Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are water cooled M8s sumping as well?  (Read 2421 times)

Swbike

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 2016 CVO ROADGLIDE
    • CVO2: 2005 CVO Electra Glide
    • CVO3: 2019 RGU CVO wannabe
Are water cooled M8s sumping as well?
« on: April 02, 2018, 08:43:53 PM »

Are the water (coolant) cooled M8s having sumping problems like the oil cooled?

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
Re: Are water cooled M8s sumping as well?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 11:51:16 PM »

yep, mine is twin cooled
Alan

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2008 Fxstsse2 Screamin Eagle Softail Springer (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2008 Flhtcuse3 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2013 Fltrxse2 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Custom (traded for 17 SESG)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 06:55:50 AM »

Mine has not had a problem yet...Fingers crossed/knock on wood. I have a stage III, PV tuner, D&D 2-1 exhaust and a DynoJet Target Tune. Runs strong. Yes, Mine is water cooled too.
2017 CVO Street Glide
2012 Heritage Softail
1957 hardtail w/shovelhead engine
1950 Panhead

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »

My 2017 with a stage 4 kit, upgraded oil pump, and a TTS tune seems to be ok.  I wonder out loud if the bikes with the sumping issues are ridden to an inch of their lives or as most of us ride only pushed hard occasionally?   I get that we put the stage 4 kit on the bikes so they perform, but in reality most HD riders may get on the bike every once in awhile but most likely stay below 4K RPM the majority of the time.  Wonder if there is any correlation to hammering on the bike frequently as compared to "normal" riding with the sumping issue?

ultrarider123

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 10:26:45 AM »

My 2017 with a stage 4 kit, upgraded oil pump, and a TTS tune seems to be ok.  I wonder out loud if the bikes with the sumping issues are ridden to an inch of their lives or as most of us ride only pushed hard occasionally?   I get that we put the stage 4 kit on the bikes so they perform, but in reality most HD riders may get on the bike every once in awhile but most likely stay below 4K RPM the majority of the time.  Wonder if there is any correlation to hammering on the bike frequently as compared to "normal" riding with the sumping issue?

I see what you are saying, spook, but it shouldn't matter how it's ridden/driven/operated.  Balls to the wall or steady operation and getting on it occasionally, the darn thing should work no matter what vehicle in question. 
From leaking like a sieve (Pan and Shovel) to bearing issues (Evo) to lifters (TC) and now oil sumping (M8), the MoCo is constantly providing a product that has nagging issues and we keep drinking from the trough.  Their history has gotten them to this point but not sure today's buyer is willing to eat the history while it's constantly in the shop... :nixweiss:

spook120

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 11:17:02 AM »

Totally agree.  But also realize that other bikes have other issues.  My 2017 BMW GSA had a recall to fix the front forks which had issues dislocating from the triple tree.  So I guess you just decide if the HD or BMW or ? is worth the hassle associated with ownership. You know what the old saying is if it has wheels or **** sooner or later it will give you grief!

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 11:25:19 AM »

Mine has not had a problem yet...Fingers crossed/knock on wood. I have a stage III, PV tuner, D&D 2-1 exhaust and a DynoJet Target Tune. Runs strong. Yes, Mine is water cooled
not too jump your post but how do you like that PV Tuner and that exaust i am think very hard on your set up but have not heard one yet please do tell to loud can you here your stereo fit looks like the sound and would you buy it again

Singlebeam

• Singlebeam
  • Full CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2008 Fxstsse2 Screamin Eagle Softail Springer (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2008 Flhtcuse3 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2013 Fltrxse2 Screamin Eagle Road Glide Custom (traded for 17 SESG)
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 11:36:11 AM »

Mine has not had a problem yet...Fingers crossed/knock on wood. I have a stage III, PV tuner, D&D 2-1 exhaust and a DynoJet Target Tune. Runs strong. Yes, Mine is water cooled
not too jump your post but how do you like that PV Tuner and that exaust i am think very hard on your set up but have not heard one yet please do tell to loud can you here your stereo fit looks like the sound and would you buy it again
It's working great for me. Loud when you get on it but not loud when cruising. I would most definitely buy it again. My third D&D 2-1 exhaust. Have run the PV on 3 different bikes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

2017 CVO Street Glide
2012 Heritage Softail
1957 hardtail w/shovelhead engine
1950 Panhead

havenolife

• Senior CVO Member
    • OH

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO ROAD KING
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 01:24:49 PM »

It's working great for me. Loud when you get on it but not loud when cruising. I would most definitely buy it again. My third D&D 2-1 exhaust. Have run the PV on 3 different bikes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk  thanks

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »

Mine is watercooled. First 2 Stage IV 117 M8 engines sumped. Second engine failure was in less than 500 very gently ridden breakin miles. If a bike is prone to sumping, it will eventually sump under the right conditions. Riding it hard only makes sumping present it self sooner. Riding a stage IV bike gently that is susceptible to sumping will only result in hiding the issue until you are either out of warranty or a long way from home. If its going to sump, better to find out early while you at least have the factory warranty in place.

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 12:25:36 AM »

you do not and I will repeat this you do not have to spool some of these motors up to get them to sump its the luck of the draw or what day it is.  if your running a 70mph cruise set at 70 for miles and you start feeling heat especially on the right leg . then you make an esit  and make the turn and try to roll on to merge into traffic safety and you got it the sombitch will not pull and your in traffic and its not a warm and fuzzy feeling at all. your bike has a toasted motor. now you can wait and wait and wait and all to often this bs will keep happening  if you ride much. you do not need to twist  um to get them to puke.   its fact anyone who says other wise is  full of it   

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2018, 01:08:40 AM »

Mine is water-cooled
Alan

happyman

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2018, 01:23:36 AM »

Mine is water-cooled
twin cooled  water cooled  seem to be the ones mosot affected by the sump issue. regardless both types of cooling have the serious issue of sumping,  no cure to date I guess, or they know its going to be to costly to do the proper fix. guess who loses? AGAIN

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.