Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Almost there, but still need help.  (Read 3904 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Almost there, but still need help.
« on: November 11, 2007, 07:29:29 PM »

Almost there with the Zippers kit, after almost two years or going back and forth, swapping and changing, it's ALMOST right.

The turn signals work (Yaaaaayyyyy!!!!!).
The bike runs AWESOME.
I can live with the mpgs (low to mid 30s)

but.......

The speedometer still acts up. Sometimes the needle bounces back and forth between 10 and 70 mph. Sometimes it drops to 5mph, hangs there for a second and then pops back up the the current speed, and sometimes it acts like the tach, revving up and down with engine speed, mirroring what the tach is doing. When the speedometer does this, the stereo AVC acts accordingly and gets louder or softer. I pulled the speedo sensor in the tranny and cleaned it, and that made no difference.

My bike is an '01 with their M&M Conversion Kit on it. Since there is no speedo calibration number for the '01 touring, I am using 04352, the speedo calibration for '02 touring.

Any ideas what this could be?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Almost there, but still need help.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 07:49:40 PM »

Mark, with all the other changes it's hard not to assume the problem has to be there.  Just for grins though have you cleaned the sensor?

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 09:32:52 PM »

Mark, with all the other changes it's hard not to assume the problem has to be there.  Just for grins though have you cleaned the sensor?

If you mean the one on the top of the tranny, yes I did. It was covered with all that "fuzz" metallic stuff. Maybe the sensor went bad, but I don't hear of that too often. I'll clean it again. This is driving me nuts, because now I can't use the cruise control, and the stereo volume goes up and down.

Rhino, you're damn good with the Zippers stuff.
Any ideas that could help me out?

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:47:41 PM »

If you mean the one on the top of the tranny, yes I did. It was covered with all that "fuzz" metallic stuff. Maybe the sensor went bad, but I don't hear of that too often. I'll clean it again. This is driving me nuts, because now I can't use the cruise control, and the stereo volume goes up and down.

Rhino, you're damn good with the Zippers stuff.
Any ideas that could help me out?

Mark

Mark, he's quite likely still lurking under some new username.   After throwing one last fit a few weeks ago Rhino isn't on the site anymore though.  He suicided his membership.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 11:48:01 PM »

Mark, he's quite likely still lurking under some new username.   After throwing one last fit a few weeks ago Rhino isn't on the site anymore though.  He suicided his membership.

Twolane,

It's a shame he did that, he was a wealth of Zippers knowledge, and over all knowledge.
Self punishment is the hardest kind of punishment.
Hopefully he will settle down and come back around.

Mark

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 07:42:03 AM »

iron horse, i cant say about the stereo, but i have seen your other symptoms caused by the ignition switch. twice in fact. duece, and flh. both were delphi????????????????????????????

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2007, 07:54:07 AM »

Twolane,

It's a shame he did that, he was a wealth of Zippers knowledge, and over all knowledge.
Self punishment is the hardest kind of punishment.
Hopefully he will settle down and come back around.

Mark
Here Here Here    :smash: :smash:

I miss Rhino and his wealth of knowledge and his sense of humore too.  I too wish he'd come back. 

It is such a shame that he is gone (even if it was self deletion :zHole:) .

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2007, 09:07:47 AM »

iron horse, i cant say about the stereo, but i have seen your other symptoms caused by the ignition switch. twice in fact. duece, and flh. both were delphi????????????????????????????

Somebody else on the VTF just mentioned the same thing. What was the solution, clean the igintion switch, or replace it? I'm guessing that when it happens again, the best way to test it is to jiggle the switch (without turning the bike off) and see if it stops.

Does those other bikes have a Zippers kit too?

Mark

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 09:17:49 AM »

Here Here Here    :smash: :smash:

I miss Rhino and his wealth of knowledge and his sense of humore too.  I too wish he'd come back. 

It is such a shame that he is gone (even if it was self deletion :zHole:) .

