Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Sumped again!  (Read 42841 times)

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Sumped again!
« Reply #180 on: June 14, 2018, 12:12:22 PM »

I guess....like I said. EVO inner cam bearing....twink every one was going to blow up because of tensioners ...real deal was cranks twisting but nobody went crazy with that warranty never would touch it.  This m8 the first thing was the crying about liquid leaking....and a few did. Lol.
I don't fool myself sir....I do own one of all of them back too a 62 sporty. Little more experience with motors....no matter what they are in or on than just these.  Sure would like to see pictures of the inside of these blow up motors and sumpin new 😂..  If u have motor work done at a dealer I will say this.....your flat out foolish .  Chrome cup holder installers shouldn't be doing a motor that takes a good builder a few days to machine and assemble.That includes installing long blocks or any part if it.  But it's back to warranty and I get that ....not one should be bad.
It happens in every industry.
Well spent too much time on this already and guys here were helpful .  Off to Laconia on my m8 twink staying home today .
I ll let u know when mine comes unglued......
your right you  did not fool yourself you just ignore facts .

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #181 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:40 PM »

SDCVO:

I hate to even mention it but this issue has gone on long enough!!  It may be time for Harley to step up and buy all of these bikes back OR provide a new 2018 in exchange.

If not the nasty old government may get involved very soon. 

Like everyone here I am very sorry for your loss and admire your tenacity.

Best regards
we need to remember the 18's have the problem also , so its been many months issues have been known about . keep doing the same thing and same issues  happen, all too often 

other Jerry

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #182 on: June 15, 2018, 08:34:12 PM »

the same ole chit.  HD seems to want to leave thousands of people hanging out the dry  when the warranty is gone. many then will be paying for a fix that should never ever happen to a customer with all the failures and multiple failures for many  riders.  the expense and the never knowing if you dare venture a hundred miles from home  and having to cancel  reservations, fun trips with friends cause  HD has failed the public they will  more than likely get away with this failed   m8 experiment unfortunately
. Thousands?  List 40 or  50 please .....I have seen 18-25 all over the net but seem to be the same unfortunate guys.....stuck at crappy dealerships.( have to agree that's too many)  Too me not thousands and I have been snopping around dealerships since m8 came out from south fla vegas( 250 rentals) to Nebraska up too Maine . Only one I have seen cracked open was in VT.....being hot rodded.  Remember our dear EVO inner cam bearings? Only repaired one case in my life. The infamous twink cam tensioners ? Ever twink on the planet was going to blow up? I made a bunch of money pulling those apart to not find maybe 3 bad out of lots.......every one of these farm tractors have had issues over the years.  Till the next one! 😎🍻. Ride it or sell it...why worry ...life is too short for reservations........
Happyman's point is that many people could have this problem after the warranty expires.  Kinda like compensators and lifters did.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #183 on: June 15, 2018, 11:16:21 PM »

My question was for the OP (Alan) of whose post I quoted.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
I promised I wouldn't bore everyone with my continued saga so I haven't been updating but looks like " the battle" may be over. Will be taking a 19 assuming what rep agreed to verbally (after a month of pure fun..) will be same as what it says when I get paperwork. Paperwork due before June 22, bike due before Oct 30th or hopefully sooner.
Alan

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #184 on: June 15, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »

I promised I wouldn't bore everyone with my continued saga so I haven't been updating but looks like " the battle" may be over. Will be taking a 19 assuming what rep agreed to verbally (after a month of pure fun..) will be same as what it says when I get paperwork. Paperwork due before June 22, bike due before Oct 30th or hopefully sooner.

2019 what?  Did he give a hint what the next year's CVO models would be?

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #185 on: June 15, 2018, 11:45:14 PM »

I was always interested about what happened with your 1 2 3 4 (?) motors, and read all your updates.  Hope you don't mind my asking:  What happened to cause you to wait for the 2019s, and is this what you wanted?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #186 on: June 16, 2018, 12:24:58 AM »

I was always interested about what happened with your 1 2 3 4 (?) motors, and read all your updates.  Hope you don't mind my asking:  What happened to cause you to wait for the 2019s, and is this what you wanted?
Yes, they wanted to give me a 18. I had a couple of reasons to demand a 19 1) figure best shot of them re designing M8 to fix sumping would be on new year model. Any major design change would have to pass EPA compliance so though Moco is telling customers they are getting "19" motors, it is impossible for them to release before that. 2) if they have not fixed issue and new bike sumps on me I will let dealer replace the motor and then sell bike and give up on the M8. IMO it takes at least 5000 miles to see if new design is actually fixed or not (maybe more) and if id does sump and I sell it obviously a 19 will be worth quite a bit more then a 18 which is worth waiting a few months for.
Rep claims they have come up with solution and are replacing sumped motors now with new design (as I said they can only do so much so not sure I believe him) and so far have done 15 in the last few weeks and not one has come back yet. Maybe Heatwave on this forum is one of them and I hope so but I wasn't prepared to take that gamble.
Of course this is the end result of a long complete PIA battle (would have put you all in a coma if I was posting all the way through..) with Moco that started beginning of May and just ended (hopefully) last week. Cant imagine after that the paperwork next week will be anything different than what we agreed to verbally but I guess it won't be done/done until I see that and actually take delivery in October.
Thankfully my 12 Roadglide is running great so just hoping that old girl holds out for me till then. She is getting a bit "long in the tooth" with over 60,000 miles but only has about 12000 miles on S&S 124.
See now why I haven't been updating??
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 12:26:56 AM by SDCVO »
Alan

Para Bellum

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2018, 02:11:41 AM »

Alan, that makes perfect sense and is probably the best you could hope for from MOCO.  As you point out, you have the '12 SERG to see you through until your '19 arrives, so you won't miss out on the the summer riding season (of the 4 riding seasons in SD; yes, a little jealous  :)).

