Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Muffler heat wrap  (Read 2455 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Muffler heat wrap
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:09:04 AM »

Has anyone tried to use the muffler heat wrap on the stock pipes. THinking about trying it on the crossover pipe to see if it cuts down on the heat...Even after race tuner & dyno there is still alot of heat coming from crossover pipe....
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Muffler heat wrap
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 10:46:55 AM »

Never tried heat wrap, might be hard to get the heat shields back on. Not sure how much you want to spend, but might try a heat coating, like jet-Hot, or a ceramic coating. They won't look like chrome, but with the heat shields back on, you won't see the pipes in to many places. I guess it just depends on how badly you want to stay with the stock pipes. Also for a little performance gain, you can take the pipe off and clean up the inside of the Y pipe connection with a long extension and a burr tool.

http://www.performancecoatings.com/headercoatings.html

http://www.koolcoatceramiccoatings.com/headercoatings.html

http://www.engineceramics.com/index.html

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2007, 11:48:05 AM »

Thanx for the links Talon.. There prices aren't too bad. Just curious if it works or not....
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 12:18:35 PM »

There's good and bad from the heat wrap.  First I assume you're running the heat deflectors from either Harley or Kuryakyn (I like the Kuryakyn better).  The heat wrap helped a little beyond the heat deflectors and there was no problem with reinstalling the heat shields.  The bad news is that it made the engine run even hotter.  Mine runs at 390/395 degrees anyway (with an infrared gun), and with the wrap it was pushing 400.  That's probably not much, but even 390 is high to me.  Since the wrap only helped a little, I removed it in favor of the engine's health (if that's possible), and just run the deflectors.  I also assume that you remove your lowers for the summer, that helps quite a bit.

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:29:07 PM »

Has anyone tried to use the muffler heat wrap on the stock pipes. THinking about trying it on the crossover pipe to see if it cuts down on the heat...Even after race tuner & dyno there is still alot of heat coming from crossover pipe....

I've used heat wrap on a tc 103 tc 88 and a tc 96.  It significantly improves rider and passenger comfort.  It comes in several colors but I found black to be least conspicuous. You can use a combination of some new stainless steel hose clamps and the existing clamps on the heat shields to secure the wrap.  The literature suggests you also get an incidental benefit of increased engine performance.    Project takes 60-90 minutes.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 12:32:47 PM »

My friend has it on his drag boat headers, it works. I'm thinking of doing this if I stick with the stock head pipes, which I probably will. I'll do the Y pipe mod first because the coating goes on the inside and out.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 01:25:42 PM »

talon makes a good point with the coatings. i use heat wrap, knowing i will crack a pipe, but its a trade off to gain a little more power.

after tuning, your best way to eliminate heat is a cam swap.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 01:50:35 PM »

what's a good cam to go with????
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 01:51:27 PM »

also I have the 08 SEUC.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 01:58:02 PM »

talon makes a good point with the coatings. i use heat wrap, knowing i will crack a pipe, but its a trade off to gain a little more power.

after tuning, your best way to eliminate heat is a cam swap.

"Knowing I will crack a pipe".  That's interesting, when I removed my heat wrap, my "Y" pipe was also cracked. 

Talon

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2007, 02:09:41 PM »

Several things about coating they keep the heat out of the piped, no bluing, no rust, and pipes are cool to the touch after about 5 minutes. Down side it doesn't look like chrome, but if your running full shields you can't really see it.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 09:30:48 PM »

what's a good cam to go with????

not familiar with the new 110. whats your ccp? what cams are in the 08?  on the 96 inch motors, the 255 cams are stock. tw37 works well if you lose a little timing on the rear jug.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 12:18:50 AM »

I ran wrap on a set of true duals for one year. When I removed the wrap, large flakes came off the pipes, any they looked really deteriorated.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.