Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Corbin or Mustang Solo seat  (Read 11128 times)

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
Corbin or Mustang Solo seat
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:33:21 AM »

OK I really can not decide what to get next for the bike. However, I hardly ever ride two up anymore and do love the solo look. Look wise the Corbin really does it for me, especially because I can add the chrome V rail - I like nostalgic looking bikes. On the other had the Corbin is only 13" wide while the mustang is 15, making the mustang better for my fat A$$. I also remember hearing from folks that Corbin seats are hard. I did have a Mustang on my 03 heritage, but I wound up putting a gel pad on top of it....... Any info is appreciated!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Corbin or Mustang Solo seat
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 11:57:05 AM »

OK I really can not decide what to get next for the bike. However, I hardly ever ride two up anymore and do love the solo look. Look wise the Corbin really does it for me, especially because I can add the chrome V rail - I like nostalgic looking bikes. On the other had the Corbin is only 13" wide while the mustang is 15, making the mustang better for my fat A$$. I also remember hearing from folks that Corbin seats are hard. I did have a Mustang on my 03 heritage, but I wound up putting a gel pad on top of it....... Any info is appreciated!

Corbin seats are firm, not hard.  It's a distinction with a difference.  Firm is load spreading and sharing distribution across the field.  Hard is a board against your ass.

You're right, when you grab a Corbin it doesn't feel at all plush or comfy or luxurious to your hand.  For some reason the ass has as a different interpretation than the hand though.  Have sat on a Corbin solo a few times.  My derrier is not at all narrow either.  The Solo has seemed fine.  So the extra width of the Mustang may not be necessary.

Both saddles are generally deemed comfortable by their owners.  So it may come to do choices of cost and appearance.  Personally after having done them so long and so many times I just about can't not do the Corbins.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »

I had the wide Mustang solo with studs and backrest on my 2000 RK & loved it. Smacked up the RK & ended up ordering a brand new Heritage & a new Mustang solo to match. Never did take delivery of the Heritage & bought an Ultra instead. Still have the brand new Mustang solo with studs and built in backrest sitting in the box. I run a Corbin Heated on my new bike. For a solo I don't think that you can go wrong with the Mustang. Kuryakyn makes a nice rail for the Mustang. Good luck :2vrolijk_21:

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 12:36:27 PM »

Thanks! Twolanerider do you know the part # for the Kuryakyn part? I also live well within a ride down to Corbin so I emailed them about going there and having the seat made to fit me - not sure if that is extra $$ but I am sure they will let me know

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 01:13:35 PM »

Thanks! Twolanerider do you know the part # for the Kuryakyn part? I also live well within a ride down to Corbin so I emailed them about going there and having the seat made to fit me - not sure if that is extra $$ but I am sure they will let me know

Sorry but I couldn't quickly find it.  Muffman mentioned the Kuryakyn part for a Mustang seat.  On a quick search I didn't see it though.  If you're calling Corbin they've got a rail for their seat though.  I've got the same rail on my tan ostrich dual tour seat.  It's a nice looking piece.

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »

Sorry but I couldn't quickly find it.  Muffman mentioned the Kuryakyn part for a Mustang seat.  On a quick search I didn't see it though.  If you're calling Corbin they've got a rail for their seat though.  I've got the same rail on my tan ostrich dual tour seat.  It's a nice looking piece.

I'm coming up with part # 9033. I don't have the book with me to verify. I had one on my 2000RK so I'm not sure if this is for that or the solo.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »

I cannot personally vouch for the mustang, but my husband just replaced his at in and around the 70,000 mile mark.  He replaced it with the Corbin tour dual heated seat that Don is telling you about. I have a solo Corbin, - with the chrome railing - and it has about that same plus minus 70,000 miles on it.  Jamey's mustang was beginning to have lost it's original firmness, and after several hours of riding, he envisioned he could feel the bike frame.  My seat ---- still feels fantastic.  However, on his mustang, the cover still looks brand new.  On my seat, the cover is very badly worn.  So ------ based on this knowledge and observation - going with comfort over beauty, I'd go Corbin again if buying. Cheaper to get a cover than a whole new seat.  

