and one contributor to it is the amount of lash in the first gear pair.  The reason it goes away when you disengage the clutch is the trans input shaft stops rotating after you disengage the clutch.  Is this something you've had since new, or something that just popped up recently?  If only recently, then I'd say you may have something else going on and need to have the dealership document it on a repair order and check it out.  Even if they come back and say they couldn't find a cause and basically blow you off, you would then have it documented (make sure they give you your copy of the work order) that you attempted to get it fixed while the bike was in warranty.

Texas103 recently posted another possible cause involving the automatic primary chain tensioner.  As he noted, if it's the chain tensioner it can be verified by running the bike with the primary cover off and applying pressure to the tensioner. Like you said it's a real quick test with a screwdriver to see what's going on.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=114907

Jerry

X-2 Jerry! ..lot of head scratching before we got my issue figured out and I'll bet a lot of them out there have the same issue thinking it's in the trans. When you pull the clutch in you have less spinning mass and the chain whip is different and it gets quieter.  I know a lot of the good tuners/builders use  the OEM tensioner just fine . Think it has a lot if not everything to do with the idle characteristics  of the motor..  Mine just didn't like the OEM  adjuster...  and I could't get it to quiet down no matter how it was adjusted.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 09:29:32 PM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Esonhd

• Esonhd
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 05:47:27 AM »

Heard the video - mine doesn't sound that hard, but otherwise it's pretty much the same,
the difference when young engage/disengache the clutch and so on....
And it's been there since it was brand new.....

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 10:11:14 AM »

Heard the video - mine doesn't sound that hard, but otherwise it's pretty much the same,
the difference when young engage/disengache the clutch and so on....
And it's been there since it was brand new.....

Do the simple and easy check first. Check the OEM tensioner. pull the primary cover, fire it up , stick a screwdriver between the base  and on the bottom of the shoe then pry up. Your noise may go away.. If so , you know what to do next...
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.