Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hlypercharger  (Read 1102 times)

GEEZER-X

Hlypercharger
« on: October 19, 2007, 05:58:24 PM »

Can anyone tell me why the hyperchargers are not rated well for a intake? Is there a way to tell if it is not getting the job done. I have a 04 SEEG 107 ci. If they don't work well, what would be a good one to try out,, any suggestions or opinions? Thanks, Doyle
04 SE FLHT Revolution Performance 107 kit  thunder header, HQ 0033g cams, HQ heads, 10.6comp, PC3, 115hp-130torque..

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Hlypercharger
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:55:01 PM »

Can anyone tell me why the hyperchargers are not rated well for a intake? Is there a way to tell if it is not getting the job done. I have a 04 SEEG 107 ci. If they don't work well, what would be a good one to try out,, any suggestions or opinions? Thanks, Doyle
Doyle,

IMHO, simpler is better.  The Hypercharger is more about show, with vacuum operated butterflies that are supposed to look like the intake on a top fuel dragster (whack the throttle wide open and the butterflies open).  This has no advantage that I can find over an air cleaner that just has a larger opening all the time.  The butterflies just add more complexity and maintenance requirements, plus possible failure of the vacuum motor and linkage system.  The other implied benefit is a "ram air" effect by having the cover shaped like a scoop facing forward (poor man's blower).  I've never seen any impartial test data to support that. 

Take a look at the Dougherty air cleaner as an alternative.  There are several folks on this site using one, hopefully they will see this and add their comments.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 11:42:46 PM »

Hi GEEZER-X,
In addition to what grc has said, I have heard that the Hypercharger is more susceptible to water getting into the intake and affecting the engine as well as the ram air effect in the front can wear out a spot on the air filter in the front unless you regularly rotate your air filter.
I would also think with your SEEG you would not get as much airflow as you would think due to your lowers blocking the air.
I have the Arlen Ness Big Sucker stage 1 and love it. If you want more airflow than that ,you can get a stage 2 kit which is thicker and you can't use a stock air cleaner cover.

GEEZER-X

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 08:46:53 PM »

thanks for the reply, although a little late, been on vacation.. but do appreiate the imput, it is something to think about, and I have looked at the big sucker when at Biketoberfest, seem to be pretty nice. Not sure what I will do yet, but again thanks.
04 SE FLHT Revolution Performance 107 kit  thunder header, HQ 0033g cams, HQ heads, 10.6comp, PC3, 115hp-130torque..

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »

HYPE-rchargers get alot of centerfold coverage, but thats about it. as said, the power pak or the big sucker work well.

SE backing plate with zippers hi-flow filter work also, some OEM fitment problems with the larger filters.

if i had to choose only one to keep in stock, it would be the big sucker-------vents work well, filters more air than most engines require, and is inexpensive.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.