Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sumping Question  (Read 3000 times)

USNCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited - Black Earth Fade
Sumping Question
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:35:06 AM »

Ok,
  I just bought a 2018 CVO Limited.  Is sumping an issue on my 117?  The bike has 185 miles on.  I have exhaust inbound, thanks to a great member here, and I am planning on a stage 4 in a couple of months.  Please let me know thanks in advance

R/Don
2018 CVO Limited 140whp/152wtq
Previous
2015 CVO Limited
2007 Ultra 110whp/114wtq
2009, 2005, 2004 Hayabusa

hawgzilla

• Full CVO Member
Re: Sumping Question
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 12:34:37 PM »

Yes, it may well be an issue.  Even more of a possibility with the stage 4.  Harley obviously doesn’t have a fix for it.

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 01:43:15 PM »

When was the engine built? According to the HD Dealer Rep I'm dealing with on my bike, there have been NO reports of sumping with any M8 engines that precisely followed the latest version of SB1450 (11/15/2017 - attached) when repairing or installing a stage III or Stage IV kit.

Kay9Cop

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AK

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »

When was the engine built? According to the HD Dealer Rep I'm dealing with on my bike, there have been NO reports of sumping with any M8 engines that precisely followed the latest version of SB1450 (11/15/2017 - attached) when repairing or installing a stage III or Stage IV kit.

That's very good news if it can be verified!   Did he say what the fix was?  I hope he didn't claim it was the new oil pump, because others have reported sumping with the latest version.

USNCVO

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OK

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Limited - Black Earth Fade
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 02:14:15 PM »

That's very good news if it can be verified!   Did he say what the fix was?  I hope he didn't claim it was the new oil pump, because others have reported sumping with the latest version.

The TSB says the oil pump must be replaced during STGIII or STGIV install...   Dunno who is paying for it tho.. Lol

R/Don
2018 CVO Limited 140whp/152wtq
Previous
2015 CVO Limited
2007 Ultra 110whp/114wtq
2009, 2005, 2004 Hayabusa

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 03:58:06 PM »

He said there was sumping with the new oil pump but it was due to the mechanic not following the torquing process described in the latest SB1450. If the proper installation is completed with the latest oil pump, he stated that there have been 0 reports of sumping. Of course there are probabably few bikes out there yet with these latest instructions and even fewer miles, so only time will tell.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 03:59:43 PM by Heatwave »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 04:16:52 PM »

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I think most of us have also been assured by a Harley Rep at some point in time that there have been no reports of whatever the issue is we are talking about.  Harley and most of it's rep's have a very large and well earned reputation for a lack of honesty and integrity.  So while I hope they really have the situation fixed for all your sakes, I kind of doubt it.  Case in point, how about the recent complete engine replacements from Harley (that Harley built, not the dealer) that sumped in the first thousand miles or thereabouts?

Pinning blame on the techs by claiming (without proof) that they didn't follow the instructions on aligning the pump when torquing the plate are pretty much horse excrement.  Yes, there has been a requirement to align the pump since the first Twin Cam in 1999.  I don't remember hearing about a sumping issue caused by pump alignment during the entire Twin Cam run, and we all know the techs weren't any more competent or meticulous from 1999 through 2016. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 04:24:40 PM »

Hold off on the stage 4 for now.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »

Hate to be a wet blanket, but I think most of us have also been assured by a Harley Rep at some point in time that there have been no reports of whatever the issue is we are talking about.  Harley and most of it's rep's have a very large and well earned reputation for a lack of honesty and integrity.  So while I hope they really have the situation fixed for all your sakes, I kind of doubt it.  Case in point, how about the recent complete engine replacements from Harley (that Harley built, not the dealer) that sumped in the first thousand miles or thereabouts?

Pinning blame on the techs by claiming (without proof) that they didn't follow the instructions on aligning the pump when torquing the plate are pretty much horse excrement.  Yes, there has been a requirement to align the pump since the first Twin Cam in 1999.  I don't remember hearing about a sumping issue caused by pump alignment during the entire Twin Cam run, and we all know the techs weren't any more competent or meticulous from 1999 through 2016. 

Jerry

Trust me, you’re not being a wet blanket. From a personal perspective, no one could be more skeptical than me after 3 engines and 2 stage IV upgrades. I’ve been patient since last Aug when the 3rd M8 engine was installed in my 2017 CVO limited. I have no desire to wait any longer since HD has had my money for the stage IV upgrade since Jan 2017.

So I intend to have them fulfill their obligation to properly install the upgrade to Stage IV that I paid for before this riding season gets underway. They have tried to fairly compensate me with a free 7yr ESP including wheel & tire coverage. Plus they have upgraded my SWR to include the stage IV kit for ESP coverage for the full 7 yrs.

I have the added advantage of a second bike, so while I go into the stage IV upgrade with open eyes, I also figure its their problem if they still don’t have it right.

I specifically requested that they state in writing that 1) there are no known plans to release an updated Stage IV kit, 2) there are no known M8 sumping engine failures using the latest oil pump and SB1450 install instructions. The Dealer Rep confirmed both of these requests in writing which was enough for me to pull the trigger on upgrading my 3rd engine back to Stage 4. The Dealer Rep and HD Tech Services will be onsite at my local dealership to ensure the installation will be done according to the latest instructions in the SB1450.

Will it sump again after proper installation with the latest oil pump?? Hell if I know! However I do know, HD has done their best to stand behind the bike and me as a customer. They fully understand that another failure is their problem to deal with. If they are OK installing a new stage IV M8 engine every year for the next 7 yrs, well then... I’m OK with a new engine every year too.

Hoping for the best but prepared for just about anything after dealing with 2 engine failures already.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 05:02:04 PM by Heatwave »

mark

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 09:12:02 PM »

The only problem with HD standing behind their engine and replacing it numerous times (under warranty) is the lack of reliability and the time lost while the bike is down getting the engine replaced.

I don't know if you do any touring, but would you feel confident leaving home and taking that 2,000 mile trip to a remote location?

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 09:29:17 PM »

The only problem with HD standing behind their engine and replacing it numerous times (under warranty) is the lack of reliability and the time lost while the bike is down getting the engine replaced.

I don't know if you do any touring, but would you feel confident leaving home and taking that 2,000 mile trip to a remote location?

No question, its a b*tch. In fact I do a lot of touring. I was suppose to take my ‘17 CVO Limited on a 6000m trip out to Sturgis last summer when it sumped. it sucked but I took my 2010 CVO Ultra instead.

I have multiple rides this Spring and summer. Will it suck if I break down? Yep, but what choice do I have? For one trip, I’m trailering both bikes because I have so little confidence. I guess i could stick with the stock engine and eat the stage IV cost but that’s not my style. I’ll relentlessly hold HD accountable till they get the bike right.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 09:31:38 PM by Heatwave »

Page created in 0.249 seconds with 21 queries.