Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Break-in Guidance  (Read 3104 times)

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
  • Man it is good to be a SE Ultra owner
Break-in Guidance
« on: October 30, 2004, 01:14:46 PM »

I am looking for some guidance on breaking-in my future FLSTFSE. The main question I have is whether I should leave the stock exhaust on the bike during the break-in period or just go ahead and install the V&H BIG SHOTS Staggered and PowerCommander? Any other break-in guidance would also be appreciated.

Regards,
John  
--  No-Rain (aka rainman)  --
06 SE Ultra List of UCEG SE mods
05 SE Fatboy

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Break-in Guidance
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 08:30:37 AM »

I am looking for some guidance on breaking-in my future FLSTFSE. The main question I have is whether I should leave the stock exhaust on the bike during the break-in period or just go ahead and install the V&H BIG SHOTS Staggered and PowerCommander? Any other break-in guidance would also be appreciated.

Regards,           welcome John; i prefer to have my break in mile plus 500 done,before any mods most important thing is to keep rpm,s up in each gear don,t lug motor--AK
John
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 09:35:34 AM »

John, if you're having the bike dynoed to tune the PC in, then I advise against doing that until you get some miles on the bike.  If you're going with an already available map, then I don't think it matters much if you do it before delivery.  The break-in period has a lot more to do with what you're doing with the rpm of the engine during this time and not much at all to do with the pipes, air cleaner, and program you're running (as long as it is tuned properly).  Vary the rpm, don't lug the motor like ak said (keep above 2,000 rpm) and after the first 100 miles or so get a few good full-throttle 3rd gear roll-ons in up to the redline letting the engine slow you back down afterward.  This will help to set the rings.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2004, 11:26:57 AM »

The most important thing in breaking in the bike is to get the rings to seat in the bore and this can only be done in the first 20-30 miles.  Theres a thread on here some where quoting the motor mans method, but basiclly you want to do hard accell and decel to get both nsides of the rings to seal in the bore.  And do not run syntetic in the bike for the first 3000 miles!!   [smiley=1syellow1.gif]
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2004, 12:47:01 PM »

Magoo, don't forget, these bikes come with Syn3 from the factory.  I think a lot of the previous guidance on not using synthetic oil has become a bit of an old wive's tale as technology has played a part in both motor oil chemistry and materials and clearances utilized in today's engines.

Here's a link to some previous discussion on break-in that may also be of help: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=eg_gen;action=display;num=1084004204

no-rain

• Senior CVO Member
  • Man it is good to be a SE Ultra owner
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 01:19:37 PM »

All of this information has helped a lot
--  No-Rain (aka rainman)  --
06 SE Ultra List of UCEG SE mods
05 SE Fatboy

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 06:42:57 PM »

Welcome to the board John.  I've broke my last three bikes in totally stock and the way the owners manuel says to (if anything happened early on, I don't want them putting it back on me cause I didn't brake it in right).  Once the break in is done, I ride the hell out of em! [smiley=laugh.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 08:36:11 AM »

Red line still recommend regular oil for the first 3000 miles,  synthetic is just to slick to get rings to seat properly.  And remmeber HD didn't say it was ok till they had syntetic out.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

MObe

• Elite CVO Member
  • Damn, Those Jalapeno's are HOT!
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 02:17:21 PM »

It seems to be a common myth, (at least going by the number of times that i've seen it on various websites), that full synthetic oil is more slick (slicker?), than petroleum based oil, but it just ain't so. for more info see;  

http://www.wholesalesynthetics.com/oil_for_your_harley_davdson.htm

and

http://www.syntheticoildealer.com/jmathe/motorcycle_oils.htm
[smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]
MObe

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 07:22:19 AM »

exactly right  MOBE.... porche's and covettes have long been filled with Mobile One from the factory...I guess they have "special" rings. Hey..your bike looks just like mine!!!!
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 08:37:39 AM »

You guys do what you want but I'm going to listen to the guys that make the oil I use and if they say NOT to use synthetic to break in a motor I will listen.  Remember HD thought syntetic was bad till they made it.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 09:36:24 AM »

Anybody had any experience yet with the Mobil 1 V twin oil?  After 20+ years of running Mobil 1 in Corvettes, I'm a believer, just don't know how the adaptation to V Twins may be working out.  I have noticed that Mobil 1 dramatically lowers the oil temp in the 'Vettes and takes up a lot of slack for the poor air flow to the radiator.  Please advise if anyone has tried it yet.  thanks

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 01:08:14 PM »

As owner of an 05 I have the syn 3 oil. having read all of the posts it seems as thought he concessus is not to use it. I only have about 200 miles on her, would it be better to drain the syn 3 oil and use something else? Why would the MOCO put it in in the beggining if the rings would not break in properly?[smiley=confused5.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 02:07:44 PM »

As owner of an 05 I have the syn 3 oil. having read all of the posts it seems as thought he concessus is not to use it. I only have about 200 miles on her, would it be better to drain the syn 3 oil and use something else? Why would the MOCO put it in in the beggining if the rings would not break in properly?[smiley=confused5.gif]

Welcome to the site. [smiley=beerchug.gif]  There are a bunch of us on here from Sac/Bay Area that hook up from time to time.

I broke my bike in with the Syn 3 and it now has over 6,000 miles on it and there isn't any smoke at start up or any other time.  I think it's fine but if not......that's why I have the seven year warranty. [smiley=laugh.gif]
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2004, 03:17:05 PM »

Since we're takin' Oil again it seemed to be a good time to mention that the majority of the concern with the Syn3 is with it's use in the Trans not the Engine.  Here are a couple of threads that discuss the issu in great detail.

Since were talkin about oil again I felt it nessacary to mention that the majority of the concern with the Syn3 is with its use in the Trans not the Engine sump.  Here a re a couple of threads that discuss this issue in great detail.

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cvo_gen;action=display;num=1090596538

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cvo_gen;action=display;num=1090596538;start=15

Cheers to all [smiley=beerchug.gif]
'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2004, 03:31:07 PM »

Since we're takin' Oil again it seemed to be a good time to mention that the majority of the concern with the Syn3 is with it's use in the Trans not the Engine.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2004, 06:47:32 PM »

HD-Dude, you have a PM (Go to the top of the page, where it says "HD-Dude you have x messages" and click on that.

West Coast GTG   
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 21 queries.