Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Road Stuff  (Read 2551 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Road Stuff
« on: November 01, 2004, 02:38:14 AM »

Just read a private message from a relatively new rider with just about brand new bike asking how to outfit the bike.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 02:43:25 AM by twolanerider »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: Road Stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 06:54:53 AM »

Great list 2lane.  It's obvious that many of the items are the ones that have plagued us all at one time or another over the years, but have failed to buy an extra for the next unexpected failer.  In addition to your items, I would add the critical need for a cell phone.  'Guess I can blame old age, but never take a trip without one.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 08:32:36 AM »

Have found that being prepared is essential,  and around here a cell phone dosen't always get reception (very hilly or off main Hwy) so being self sufficant to a degree is prudent.  Carry about the same gear and a well stocked first aid kit.  Have seen accidents where help is several hours away.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 10:54:50 AM »

Cell phone?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2004, 10:55:42 AM by twolanerider »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 11:01:39 AM »

On the Deuce I travel with three things packed:

Clear Glasses
an Allen Wrench to remove the solo seat
a Cell Phone for everything else

Much more on the SEEG...but less than twolane...

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 11:40:19 AM »

Twolane you had me scared there for a minute........thought I was riding a shovel head again! [smiley=nervous.gif]  Just tesin ya.

My last two bikes have been bought new and so I guess I've let my guard down.  I have a little Craftsman tool kit with various sockets, allens, open/box end and then the original tool kit that comes with the bike.   I also carry a first aid kit, minimag flashlight, clean bike towel or rag, etc.

Other than that, the most important thing that I carry is my piece of mind.......HOG road service!  You have to be a member of National HOG (if not your local chapter) then apply for Road Service beyond that.  I think it was $75 a year but it's sure a piece of mind when out there on the open road.  It works much the same as AAA Road Service does for cars and trucks.......pays for dead battery jump, out of gas, tow service, etc. and provides so much for trip interuption (if you have to spend the night unexpectedly, due to a break down).
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 01:30:37 PM »

JC,
I don't carry quite as much stuff as I did back on a Pan or a Shovel.  No more points for but one example.  And I do keep the road service active all the time and have used it more than once.  The rest of the stuff is reallly just for the quickie "what if" kind of thing that's not worth waiting for a hauler for that can be easily addressed on the side of the road.  Have had mufflers on the touring bikes come loose or that little channel iron hanger wear through the grommet, for example.  It's simple to swap on another and either re-support the muffler or get rid of the rattle.  And the nuts for the head pipes I probably haven't used in years.  But they used to have to be snugged up so often that I guess I just never got out of the habit of carrying spares.

If something is just really fouled up on the side of the road someplace I'm calling a hauler just like you do.  But sometimes I can find myself out in the middle of who knows where just playing.  Not only can it be tough to give directions to find you but it might take someone half a day (or more) to decide to finally get there.  It's for those times I like to go ahead and be able to fight a flat tire or do some basic stuff if I have to.

Loose_Goose

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 07:03:34 PM »

I carry my cell phone, tool kit, and my HOG card.  Also take cds and some towels.  Maybe a couple bottles of water.  That's about it.  And my wallet.
12" HD 440s, Freedom pipes, Powercommander, detachable king tourpack, Fastaire 8" windshield, custom made Corbin heated seat and Hogtunes!

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 08:45:15 AM »

Yep have VISA card will travel.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 08:46:42 AM »

One of the other things I carry for a flat is one of the "Fix 'O Flat" cans and a plug kit for tires.  I would say that personaly I've used more of my tools and repair items to assist other bikers than for myself.  KNOCK ON WOOD!  Also carry one of those tool kits for HD made up by Cruz' Tools.  Air pressure gauge and cause I still have the OEM Shocks a little hand air pump!

My 2 pennies worth

'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 09:12:07 AM »

I have heard stories that the Fix-O-flat cans should not be used on our wheels/tires.

anyone else?

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 11:54:55 AM »

I wouldn't worry about the mess with the FIx-O-Flat. In a lot of locations it's either get it inflated or call the tow truck. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 12:45:01 PM »

I have heard stories that the Fix-O-flat cans should not be used on our wheels/tires.

anyone else?

/Bill

I did have a friend die on his motorcycle because of that stuff.  He was riding with a group of other friends so we got the full story.

Chet's bike got a flat...... and it turned into one of those road side issues about wether he should use the stuff or not.  He used it and got back on the road.  Just a couple miles down the road his tire blew and he lost control, went down and did a face plant.  Was it due to the fix a flat?  I don't want to find out.....but there are other alternatives other than waiting for a truck.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Glave

• Full CVO Member
  • There is no substition for Cubic Inches!
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2004, 03:25:47 PM »

I did have a friend die on his motorcycle because of that stuff.
'02 FLHRSEI,  Thunder Header,K&N Highflow  Air, Power Commander III

rekoch

• Sandman
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 08:48:04 AM »

Just a note on the fixaflat issue, my rear tire went flat on I-29 this Aug on the way to Sturgis, a nail puncture right in the middle of the tread, I plugged, put in some fixaflat, and went on my merry way. I checked the tire the next morning, and it hadn't lost any air, so I went on to Sturgis. On my second day in Sturgis, the rear tire exploded, with the sidewalls shredding. I was only going about 30, and was able to get pulled over safely. It cost me a $100 tow, and a new rear tire, but the worst part was the loss of most of a day of vacation. I will never go farther than the next dealer on a plug or with fixaflat again.

R Koch
99 FLHR
01 FLSTFI
03 VRSCA
05 FLHTSE, due in April!!!

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 09:39:48 AM »

i always carry my cell phone,wind zone tool kit,tire plug & co2,fix a flay in a can,tire gauge,bungie cords,aspirin & water. the wind zone tool kit has just about everything you can imagin in a compact kit-tools,tape,light,siphon hose,zip ties,allen,rag,you name it. ck it out on net it really is the tool kit to have with you

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 12:32:01 PM »

i always carry my cell phone,wind zone tool kit,tire plug & co2,fix a flay in a can,tire gauge,bungie cords,aspirin & water. the wind zone tool kit has just about everything you can imagin in a compact kit-tools,tape,light,siphon hose,zip ties,allen,rag,you name it. ck it out on net it really is the tool kit to have with you

Van, you have to provide the link to their web site.

West Coast GTG   

mfgreen

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 12:46:19 PM »

http://www.beza.biz/catalog

E-mail Address

info@beza.biz
Telephone

9am to 5pm
US Central Standard Time
Monday through Friday
except Holidays

800-381-8030
512-477-1101
Business Office

beza
1615 West 6th St.
Suite A
Austin, TX 78703
US

the O`Fender

• Elite CVO Member
  • On the Dragon
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 03:09:10 PM »

Yeah I have been using one of their toolkits for a few years now (one of the best xmas gifts [smiley=xmas.gif] my wife ever gave me)
I also believe they are relatively inexpensive, they are not the greatest quaility tools but it does have all the essentials (part #EK-1HD).
Highly recommended if you are looking for a compact package that takes up very little room in your bags!!!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 03:10:07 PM by the_ofender »
2020 Scorched Orange Limited
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 21 queries.