Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SE stage one breather kit  (Read 1189 times)

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
SE stage one breather kit
« on: October 13, 2007, 05:42:07 PM »

so the dealer that just installed the SE breather actually put the stock air cleaner cover from my flhtcuse2 on.  I really did not think it was possible but he did it and it fits and it is tight.  Anybody got any experience why this won't work?  I know that according to mother hd it won't but maybe that is just to sell more parts...just curious...???
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: SE stage one breather kit
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:18:34 PM »

The problem isnt that they did this, the problem is if they did not tune your bike they just added a lot more air to an already lean motor.   If you do not add fuel to the motor you run the risk of burning up the motor due to a too lean of a condition.

I have a stage1 breather on with pipes and using the stock cover there is no issue there the issue is in the tuning of the motor air / fuel wise.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 08:31:15 PM »

Just guessing here, but are you referring to the disclaimer in the catalog that states you must buy a new cover for the '06/'07 CVO Electroglides?  The reason is that the '06/'07 CUSE cover does not make full contact around the end of the air filter element like it did with the older covers.  This doesn't affect filtration, but the cover can wobble and eventually fracture the filter at the center nut.  Many folks on this site have made this work with the stock CUSE cover by adding an additional gasket in the areas that don't touch, to provide better support for the cover.

In the attachment, I've marked the area I'm talking about with red arrows.  If you install the filter to the cover with the center nut while it's off the bike, you will be able to see where the cover doesn't touch the element.  For more information, check out this thread:
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=15449.0

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdctss

• Senior CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHTKSE, 2013 FLHTCUSE8 - both traded
    • CVO3: 2009 FLHTCUSE4, 2007 FLHTCUSE2 - both traded
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 10:09:36 AM »

thanks...checked it out last night and found that while it is tight there are two areas where the cover is not making good contact...it is not rocking now but  after a thousand miles or so it might so I'll pick up a new cover this week.
2018 FLHTKSE Anniversary Odyssey Blue
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire with Dragontail Graphics (traded)
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Silver/Slate and Titanium (traded)
2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue (traded)
2007 FLHTCUSE2 Candy Red (traded)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »

thanks...checked it out last night and found that while it is tight there are two areas where the cover is not making good contact...it is not rocking now but  after a thousand miles or so it might so I'll pick up a new cover this week.

No need to buy a new cover unless you just want to...use the thick gasket material grc mentions and just glue it onto the filter cap plate, use a drop of Blue Loctite on the cover bolt, and you're good to go.  Also, use some blue loctite on the three button head screws holding the filter cap plate on. 
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.