Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 08 SERK Air Cleaner  (Read 2882 times)

rottenroger

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
08 SERK Air Cleaner
« on: October 19, 2007, 07:52:12 PM »

Hi Folks this has probably been covered, but I'll ask anyway. Is the Football A/C on the 08 SERk considered a high flow A/C or should it be replaced with a different A/C when installing new pipes and tuner? Do they make a high flow
K&N filter to fit the original A/C? Thanks for your input.
Code:

SE A/C
Rush Slip-on mufflers  2.25 Baffles
SERT
Chrome Head Bolt Bridge Cover
Ironside Passenger Floor boards
Flush Mount Gas Cap and Gauge
Standard Height Sissy Bar with Rack and 105 Annie Back Rest
Auxilary Passing Lamps
Clearview 17" light gray recurve Shield

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
Re: 08 SERK Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 09:01:10 PM »

Hi Rotten

The OEM filter on the 08 SERK is not a high flow A/C. FWIW I went with the Harley chrome back plate and K&N P/N HD 0800 filter with the stock cover. Arlen Ness is good also.

I put A/C, race tuner and RH TD on mine. Made her a whole new bike. Much cooler, more butt torque, sounds like a Harley.  Keep the painted parts up.

JW
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 09:09:13 PM by Black Diamond 110 »

Quint

• You all know how I earn a livin'
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 Road King - Crystal Copper/Black Onyx
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCUI Electra Glide Ultra Classic
    • CVO3: 2004 FLHRI Road King
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:07:02 PM »

RottenRoger

I have just started to go down this path. The A/C that comes standard on the 08 SERK is NOT a high flow A/C - for that you need part no. 29260-08, which is the Screamin Eagle Stage 1 A/C. BUT... you also need part no 29121-07, which is an A/C cover which replaces the fancy CVO cover that comes with the bike. I don't know what it looks like, because there is no picture of it anywhere on H-D's website or literature, but I was told it was black with an orange trim ring. Sounds fugly.

I had my SERK in the shop today for Rinehart TDs, SERT, dyno tune, etc, and at 4:00pm I called and asked how they were going. They told me the pipes are all fitted and it looks fantastic, but the dyno had a crapped-out sensor, they had called the dyno tech in and he would fix it in the morning and they would have me outta there tomorrow afternoon. I questioned whether they would get all that done on a busy Saturday afternoon, but he assured me they would.

I told him that I read somewhere that it needed a different A/C cover than the one that came with the bike. He said no. I urged him to check, because I had a distinct recollection that a different cover was needed. He then called me back and said that I was right, and that they didn't have the part in stock, and no other dealers around had the part. I told him that I didn't want to ride the bike without an A/C cover so he then suggested that I pick up the bike and reschedule for another day. I then said "But you've got the Rineharts fitted and no custom map".

"Well," he said, "the Rineharts have been fitted to a different customer's bike and I made a mistake."

I hate being bullchitted. I don't mind mistakes. I don't mind an honest delay. But telling me I couldn't pick up my bike because the pipes were already fitted and then telling me he made a mistake - I'm now having second thoughts about getting the Rineharts fitted. $2,500 oughta buy sterling service, not BS.

Sorry for the rant, but if you can buy a hi flow K&N filter and keep the CVO A/C cover, I would definitely do that. I had a quick look at the K&N website, and when I searched specifically for the FLHRSE4, it said there was no product for it. The hits just keep on coming...
You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 10:25:11 PM »

Rottenroger - Any of the air cleaners that use the black plastic back plate are not true high flow air cleaners.  You need to look at the Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, or one of the aftermarket types like Ness, Dougherty, etc., for a true high flow.