I can see not updating if you don't want to re-live the frustration and the hassle of the breakdowns, so I appreciate your willingness to do it.  The forum members who have read about "the Sumpers" on here probably know more about it than 90% of the dealers.  Thanks again for that.

Keeping fingers crossed that the '19 cases, etc., fix the problem permanently, and that HD makes a "goodwill" gesture to those who run into the problem after warranty.   :nixweiss:

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2018, 08:36:10 AM »

Actually they don't have to recertify the engine if the change they make has no impact on emissions.  IF the change they've decided on is just the in the cases as Heatwave was led to believe, that wouldn't require recertification.  And btw, the whole EPA certification thing is not what many people seem to believe it is.  In most cases manufacturers are allowed to self-certify; EPA does not test all the products on the market and at most just does some random testing to try to keep those manufacturers honest.  That's why VW was able to get away with their diesel scam for so long, before the EPA test contractor finally caught them.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2018, 09:51:55 AM »

Actually they don't have to recertify the engine if the change they make has no impact on emissions.  IF the change they've decided on is just the in the cases as Heatwave was led to believe, that wouldn't require recertification.  And btw, the whole EPA certification thing is not what many people seem to believe it is.  In most cases manufacturers are allowed to self-certify; EPA does not test all the products on the market and at most just does some random testing to try to keep those manufacturers honest.  That's why VW was able to get away with their diesel scam for so long, before the EPA test contractor finally caught them.

Jerry
[/quoteThree weeks ago i got another motor for y  17 CVO yes one of several and its still the 17 cases and it is a 18 top end and 18 cam which is differant than the one in the  17 also the compression has been lowerd a lot i believe.  prolly at least a point. got it home and  do not want to even venture out on it because of all the issues and hassles of down bike,  the miles  and the expense of  doing this back and forth  let alone all the frustration   is not why we spend our hard earned money.  there neeeeds to be something in writing that whn  HD does get a real  honest fix for these the m8 they make sure all bikes get the fix that are affected even after the warranty is up  it is what itt is and the customers deserve it .it is a bad deal to have to keeep going baks  for a fix that is nothing but more of the samee ole.    yeas wee get a few hundred miles on the temp. fix but darne not ventur out on a trip  cause the odds are your going to be walking home.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2018, 12:01:57 PM »

Alan no bore at all... Appreciate you sharing the update(s)... as what is so great about this site we learn about/thru other's experiences... good or bad. Thanks, and good luck. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

odessyblueIke

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NC

• CVO1: 2018 CVO limited 115th Anniv.
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2018, 05:44:35 PM »

Ok I have a question for those with the Sumping issue. Are you running over 3 k RPM?   I rode  over 260 miles today mostly over 65-70 mph. Tacking between 25-2800 RPM.  Never had an issue.  Wondering what the RPM range is that you are running and for how long
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 09:09:34 PM by odessyblueIke »

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2018, 11:58:42 PM »

Jerry
Yes and no Jerry, your right they can self certify but still have to register that certification. They absolutely can not release year specific vin numbers (motor, frame etc) before they certify their release date. I am thinking to really correct the M8 it will take a drastic "metal change" that will require re certification  but of course that is just my opinion which I shared with the HD rep and he claims they fixed problem without having to do that. You know from working in the industry how expensive that re tooling would be so of course they will try everything they can to fix problem without having to do that. I hope they did!
VW diesel certs were done by the EPA but the engineers programed the ECM to recognize the testing procedure and change its program (fool system) to emit less "bad stuff". Very high level programing that they got away with for a long time. Question now is did any other OEM do it??
Alan

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #193 on: June 17, 2018, 12:03:07 AM »

Ok I have a question for those with the Sumping issue. Are you running over 3 k RPM?   I rode  over 260 miles today mostly over 65-70 mph. Tacking between 25-2800 RPM.  Never had an issue.  Wondering what the RPM range is that you are running and for how long
First 500 miles did not go over 3000, next 250 up to 4000, next 250 (never made it) up to 4500 ish
Alan

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #194 on: June 17, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »

Happyman's point is that many people could have this problem after the warranty expires.  Kinda like compensators and lifters did.
motors are many times the cost of a motor and the labor to ch8ange it out.  people  who have all too often financed thee bikes now have a very expensive bike they cannot afford to get repaired,   what is the  HD plan to make this right for all who have these 17 and 18 m8 bikes.  and is there a fix  in the works  that  HD is going to make people whole  witjh or is it just tuff  break .   think those folks will be repeat buyers?   
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 22 queries.