Saying all that too though, I think I will be getting a whole new seat this year ----- cause I want the solo with the heat.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:33:57 AM by Mrs.We »

lilbear

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: '06 VRSCSE2 - Yellow & Silver
    • CVO2: '08 FLHRSE4 - Black & Silver
    • CVO3: '11 FLHXSE2 - Black & Orange
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »

Bikerbehaviorist,

First of all, nice choice of scoot!  Let me say, as a fellow, let's just say, wider than average "arse" rider, I was terribly dissapointed with the Mustang.  It sure feels good for about 100 miles or so, but then, the seat starts to apply pressure at the crease area of the thigh and the hip area.  After a while, it starts to feel like your jeans are crinkled there or something, but no chance, smooth and creaseless.  Nonetheless, the pain increases until the ride terminates.  The extra width of the seat may well contribute to this discomfort.  The Mustang is firm, but doesn't give the same distributed support that the firmer Corbin gives.  If solo is your preference, I can't even imagine passing on the Corbin Solo.  The CVO version of that seat for our bike is gorgeous.  I'm presently waiting for them to release the dual tour CVO for the '08.  Get the Corbin and don't even look back.  Corbin with heat,.... SWEET!

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:13:02 PM »

I've had Mustangs and I've got a Corbin now. I'm done with the Mustang. It was better than the stock seat, but it still wore out. Corbin is it for me now. :)

:indian_chief:

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:28:49 PM »

Bikerbehaviorist,

First of all, nice choice of scoot!  Let me say, as a fellow, let's just say, wider than average "arse" rider, I was terribly dissapointed with the Mustang.  It sure feels good for about 100 miles or so, but then, the seat starts to apply pressure at the crease area of the thigh and the hip area.  After a while, it starts to feel like your jeans are crinkled there or something, but no chance, smooth and creaseless.  Nonetheless, the pain increases until the ride terminates.  The extra width of the seat may well contribute to this discomfort.  The Mustang is firm, but doesn't give the same distributed support that the firmer Corbin gives.  If solo is your preference, I can't even imagine passing on the Corbin Solo.  The CVO version of that seat for our bike is gorgeous.  I'm presently waiting for them to release the dual tour CVO for the '08.  Get the Corbin and don't even look back.  Corbin with heat,.... SWEET!

I'll second the above opinion about the Mustang seat, once it gets uncomfortable it stays uncomfortable for the rest of the ride. At least with the Corbin if your rear gets sore during a long ride, just take a short break and you can get back in the saddle and continue on your ride.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:56 AM »

Corbin.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 11:19:38 PM »

Emailed Corbin monday and have not heard back - not to happy about that - I will call tomorrow

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 06:58:14 AM »

Emailed Corbin monday and have not heard back - not to happy about that - I will call tomorrow
Personally, I was never happy with email response, and it has been said here over the years that email is not Corbin's best foot forward.  Phone them, I think you may be much happier.  The response is instant, because it seems for every question and then answer, there is yet another question.  Electronic communication in this venue leaves one too much potential for frustration.

:coolblue: :cherry:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 07:15:34 AM by Mrs.We »

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 07:14:20 AM »

I know in my line of work my responses to any e-mail inquiries always come in 2nd to direct verbal contact.Phone call is the way to go.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2008, 07:23:52 AM »

They meade me mental getting it, they even gave me a little rebate after I bitched. But the seat sure is comfy.

Miker

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2008, 10:02:56 PM »

Phone reply was MUCH better - weather permitting next Friday  :huepfenjump3:
Thinking about the works heat.... grab bar and back rest is a MUST

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »

Phone reply was MUCH better - weather permitting next Friday  :huepfenjump3:
Thinking about the works heat.... grab bar and back rest is a MUST
Which of thier seats are you considering? I've been eyeballing them myself!!  :confused5:

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2008, 11:48:41 PM »

Classic Solo  for 2008 H-D CVO Roadking FLHRSE
http://www.corbin.com/harley/king/hdrkcvo8se.shtml

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 01:24:02 AM »

Keep us posted on the progress/results, and pictures of the new seat are a must!!  I think you will be pleased with the result, and your butt will thank you too!! :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 12:30:02 PM »

I am looking at the same corbin and plan to ride down from Benicia, Ca to get mine done. We should hook up and ride down together.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 12:34:33 PM by sgtbuck »

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »

I'm from Benicia too :) email me with your phone #!

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 01:21:25 PM »

Hope you can take some pics and share. I'd like to see a better view on the fit and look.