Quint - You may very well be able to use the stock air cleaner cover with the SE air cleaner.  This issue started on the '06 model CVO's, when Harley changed the shape of the center section of the cover.  It used to be round, and it fit perfectly against the end of the K&N filter.  The '06 and later CVO covers went to a more oval center section, and therefore the cover doesn't touch the end of the filter all the way around.  This doesn't affect filtering, but the reduced support and the heavy cover can cause the cover to move/vibrate/etc. and possibly fracture the filter at the center mounting nut.  The cure for many with the '06/'07 models was to install additional gasket material where the filter wasn't making contact with the cover.  There are several threads discussing this very issue.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 10:44:37 PM »

You can use your stock cover. You need the Screaming Eagle backing plate (chrome will not fit the 08 without modification I'm told). K$N doesn't make a filter that will fit you can use the S.E. high flow filter all you need to do is install a 1/4" rubber spacer between the filter element and the inside of the stock cover. Have this set-up on my 08 SERK looks stock, but with D$D Fatcat SERT, and a full dyno session doesn't run stock HOLD ON !!!!! :bananarock:

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 03:50:35 PM »

You can use your stock cover. You need the Screaming Eagle backing plate (chrome will not fit the 08 without modification I'm told). K$N doesn't make a filter that will fit you can use the S.E. high flow filter all you need to do is install a 1/4" rubber spacer between the filter element and the inside of the stock cover. Have this set-up on my 08 SERK looks stock, but with D$D Fatcat SERT, and a full dyno session doesn't run stock HOLD ON !!!!! :bananarock:

Bubblehead

Thanks for the info - that's great news!!! Can you tell me what the part number for the SE backing plate? Also, I assume the 1/4" rubber space is a round washer - what's the outer diameter and is that a part which is available at the HD dealer? Sorry to be anal but I want to keep the CVO cover and the service dept at my dealer keep scratchin their heads and looking like lost sheep.  >:(

Thank you much 

You all know me. You know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for yer but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

jackyass

• fort worth, texas
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 06:45:43 PM »

quint, grc, & bubble head;  took my 08 se ultra to the dealer this morn. they put on rinehart td's and said my a/c was high flow enough, but i didn't believe them.  thanks guys for the good info.  my bike sounds great (reminds me of my 85 softail with straight pipes)  almost to loud, but what a look when you blast off,  and people turn around expecting to see a hot chopper and see an old fart on an ultra! that 110 is definately a harley once you get some good exaust on it.  I just realize that it is a process and as usual, the harley shops are the last ones to know whats going on$$$  my dyno guy told me, even before i had the rineharts put on that the stock back plate would have to go so it could breath.  I'll tell him about the washers, and if i get any good info i will post it.  It will be a process to get perfection.  exhaust, breather, tuner, dyno.  thanks guys, jackie   

jackyass

• fort worth, texas
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 06:54:09 PM »

PS.   the propper sert for the 08 is not out yet.   Harley is working on it because the fly-by-wire throtle system does not respond right on the dyno.  the throtle has some sort of delay response, rather than an imediate response of the cable throtle, and it messes up the the dyno readings.  the new sert was due out the end of sept. but it is late.  Hear that it IS a priority for harley, so it should be avaliable in a couple of weeks....

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2007, 11:38:03 PM »

Don't have the part # for you but they shouldn't have any trouble whatsoever at the H.D parts counter for the backing plate it is listed in there book. As far as the spacer the tech that set up my bike used the appropriate washer or washers that fit best when he had it apart. Even a parts bolter oner should be able to figure that out when you take it in. There have been alot of posts here about the 08 SERT and yes it is out and installed on several members rides. This is my fourth H.D. and imo it is the best I've ever ridden !! Very responsive and the torque curve seems just right where you would want it. Now all I need is the Traxxion/Bitubo suspension combo and I'm set. Good luck and remember there is pretty much all of the info you could ever want on this site. Most of it is from people who know much more than me about this stuff, I just know what I feel when riding and I'm a real pain in the butt to my dealer asking questions and doing research here and anywhere else I can gain good and trusted information. :drink:

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Screaming Eagle Road King
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2007, 08:50:18 AM »

Quint...