Well unlike real suicide, which closes a door permanently, hopefully he will settle down and see that the one person he is really hurting is himself. When you are 6 feet under you can't see the throngs of folks who miss you and like you. But going into self imposed exile sometimes allows one to reflect, look inside and find the answer. It's like a Time Out, or Penalty Box, except the person choose to put themself in it.

I hope he comes back.

Mark

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 12:26:01 PM »

Almost there with the Zippers kit, after almost two years or going back and forth, swapping and changing, it's ALMOST right.

My bike is an '01 with their M&M Conversion Kit on it.Mark

This is exactly why I run from the Zippers conversion.
Not two weeks or two months but two years for Ironhorse and it's still not right.

No way for me!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 12:36:35 PM »

This is exactly why I run from the Zippers conversion.
Not two weeks or two months but two years for Ironhorse and it's still not right.

No way for me!

It has been frightening watching/reading all that Mark has gone through.  I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that some of his problems he had to take responsibility for himself simply because he knowingly started down a path that no one had really walked yet.  If you want it bad enough to go first those hassles are sometimes part of the cost.

More than that, however, the company left him high and dry on so many occasions.  Questions unanswered.  Often all but just blown off when he tried to get help.  It's not been a pretty thing to watch as all this has transpired.

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 12:56:29 PM »

Somebody else on the VTF just mentioned the same thing. What was the solution, clean the igintion switch, or replace it? I'm guessing that when it happens again, the best way to test it is to jiggle the switch (without turning the bike off) and see if it stops.

Does those other bikes have a Zippers kit too?

Mark

one did not and was carbed, the other had t-max. i found the problem by making sure the swith was fully engaged, at which point the speedo would work correctly. let go of switch, let the bike vibrate a little and the problem returned.

replace the switch was my cure because of bikes belonging to customers. cost was around $50 IIRC.

you should be able to take an analog VOM and wiggle the switch in on position to see if meter sweeps some.

hoping this helps.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 01:12:21 PM »

It has been frightening watching/reading all that Mark has gone through.  I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that some of his problems he had to take responsibility for himself simply because he knowingly started down a path that no one had really walked yet.  If you want it bad enough to go first those hassles are sometimes part of the cost.

More than that, however, the company left him high and dry on so many occasions.  Questions unanswered.  Often all but just blown off when he tried to get help.  It's not been a pretty thing to watch as all this has transpired.

Don

I was telling Brian (103T) that I had a point at which I had to make a decision when I decided I wanted a Road Glide.

I could buy a Road Glide that was a Screaming Eagle which came with the M&M ecm or buy a Road Glide that came with the Delphi system. For the ultimate power potential in a fuel injected bike the Delphi was the only choice. For a Screaming Eagle in a Road Glide the M&M is the only system available in stock configuration. Tman fussed at me for choosing the M&M. The guy that put together the Frontier did the same. Guess what? I love "Ol Blu", it's a keeper.
It's going into the shop next week for some motor cleanup and fine tuning. The goal is dependability and if it makes a few more ponies than stock, that's OK also.
This SERG is a classic. I clean and polish on it everyday. And every day I find something that shows me that buying this bike was a good and smart decision. I still find things that are just now becoming available on the new bikes. Plus the paint is close to perfect.
So the choice from big horsepower or a classic Screaming Eagle Road Glide, from a man that has never had enough horsepower I believe I made the best decision by buying the SERG.

And even though I'm on restriction, Nancy likes this bike enough that we may get one for her.
If we can find one.
(There's alway a way to get around restrictions)

S
  /
    B

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 01:20:15 PM by Silver-Black »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 04:21:02 PM »

(There's alway a way to get around restrictions)

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Also, just as something to keep in the back of your mind; if you do find yourself in any way concerned about tuning the M&M bikes don't forget John Golden.  He can still use the Power Commander version for the M&M and I know for a fact he's made a couple of them run better than they ever did.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 04:25:39 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

Also, just as something to keep in the back of your mind; if you do find yourself in any way concerned about tuning the M&M bikes don't forget John Golden.  He can still use the Power Commander version for the M&M and I know for a fact he's made a couple of them run better than they ever did.
I didn't know stock SERG's used them. :confused5:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 21 queries.