Thanks,

Howie

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2008, 11:30:11 PM »

So I went to Corbin today   :)  It has been kinda a long day so I will write up more info tomorrow - maybe a real review  - I am very happy!! For now here are some pics.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2008, 11:31:42 PM »

So I went to Corbin today   :)  It has been kinda a long day so I will write up more info tomorrow - maybe a real review  - I am very happy!! For now here are some pics.

very nice!!  Lookin good!!!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2008, 07:50:56 AM »

Looks very nice and comfortable. Great ride and color if I must say....

Mike K.
kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2008, 05:14:01 PM »

OK here goes I am not a journalist

Experience at Corbin
When I first got there, the person helping me greeted me said he was expecting me and had me bring in my bike. He then said he had his 10 minute break at that time and just sort of left me there. Lucky, that there was there a cafe right there and the cold and beginning to get a little grumpy, Mike got to get some coffee in him ::). Once off his break Gustavo was very knowledgeable. There was no problem watching how he put the hardware on or any of the process for that matter. Fitting the seat was easy. I sat on the pan and he asked me how it felt. I thought that the sides were too wide and rubbing my thighs too much. Gustavo said that shaving that off would compromise the support the seat gave and asked if I felt this while in the riding position or just with feet down. Since it was the latter we left the seat alone. I also felt I needed a little more padding in the back of the seat to accommodate my fat butt. Again, Gustavo felt that too much there would not be supported by the base plate so very little but some was added. A couple of rides around the building and was ready to go. When it came time to pick the material, I thought I would like the bumpy material down the middle of the seat that is pictured on the Corbin web site. In person however, it was too different from the snake skin that is on the bags and stock seat of my bike. So I went with smooth leather all around. I was shown several types of pipping, braided, smooth, a couple of colors that did not match the blue or silver of the bike, but chose to not have any. Mostly because the pipping would be where I felt the seat was already a bit too wide. Then came the choice of pattern and thread. There was really only the one pattern at first and then Gustavo mentioned some others but did not draw them - I liked the first and was beginning to feel a little overwhelmed with choices. Then  the toughest choice, I almost went with a blue thread that was very close to the lighter blue in the paint job on the SERK. I was worried however that it might be a little too busy so went with black. There was also a choice of which back rest and I went with the full the one's with the holes in them look like toilet seats to me... but to each his/her own. I got a decent but not great breakfast for free and a nice tour of the factory where the N. California rep. tried to sell me a fairing that he says they are doing an excellent job of matching the screaming eagle paint ghost flames and all, but he did not have one to show me. He said they are also offering this with an inner fairing with Hogtunes audio. I did not see this on there web page... I am broke and not really sure I want a fairing, but it sounds like it would be very nice.

The Seat
The hour and a half ride home was very comfortable. It is hard to describe, but I feel like I am in the seat and it is supporting me rather than just sitting on the bike. I think it moved me forward slightly, but not enough to have to change pegs or the bars. Several times I thought wow is this  comfy or what! The workmanship on the seat is from what I can see outstanding. The stitching is all fantastic the leather is very supple an feels good. Oh yeah I got all leather on the seat, Gustavo said to me do you want all leather and no vinyl? I said yes and then asked about durability, he replied that it would be just as durable if not more so with the leather.
So I went for it at no extra cost  8) People I talk to say the seat should become even more comfortable as I break it in - sounds great to me  :orange: My one and only complaint was that the heated seat even on low was very hot. At one point I pulled off just so I could look at where the switch was and be safe about reaching for it while riding. Once I did that I would get hot and then turn it off and then back on when needed. I wonder if I can wire it to my heat controller for  my heated clothing? Or maybe put a resistor in line to the hot side and have less juice going into those heating coils.

Hope this was informative and helpful ask questions and I will do my best to answer them. Also thinking about getting this to go on the back
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448769911&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302287433&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302287433&bmUID=1201990309632&bmLocale=en_US&CART_ITEM%3C%3Egrg_ast_id=2534374302287433&CART_ITEM%3C%3Egrg_folder_id=2534374302287433&CART_ITEM%3C%3Egrg_grh_id=8727923303703052&CART_ITEM%3C%3Egrg_id=3620248&CART_ITEM%3C%3Egrg_sku_id=1689949378924620&CART_ITEM%3C%3EqtyDesired=1&CART_ITEM%3C%3EqtyReceived=0&CART_ITEM%3C%3Estatus_cd=A&CART_POSITION=3&CART_LIST=GIFT_REGISTRY_LINE_ARRAY&QTY_UPDATE_RETURN_PAGE=%2Fwishlist%2Fwl_listing.jsp
 Oh I also love how I can see the paint on the fender now, but I am thinking of the rack because I commute on the bike and have to carry stuff so...
Let me know what you think