As I posted prior I'm picking up my bike this Sunday....

Here is what I'm having install on my Bike.....

Description & Items #....

1. Rhinehart exhaust Tru-Dual 07 FL #1800-0434
2. Kit, 8E Stage 1 A/C 50MM #29260-08
3. EFI Race Tuner Kit #32107-01H
4. Kit, Wind Deflector Assem #57357-07
5. HID Headlamp FLHR #68043-D6A

Let me know what you thinks.....

Hope this helps.......

2008 Screaming Eagle Road King

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2007, 09:15:33 AM »

Quint,

While reading your post again, Are you having your bike Dyno after all this work is being done ?  I was told that the bike should be Dyno at the 1000 mile service....

Just wondering  :nixweiss:

Copper/Black Cvo

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2007, 03:55:37 PM »

8)

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »

I just went through this with mine and no its not the SE filter.  Was told at Latus Motors that in order to pass this EPA stuff they had to use the ones that restrict the air more.  How's Rena, tell he hi fore me. 
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 02:22:56 AM »

Quint,

While reading your post again, Are you having your bike Dyno after all this work is being done ?  I was told that the bike should be Dyno at the 1000 mile service....

Just wondering  :nixweiss:

Copper/Black

I picked up my bike yesterday. I dropped it off with 1000 miles on the clock. I posted the dyno chart and details in the Intake/Exhaust/ECM section. But anyway, power is now at 98 hp with 115 lb ft. Bike sounds awesome, has more pep, and will pull from 45 mph in 6th gear without hesitation or pinging. Speaking of "without hesitation", I would highly recommend it. When taking it easy, the Rineharts sound relaxed, refined and subdued. When cranking it, it sounds like a demon... I took it for a ride tonight, doing some errands. Went into the UPS store and got a 15-year-old say, "Cool ride, dude." Came out of the UPS store, and a young couple outside smoking gave me the thumbs up when I started it, and when I dropped into Smiths, I came out and a young guy was admiring the bike and struck up a conversation.

I've had some nice sickles over the years, but none... NONE... have got the attention that this sumbitch has. Yeah!  (sorry to ramble...) :2vrolijk_21:

By the way, if you don't want to dyno it before 1,000 miles, but you want the map I got from my dyno session, let me know. I can post it to you.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 10:02:33 AM »

Copper/Black

I picked up my bike yesterday. I dropped it off with 1000 miles on the clock. I posted the dyno chart and details in the Intake/Exhaust/ECM section. But anyway, power is now at 98 hp with 115 lb ft. Bike sounds awesome, has more pep, and will pull from 45 mph in 6th gear without hesitation or pinging. Speaking of "without hesitation", I would highly recommend it. When taking it easy, the Rineharts sound relaxed, refined and subdued. When cranking it, it sounds like a demon... I took it for a ride tonight, doing some errands. Went into the UPS store and got a 15-year-old say, "Cool ride, dude." Came out of the UPS store, and a young couple outside smoking gave me the thumbs up when I started it, and when I dropped into Smiths, I came out and a young guy was admiring the bike and struck up a conversation.

I've had some nice sickles over the years, but none... NONE... have got the attention that this sumbitch has. Yeah!  (sorry to ramble...) :2vrolijk_21:

By the way, if you don't want to dyno it before 1,000 miles, but you want the map I got from my dyno session, let me know. I can post it to you.

Quint, I did a search but did not see the dyno charts.  Also, can you please post your sert map?  I'd like to take a look.

Thanks
Any day on the bike is a good day.

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 10:29:54 AM »

********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Quint

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2007, 03:24:06 PM »

Quint, I did a search but did not see the dyno charts.  Also, can you please post your sert map?  I'd like to take a look.

Thanks

Sorry Screminegul - I actually posted it under here....
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=12079.msg282052#msg282052

When I get a little more time, I'll post the map.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 21 queries.