Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Lost a Lifter  (Read 7699 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Lost a Lifter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2018, 04:18:49 PM »

Trade it to the dealer.  Next guys buys an ESP with it and when it grenades ESP replaces engine.  Everyone sleeps at night.

On a now 13 year old bike?  Bullchit.  Plus, even if the bike were young enough to allow the option, who says the salesman isn't pitching the bike as being good-to-go.  That, as would likely be the case, would make one think twice about spending extra for a service contract. 

The "everyone sleeps at night" comes from everyone simply owning up to what's theirs and their responsibilities.  My crap is my problem, not to be passed on to the next guy.  I know now at least one site member I'll not being shopping used parts, bikes or work from.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 04:19:50 PM »

Right you are Don.   :2vrolijk_21:

And as for the suggestion of trading it to a dealer so next owner can get and ESP . . . it is a 2005 model year bike.  Don't have details but that might not be available.

What can we say Jerry.  We're old farts.  Are lenses see a different color than those of others.....

J.D.

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 04:21:34 PM »

For all we know the crank bearings are ok.  Even if not pristine might still be just fine.  Oil appearance and pan shrapnel will give a good indication.  Everything in the camchest will be inspected and replaced as needed.  Replace oil cooler and try it out.  If ok, done.  If not then engine comes out.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2018, 04:22:08 PM »

No trades.  Already have 2 and not looking to spend a bunch of money to keep 2.  If I sell it, I'll only have one.  Most likely will pull the motor and split the cases.  Will check the crank for play/debris and make a decision then.  Already have $300 in parts and still need bearings, gaskets and an oil pump.  Not looking to dump on anyone and still not sure I'll sell it.  Annual cost is insurance and maintenance (until this) so it's almost not worth selling it despite the repair cost.

Still getting quotes on the crank rebuild which is the only labor I will have to pay for so hoping to get this done in the $1000 to $1200 range.  Looking forward to the adventure....... ???

Chris
2003 Special Edition Firefighter Road King
2005 Cherry Screamin Eagle Electra Glide

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2018, 04:57:28 PM »

Good luck getting it sorted. Hope it's not too painful. Have fun when it's done!

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 05:40:39 PM »

OUCH. THAT SUCKS.

I HAVE AN 2011 SESG. AND ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT THAT HAPPENING

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2018, 06:27:24 PM »

For all we know the crank bearings are ok.  Even if not pristine might still be just fine.  Oil appearance and pan shrapnel will give a good indication.  Everything in the camchest will be inspected and replaced as needed.  Replace oil cooler and try it out.  If ok, done.  If not then engine comes out.
I'll go out on a very short limb and say with almost 100% certainty that the crank bearings are compromised.  I've lost 4 motors due to this short of chit and all the debris that circulated through the system is a death sentence to bearings.  It may not fail right away but it is compromised . . . no doubt.

Good luck getting it sorted.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2018, 07:08:27 PM »

Crank main bearings, rod bearings or all of them?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 11:16:12 AM »

All should be checked. There is no 100% assurance this is done right without splitting the cases. Cranks are serviced by aftermarket and main bearings have had several updates so you will install the latest which are fine for the application. If I had it apart and a rod stuck by testing I would just order an S&S crank. The CVO 103 crank is discontinued and the replacement from HD is nowhere near as robust plus has a larger runout specification.

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »

An easy check is to pull the Crank Position Sensor,,, doesn't tell the whole tale,,, but it is a good indicator...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »

Finally getting around to fix this and I have some questions. 

Gaskets - HD or something else.  Looking for quality not cost.

Thinking about changing the valve stem seals while it's apart.  Again, HD or something better.  Gonna have to take it to a shop to get them changed.

Pulling the motor.  Never done this so I'm looking for advice from those who have.  I have pulled the top ends (forgot how much fun this was) so I'm guessing pulling just the cases won't be too bad.  No way to properly torques the top of the rear cylinder in the frame so I'm thinking of putting that back on before I install the motor.  Maybe install both??  Advice?

Gonna clean the cam case, oil filter and cooler, thermostat (may replace) and clean the oil pan.  Anything else to clean?  Cases will be split and all bearings and seals will be replaced.  New cam, lifters and cam bearings are here, getting ready to order the rest.

Thanks in advance for the advice.  Really looking forward to this project.....NOT!

Chris

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »

Use genuine parts, all good.
Depending on your strength and your back would be a decision for pulling the motor whole or pulling the jugs and heads off.
Then there is the crank. I suggest having that serviced at this time. Hits a lot of potential issues and get it cleaned out.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 09:02:55 AM by HD Street Performance »

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2018, 09:23:57 AM »

Ask JC what his 2010 motor was like after addressing the bottom end and you will want to do it. It's not cheap but the benefit is worth while.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »

All that is needed is new main bearings, crank disassembled, cleaned, reassembled with honed rods and bearings if needed. Pinned welded and done. Splitting roller bearing motor, which is the way to keep it no timken needed, is an easy task. I use Loctite 518 to seal them. Crank needs to go out but the rest is easily accomplished. This is a <$1000 add in rough numbers.

efrbc1

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 10:16:53 AM »

So, no issues one way or the other (top end vs. no top end) to R&R the motor from the frame.  Good to know.  Mine is an '05 so hopefully none of the "later" issues to deal with.  One other question - I learned there is no gasket between the cases.  What is the best way to seal them?

Thanks again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.