Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: S&S SPO's  (Read 1809 times)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
S&S SPO's
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:23:27 PM »

I know this topic has been discussed on other posts on this site but I would like some feedback from those that have now run the SPO's for a while.  As I've said before I have a '06 SEUC with V&H TD's and Ovals, a Ness Big Sucker and PowerCommander.  The Ovals are just a little too loud.  Been thinking about the SPO's or the Bassani slash cuts.

How do guys like the SPO's, aside from the looks?

Anyone have a PC map using the SPO's and TD's?  I've even thought about going to a SERT if necessary.

Thanks

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: S&S SPO's
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 02:33:23 AM »

Send a PM to Howie (Hoist) to make sure he sees your question.  He tuned with them and several other alternatives as part of his current vision quest.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:42:23 AM »

I really loved those mufflers. Hated to lose them, but needed better flow characteristics than was achievable with the V&H/SPO setup. Can't say enough how great they sound, and at the same time, how quiet they can be. But I happen to like the way those big ole ugly things look too! Sorry I don't have a map for you. The first tune I got with them sucked. I wouldn't give you that one. The next tune was with the FatCats. Coolbreeze bought my SPO's. Maybe he's got a map now. Even so, you should get the bike tuned. All engines are different. Make your changes and retune the bike. You won't regret it! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:31:46 AM »

My only complaint was that I dragged the left one in corners, and with the True Dual headpipes I found them to be as loud as my FullSacs.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 11:05:14 AM »

I went to the SPO's with V&H TD's for the V&H td's with the SE Pro's and the Hooker Adjustables...    I LOVE the SPO's!  No pop and crackle, nice smooth thrum, much lower sound level, much happier neighbors, etc...   My stereo is much louder now too!   No porblem with dragging them so far...     I don't if I gained or loast HP/TQ with them as I installed at the same time as I cammed and then tuned.   The numbers aren't great, but they never are with my tuner.  Seat of the pants is fine.   I can't say enough good things about them.   They are a straight through pipe, so I don't see much back pressure coming from them, unless there is a part of muffler dynamics that I don't understand well, (very possible, as I also don't understand how they can be straight through, and still be so quiet!)     ;D ;D ;) ;)
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 10:41:58 AM »

Coolbreeze,

So you are using the SPO's with V&H TD's?  Right?  I know I've read on this sight that the SPO's are better with the stock head pipes but I really don't want to lose the TD's.  Besides, in all the pipe changing I've done I have re-installed the stocker's and I don't want to do it again.  I'm not into the numbers game TQ/HP etc.  I just want a good running bike that will get me from point A to point B and not be too loud in the process.  The Ovals I'm currently running are just a little too loud for my liking.  Are also using a PowerCommander?

Thanks, I appreciate any insight or suggestions.

Zeb

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 11:23:20 AM »

Coolbreeze,

So you are using the SPO's with V&H TD's?  Right?  I know I've read on this sight that the SPO's are better with the stock head pipes but I really don't want to lose the TD's.  Besides, in all the pipe changing I've done I have re-installed the stocker's and I don't want to do it again.  I'm not into the numbers game TQ/HP etc.  I just want a good running bike that will get me from point A to point B and not be too loud in the process.  The Ovals I'm currently running are just a little too loud for my liking.  Are also using a PowerCommander?

Thanks, I appreciate any insight or suggestions.

Zeb

Yup, V&H TD's and the SPO's.  I am using a PCIII USB ecm.  I have one flat spot, (very minor) around 26 or 27, but it's not really noticable at all.  I really relly like the way they sound, and haven't had any dragging issues at all.   The numbers aren't gret, but like you, I just wanna ride it happily, and I'm not cahsing the big numbers.  My mileage went up a ways too.  I don't know what that's about, but I also changed to ta gear cam at the same time so that may be it... (basically the same grind as stock, it's an Andrews 55) 
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 02:57:11 PM »

Coolbreeze,

You wouldn't mind sharing your map would you?  Not sure if it would make much difference since I have the stock cams.  My ECM is also stock.

You obviously don't feel you have lost much in TQ with the TD's versus the stock pipes?

So if I go with the SPO's, where's the best place to get them?

