Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: How many miles do you drive/ride to work???  (Read 8393 times)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
How many miles do you drive/ride to work???
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:50:46 PM »

I'm curious how many folks here have a fairly substantial commute to work each day and what your thoughts are about it.  I might have a job opportunity coming up that is on the fringe of what I'd consider commuting from our current location.  Right now, I'm only about 12 miles away from where I work (have been about as far away as 22 miles), but this new possibility is about 75 miles away, one way.  It is all interstate and can be driven in about an hour and 10 mins., no problem, so it is a fairly easy drive, but it will be a lot different than the 20 mins. I have right now.

The company will pay for a move, but this will be a somewhat temporary deal (2 - 3 years) and then we'll likely be back in this area again, so I'm thinkin' it may not be worth the hassle to uproot only to return again later. :nixweiss:

Lemme know what you think and thanks for the input! :2vrolijk_09:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: How many miles do you drive/ride to work???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 09:53:26 PM »

Brian, the commute notwithstanding, moving sucks so LARGE that unless all other factors are completely unmanageable I'd never suffer doing it (moving) for just two years when there is an alternative.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 09:54:01 PM »

i'm in the low 20s these day. i've always tried to keep it within 1hr during normal traffic conditions
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 09:58:49 PM »

I was driving about 40 miles (1 hour in commute traffic)  each way until 3 years ago, I switched offices and now am about 15 miles each way. When I look back I don't now how I put up with the traffic for so long. You get immune to it after a while but I can't ever see having a long commute again.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 10:10:43 PM »

Brian...if the opportunity is good enough, it might be worth it if there is an end in sight.  I drove that far for a summer, and though I did get used to it, it got old pretty fast.  Is there any way they would pay for a cheap apartment so you could stay every other night during the week or something?  Just a thought.  Do you have a vehicle that gets good milage and is more or less expendable, because whatever you drive for that time period is going to be pretty much worn out by the end?  If the long term goals are met, it will all be worth it.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

BlueFlames

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 flhrse3 blue
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 10:40:40 PM »

To me quality of life is worth a lot of $.  I am less than a mile.  We have some of the worst traffic in the country here and I have decided not to participate....JMHO

Good luck with your decision.
"Chrome is like clevage.......too much is not enough"

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 11:12:47 PM »

41 miles from Bluefield to Beckley, WV.  All on I-77.  That's to the Dealership.  If I'm called to travel into the Coal Fields, that would add at least another 100 miles.  I don't mind it, myself.  I download when I'm driving.  :2vrolijk_21: Later--HUBBARD 
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 01:03:09 AM »

Brian
i need to change my vote but i commute about 65 miles either way ...have done this since november..
same thing, i dont want to move...

we work a 4/10 schedule so 4 days of driving plus 1 weekend a month
takes me about 50 minutes in the am ( leave around 0600)
anywhere from 1:10 to 2 30 on the way home..a few minutes either way and the traffic turns to hell..

it aint the worst drive in the world but it wears on you...
i am sposed to do this for a few years.... i have up to two years to take the move to be closer if i want....
but i can also retire any time after september...
in the meantime, i do the drive....  i always keep a spare set of clothes and a shaving kit with the weather potential..
and so far, its been in the truck every day...  but riding weather is coming!!!!!

GOOD LUCK WITH THE CHOICE MY FRIEND

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2007, 01:24:33 AM »

I'm curious how many folks here have a fairly substantial commute to work each day and what your thoughts are about it.  I might have a job opportunity coming up that is on the fringe of what I'd consider commuting from our current location.  Right now, I'm only about 12 miles away from where I work (have been about as far away as 22 miles), but this new possibility is about 75 miles away, one way.  It is all interstate and can be driven in about an hour and 10 mins., no problem, so it is a fairly easy drive, but it will be a lot different than the 20 mins. I have right now.