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2008, 05:50:10 PM »

The seat looks great!!  Glad you had a good experience at the Corbin shop.  Once the seat gets broken in, it will be even more comfy...takes a few hundred miles to get it broken in to fit your butt.  You will not regret this purchase, I don't believe.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2008, 07:33:53 PM »

Just got back from Corbin with my new seat. After meeting with Mike (bikerbehaviorist) the other day and checking out his seat I was sold. I got the classic solo with pillion and back rest, smooth black leather with a rougher black leather in the middle.

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2008, 07:34:50 PM »

another

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2008, 07:35:54 PM »

another

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2008, 07:46:11 PM »

Any thoughts on the quality/comfort difference between the solo w/pillion vs dual tour. For me the passenger seat will be key!! Thanks

Howie

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2008, 08:32:06 PM »

Yeah Mark looks good - did they use your old seat material in the middle?? Any luck with the bag locks?
You know with some of the cold mornings here this week I may have to retract my statement about the heated seat being too warm. With the seat and a gerbing jacket liner I have been toast warm!  8)

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2008, 10:29:14 PM »

The wife sat on it and said is was more comfortable then the stocker so that is a plus. Will test it out on Sat. Mike, they said that they needed more material then was provided on the orig seat. I like it, better support and looks good. I did get the bag locks , thanks.  :mango:

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2008, 09:33:24 AM »

Thanks again for the insight! Hey Mike you did a great job on that lengthy report and the info has given me more to consider. Wish I had Corbin a bit closer. Anyway, one thing I hadn't considered was if the seat would possibly move me forward. Others have reported moving them back so thanks again for making me consider this. I'm 6'4 and have no room to come forward.

Hey Mark can let me know what the war dept thinks of that pillion when you get a chance!

Thanks,

Howie
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 06:39:49 PM by FNGw/08SERK »

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2008, 11:53:30 AM »

The wife sat on it and said is was more comfortable then the stocker so that is a plus. Will test it out on Sat. Mike, they said that they needed more material then was provided on the orig seat. I like it, better support and looks good. I did get the bag locks , thanks.  :mango:
Bag locks ? Please do tell ? Any pics?

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2008, 01:22:04 PM »

Here is a pic of the rear fender no need for a bib in my opinion
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n126/bikerbehaviorist/corbin002l.jpg

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2008, 01:28:27 PM »

Here is a pic of the rear fender no need for a bib in my opinion
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n126/bikerbehaviorist/corbin002l.jpg

The '07's are different and the paint scheme does not continue up under the passenger seat area of the rear fender.

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 Teal SEEG - Sold
    • CVO2: 08 Annie SERK - Sold
    • CVO3: 09 SEUC
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2008, 07:51:37 PM »

Has anyone tried the leather tour pack with the Corbin solo and touring passenger pillion? I did and it doesn't fit. The standard sissy bar for the SERK also doesn't fit. I am planning on calling Corbin to see if they have a fix, which I assume would be reshaping the passenger pillion. I am also wondering how the fit to the tank panel is on other bikes?
Mine has a noticeable gap on one side. Hopefully all can be easily resolved as the seat looks great on my bike and feels good too.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2008, 07:54:38 PM »

The '07's are different and the paint scheme does not continue up under the passenger seat area of the rear fender.

Hoist! 8)
:zwtf:      :worthless:      :drink:     :huepfenlol2:     :nixweiss:

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2008, 08:26:09 PM »

I just tried my tour pack and ,  :oops: it does not fit. I think if I notch the mount to fit around the seat it will fit. Not sure if I am going to try it myself or farm it out? 