Thanks,

Zeb

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 03:15:31 PM »

I wouldnt mind sharing the map at all, however,...   it is a different cam, and I have a "stage II" ECM.  That might hang things up a bit.

I don't know about loss in TQ, because of how and when I did the mods, but I'm not feeling like I missed out on any...

As far as my experience, Howie is the best place to go for the SPO's.  He tries 'em out, runs 'em around for a while, takes all the up-front depreciation off of the price, and then sends them out on the DHL truck!!!  Not to mention, he's a helluva guy to talk with!     :D :D

sorry Howie, I just gotta share that you da man!  I still feel shame about your loss, but I love these pipes man!!!   :huepfenjump3:

2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 03:28:16 PM »

I wouldnt mind sharing the map at all, however,...   it is a different cam, and I have a "stage II" ECM.  That might hang things up a bit.

I don't know about loss in TQ, because of how and when I did the mods, but I'm not feeling like I missed out on any...

As far as my experience, Howie is the best place to go for the SPO's.  He tries 'em out, runs 'em around for a while, takes all the up-front depreciation off of the price, and then sends them out on the DHL truck!!!  Not to mention, he's a helluva guy to talk with!     :D :D

sorry Howie, I just gotta share that you da man!  I still feel shame about your loss, but I love these pipes man!!!   :huepfenjump3:

I'm really glad you like them Shannon. I really liked them too. They're great on a stock or mild build. Too bad they couldn't keep up with my mods. Believe it or not, I might be switching again this winter. Joe wants to play around with a few things on the bike this winter. I hope the D&D's I have now test best. I'd kinda like to think I'm done buying chit for this bike for awhile! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

TCinVA

• Elite CVO Member
  • FINALLY!

• CVO1: 2007 B&O FLHTCUSE2
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 08:22:35 PM »

I'll throw in my two cents here.  I've got the SPOs as well.  Like the sound, look is different.  Running V&H TDs as well with a SERT.  Tuned at Richmond HD.  Not big into numbers, but it's smooth, responsive where I want it to be, but I'm seriously considering sending my stock SEs to Full Sac and going back to them - more for the look than anything else.  And yes I did "nick" the right pipe coming out of a parking lot - big lean angle and pretty severe dip between road and parking lot, two up.  Probably could have prevented with a bit more angle of approach.
They're a winner from the sound perspect, imho.  I just can't get used to the look.
TC

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 12:22:30 PM »

They are big mufflers, that's for sure.  But they did sound better on Howie's 110 then they did on the 95 incher I initially heard them on.  I personally, just can't get past the looks of them.  However, they do look better with hard bags, then the leather ones on the SERK.  They kind of overwhelm the leather bags.  I run the V&H Ovals, and am very content with the looks and sound of them.  ;)
Cheers :2vrolijk_21:,
  :devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

DakotaZeb

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2007, 02:16:43 PM »

It's too bad that some one can't design a muffler to provide the performance and the sound of the SPO's, and the new Freedoms, that look good.  I showed my wife a picture of the SPO's on a bagger and she said no way was I putting them on our bike.  She said they look like they belong on a pickup.  And I can't say I'm overly fond of the new Freedoms either.  Too bad V&H doesn't come out with a quiet baffle for the Ovals.  Then I'd have it made.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2007, 08:06:12 PM »

It's too bad that some one can't design a muffler to provide the performance and the sound of the SPO's, and the new Freedoms, that look good.  I showed my wife a picture of the SPO's on a bagger and she said no way was I putting them on our bike.  She said they look like they belong on a pickup.  And I can't say I'm overly fond of the new Freedoms either.  Too bad V&H doesn't come out with a quiet baffle for the Ovals.  Then I'd have it made.

I feel the same way.

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 12:58:26 AM »

I run the V&H and like them.  Get good results with them and the Race Tuner. 
The S&S pipes look a little better if you paint the inside area at the back with flat black paint.  Couple guys I know in our chapter run them on their stock 96 Ultras and did paint the inside area at the back of the pipe.  I agree with the wife who said they look like they belong on  a truck, man their huge.  If you like the mellow sound try looking at the Rush mufflers or the V&H classics as they give the good sound with great HP and Torque gains.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.