The company will pay for a move, but this will be a somewhat temporary deal (2 - 3 years) and then we'll likely be back in this area again, so I'm thinkin' it may not be worth the hassle to uproot only to return again later. :nixweiss:

Brian,
  My Dear Ol' departed Daddy always told me, "Son, when you go Bear huntin', go where the Bears are."  :2vrolijk_21: There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2007, 06:27:44 AM »

Tough decision for sure. What w/ gasoline prices and all. 33 miles, 45 mins. one way. That's about the limit of acceptable for me. Time spent commuting is time lost from life's clock. I don't read the paper, work w/ the laptop or all of the other things people do on their daily commute and it's just time not doing what I want to do. Summer is more bearable because I can often commute on two wheels instead of four. I travel to work through the county so it's not the hassel of the traffic, just the time. I agree w/ Twolane, moving sux out loud. I'd rather take a beating. Looking forward to only two more moves in our lives, 1) down south when we retire in a couple of years and 2) my final resting place (hopefully in a long, long time) and that's it. Good luck in your decision.

jeffj

• 1K CVO Member
  • "Teach a man to swim, but not while he's drowning"

• CVO1: 2004 Orange Pearl and Jet Black FLHTCSE & 2002 Candy/Brandywine FLHRSEI
    • CVO2: 2006 Autumn Haze FLHTCUSE Sold - 11-11-12 Bought another 2006 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2003 Gold FLHRSEI2 Sold CVO4: 2002 Purple FLHRSEI Crashed
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2007, 06:40:36 AM »

My office is in my home but I travel usually from Monday to Thursday and average sometimes a 1,000 miles a week, I do some of my best thinking/planning while I am driving between stops.

Think SPRING!

jeffj

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 06:56:32 AM »

Brian

I drive all the time.
Just like Hubbard , driving helps me download.
If I hit every subdivision every day except Charleston then it's about a 400 mile day.
I try to make it to half of the subdivisions each day.
200 miles a day X 5 days plus some Saturdays ='s close to 60K miles a year.
60K miles a year in the Stroke divided by average (per GPS) of 47 miles per hour ='s 1276 hours per year in the truck.
1276 divided by 52 weeks ='s 24.54 hours per week or approx 4.5 hours per day driving.

So my question for you is, what's a few more minutes on the road?
Like Hubbard said, you got to where the Bears are.
My Bears take very good care of me!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2007, 09:04:06 AM »

Personally I would rather spend the time on the bike than in the cage.  One benefit of the longer drive is the engine will heat up completly and help get rid of the moisture in the motor,  It's a big problem I have with my short comute.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

ronshood2000

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2007, 09:16:48 AM »

I've been commuting about 55 miles each way on old country roads and it takes me 60-70 min for about 2 years. Somedays, like anything else, it sucks, other days it great. I don't find it to be a problem. I'd rather drive 55 mile for 60 minutes than 15 miles for 60 minutes. As long as your moving the commute is good, but traffic sucks.
Ron

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »

Not sure that I am the senior commuter here Brian but as Hub says it does download my day.

I have commuted 60 miles each way for 21 years.  Part of this is that the wife has a 38 mile commute the opposite direction and the $$$ she can earn south of us is far greater than what would be available to her if we moved.

We also love the lake we live on and most likely would not buy on the lake near the dealership for a number of reasons. 

Not knowing (remembering) what you do for a living I can only say that with me much of my job is on the phone and I can do that with my mobile, bluetooth on the bike which is even better.  For many years my choice of vehicles for the commute was driven by knowing if I had a call or two to make.  Now it doesn't matter since I can do it on the SEUC with the bluetooth.

I like to drive/ride so the hour spent doesn't bother me, I am in the reverse commute away from the city so except for the summertime when folks are vacationing north I really never have any traffic to speak of and even in the summertime it isn't what most folks would call traffic.

I'd say go for it and don't let the commute worry you.  If you decide after 6 months or a year to move you always could.  A couple of bottles of water, good CD's, thermos of coffee/bottle of soda if it strikes you and you're good to go.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 21 queries.