Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: dyno tune and the sert  (Read 981 times)

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
dyno tune and the sert
« on: October 13, 2007, 05:40:14 PM »

can't I just put the sert in my laptop at home and retrieve the map they put in the bike when they tuned it?  I have to be honest and say that so far I have not read the manual because I am traveling and don't have my laptop with me, and do not want to put the software on any other computer.   I have read about people getting the map from the dealer that tuned it and would like to know the answer to this prior to leaving the area.
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: dyno tune and the sert
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:15:28 PM »

You can not extract a map using the SERT.   The tuner either gave it to you or didn't.   

Before you pay / leave the dealer they should hand you the map you paid for and the dyno sheet for each cylinder when they are done.   Personally I want dyno sheets showing the bike running at around town type of runs with the eddy brake on showing drag to be sure that my fuel is inline not just wide open throttle.  They called these stepped runs and sweeps.   You should want to see some of the step runs to be sure they did a full tune and that is where you ride most of the time vs. wide open throttle is good to go.  You will find that around 80-90 of your riding is done under 15 percent throttle and that should concern you more than just your bragging rights WOT dyno run for numbers.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

springer-

• Vendor
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 1981 FXSS
    • CVO2: 1983 FXRT
    • Big Boyz Head Porting
Re: dyno tune and the sert
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 11:16:00 AM »

Your best hope is to go back to the tuner and see if they will give you the map.

From HD's point of view there is really no need to be able to extract a Map from the ECM because you would have had to load it in the first place, therefor you should already have a copy.  Unfortunately many don't find out they need the map until after they have had the bike tuned at a place that doesn't give out the maps.  IMO, that is just plain WRONG.  I feel that if they are not willing to give you the Map they probably did/do little or no part throttle adjustments and little or no timing adjustment from the base map they started with and have something to hide.  When you pay for a Dyno tune you are essentially asking them to create a custom Map for your bike using your SERT (or whatever tuning device).  If they fail to supply you with the Map after how would anyone make fine adjustments based on small changes at a later date?

Some places just give out excuses like "I don't know how to do that" or "it can't be done".

For anyone reading this and thinking about getting a tune, the #1 question I would ask is "Will I get a copy of the map(s) when it is done?".  If the answer is no, walk out and don't let them do the work.

Just my 2 cents...

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.