Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 103 build  (Read 1868 times)

Spook_103

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
103 build
« on: November 11, 2004, 12:03:22 PM »

Well, it is winter in the northland.  ARGH!  Anyway, my red 05 is sitting at the dealer for the winter (free heated storage), and that got me to thinking....(always dangerous).  I am thinking of building my 103 to be a little more energetic.  In talking with the HD dealer, they will honor the warrenty on my bike IF I do a total SE build.  What they suggested is the HTCC ported heads, matching 10.5 pistons, SE251 or SE258 cams.  I realize I could do better for cost and performance with some aftermarket packages, but then the warrenty would be out the window (my bike has only 700+ miles on it), so IF I do this it would have to be on their terms.  Any comments?  Experience with the above combinations?  Thanks in advance.  Oh by the way, it's only money and they make more of that every day.  Spook.

mfgreen

Re: 103 build
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 12:19:04 PM »

Well, it is winter in the northland.  ARGH!  Anyway, my red 05 is sitting at the dealer for the winter (free heated storage), and that got me to thinking....(always dangerous).  I am thinking of building my 103 to be a little more energetic.  In talking with the HD dealer, they will honor the warrenty on my bike IF I do a total SE build.  What they suggested is the HTCC ported heads, matching 10.5 pistons, SE251 or SE258 cams.  I realize I could do better for cost and performance with some aftermarket packages, but then the warrenty would be out the window (my bike has only 700+ miles on it), so IF I do this it would have to be on their terms.  Any comments?  Experience with the above combinations?  Thanks in advance.  Oh by the way, it's only money and they make more of that every day.  Spook.

Spook,
The SE build will provide you with plenty of oomph.  I think that the precautions that I would take with this are as follows.  Check the certifications of the mechanic actually doing the build.   Then check out the parts......my experience with the HTCC heads has shown that porosity has been an ongoing problem with these heads.  Determine if the mechanic/machinist is going to balance your new pistons. Determine valve size that you will be using in your new heads.  consider gear drive for the cams.  Have the motor "clayed" to ensure proper clearances.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 12:49:25 PM »

Spook did you see this (posted by bf2002flht)?  

Hello everyone. I just stumbled across this web site. I dont have a factory SE, but I do have a carbed FLHT that I built up to a 103 using all SE factory parts (except exhaust V&H 2-1). I've had a couple of dyno runs, first one was 107hp and110.5ft/lb and most recently 104.7hp and 112.9ft/lb the later run feels real good on the street. Thereis a racing baffle made for the V&H or you can cut the stock one down. Let me know if anyone out here has any other questions. Hope to chat with everyone later

If you decide to go ahead with this build please post updates here at least every six months or anytime that something is not right.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 12:52:18 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 01:31:41 PM »

Here's my two cents based on my bike which has a lot of Screamin Eagle parts.

Forget the HTCC setup...the heads don't flow as well as the CNC Ported heads.

Also, IMO you are better off with Forged Flat Top Pistons and a Cometic .030 multilayer gasket.
This will give you approx. 10:1 compression vs. 10:5 and will ease your starting and make the bike less prone to pinging (detonation).

The cams are the big issue I see. The only choice again IMO for the bagger is the 251's. The other Harley cams are made for higher rpm power. The best options for you are S&S 585's or even better Wood TW6HG both with gear drive.

You also need to consider the Throttle Body...Rumor has it that Harley is about to release a larger bore Throttle Body.

Finally, make sure that the shop checks your cylinders for taper. Harley factory hones get dull and the cylinders from the factory are often seriously out-of-round. The mechanic should have the cylinders honed and make sure that the rpiston ring end gap is set properly. If not you will lose compression.

I have the Wood cams in my bike with the setup described. On the Freedom Cycle dyno in Reno, which is the same one Magoo's bike was tuned on, it made 118 HP and 123 TQ.

[smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Spook_103

• Junior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 02:33:14 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  The HTCC heads would also be CNC ported.  Is that Woods cam basically a bolt in except for the springs?  What is the duration of the Woods 6hg?  Thanks. Spook.

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 06:34:39 PM »

HTCC heads are different configuration than the CNC Ported and cannot be used with flat top pistons.

Here's the site for Wood Perfromance:

http://www.woodcarbs.com/geardriv.htm

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 01:15:07 AM »

Spook,

I am in the process of having an 04 SE 103" built. The heads (Vortec Style) are being done by SBC in Phoenix, engine is also their, installing worked over heads, Andrews TW 550G Gear Drive Cams, Feuling Oil Pump, Cometic Gaskets. Have yet to decide on exhaust, have V&H Pro Pipe, also, V&H True Duals c/w V&H Slip On Ovals, SE Mufferls and White Brothers E Series Slip ons, all bought cheap off E Bay.

Thats all we are going to do. Thinking conserveatvely 104 - 108 HP and TQ 113 lb. ft. And a more reliable engine. When finished wii be installed in my 03 Road Glide.

SBC flowed by SE Heads on my 03 95", with SE 251, (.570 lift), cast flat top Pistons, V&H Pro Pipe dynod at 98 HP and TQ of 104 lb ft.

In my 02 EG, Same build as above except with Bob Woods TW 6H, (.590 lift), Wiseco 10:5.1 Pistons. HP was 98.6 and TQ was 114 lb. ft., however, engine was terrible, had to stay up in the higher RPM range (3,800 - 4,200) or would ping like hell in hotter climates. That is why I decided to try the HD SE 251 Cam.

I would check with various Cam Suppliers and Head Porters etc. before I decided on the HD, HTCC or CNC Heads.

Just my .02 cents worth.

geezerglide

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 08:09:36 AM »

Keep us posted am curious as to how this thing will dyno.  Some people have said to stay away from the HTCC heads as they create hot spots.  
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

PCC

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2004, 01:39:52 PM »

Geezerglide:

The Wood cams will not tolrate a lot of ignition advance. I rolled mine way back and now I have no pinging.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 03:55:20 PM »

And how did this "roll back" effect performance?  Were you giving up performance in one area to get it in another?  Was it an overall gain?  Overall loss?  Or what?

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.