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2008, 08:33:08 PM »

I had heard about this at another forum, but only with respect to the other touring bikes. I even asked the rep. at Corbin about it and he had no Idea. Sorry Sgtbuck I thought I had talked with you about that - must be getting old or something my brain is not working as well as it used to.... Did you try the back rest? I also saw that some were able to take the pillion off, put the tourpac on and then put the pillion on... not sure that will work but may be worth a try.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2008, 08:34:23 PM »

I just tried my tour pack and ,  :oops: it does not fit. I think if I notch the mount to fit around the seat it will fit. Not sure if I am going to try it myself or farm it out? 
did u get a chance to put a bsr on the pillion? Any thoughts in terms of comfort??  :confused5:

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2008, 08:38:09 PM »

Misery loves company sorry to hear you have the same problem Sgtbuck.If i get any more info I will pass it on. You would think someone @ Corbin would have thought to check the fit with the tour pack and I did ask them specifically about it.

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »

:orange:  Thanks Mike (bikerbehaviorist) I put the tour pac on first then the pillion and seat and it fits. Glad I could not find my hack saw! Now every thing fits, tour pac and the passenger sissy bar.

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2008, 10:42:09 PM »

I am glad it worked!!! :bananarock:

graygus

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2008, 10:21:21 AM »

Thanks guys mine worked as well.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2008, 04:33:44 PM »

:orange:  Thanks Mike (bikerbehaviorist) I put the tour pac on first then the pillion and seat and it fits. Glad I could not find my hack saw! Now every thing fits, tour pac and the passenger sissy bar.
Tested and/or have thoughts on the pillion comfort?  :confused5:

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2008, 09:06:43 PM »

The wife says its more comfy then the stock seat. We took a little 300 mile ride up to the Sierra Nevada foothills and she did not complain at all.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2008, 11:27:23 PM »

It looks like you guys already figured out to put the tour pack on first, then install the passenger pillion. The hidden bonus of the tight fit is that it makes it impossible for a thief to steal your tour pack when you have the passenger pillion on. No need for rigging up a lock to keep the tour pack on your bike.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2008, 10:10:59 PM »

Any chance you've got pics that show the entire bike with the solo on it. If you do would you mind posting some? Just as I was settling on the dual tour I see this and I gotta say it looks awesome!  :2vrolijk_21:   :2vrolijk_21:   TIA

Howie

Raskul

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2008, 12:43:46 AM »

Hey, I just noticed... the Moco decided to finish the paint job on the rear fender for '08 allowing a solo seat!  I wish they weren't so cheap in '07.

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2008, 12:25:59 PM »

Hows this

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2008, 01:06:36 PM »

Qcbiker

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2008, 01:26:16 PM »

Hi like your new seat very much, want to know , do oyu protect your fender (paint) with something before you put the pillion in ? if yes wuth what ?

thanks

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2008, 01:53:27 PM »

Sgtbuck, I have a question for you about the TP and the passenger's seating position.

As of right now I'm still going to stay with the stock SERK seat as my wife seems to be able to put up with her end of the seat and my end is the most comfortable seat I've ridden in lately.  At least for now that's what I'm staying with.

It appears, as my setup did, that the TP back rest is very far forward compared to just the passenger's back rest that came with the bike.  Both my wife and I carry a few extra pounds and we really had issues with the tight quarters of the passenger's area with the TP installed.  I even used the most rearward mounting holes between the TP and the flat chrome mounting plate, but still just a bit tight.  So I redrilled the chrome mounting plate and was able to sneak another 1.25" more of the mounting.  This has helped a lot, but I'm still looking at the Kuryakan (spelling) new "U" shaped chrome tubing mount.  This allows up to another 3" rearward positioning of the TP.

Now for the question.

Do you have enough room and have you thought also about moving the TP rearward?

I like the seat, looks great.  Did I read you correctly that Corbin used the reptile material from your old seat as an insert or did they buy matching material?

Thanks for the help and enjoy the new comfy ride.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

sgtbuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2008, 08:33:45 PM »

Never thought about moving the tour pac back, wife fits fine. I asked corbin if they would use the reptile from my old seat but they said that there was not enough material there to fit the stitching pattern that they offer, so I went with the pebble grain in the middle.

popper

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2008, 10:07:45 PM »

I gotta ask. I am thinking about a new seat for my 08 Annie. I've had two mustang seats on a softail. One I love and one I am selling. I live pretty close to a major wholesale store and have talked to thier sales staff about seats. The general thoughts are that Corbin owners either love or hate the seats. They complain about the firmness at first but once the seat is broke in, they can't be parted from the owners. The problem is, there is no test ride, once the seat is installed, it is mine. I guess everyone's back side is different. I don't have extra cushion in that area and am wondering if anyone else who has a Corbin seat is in the same situation. Does the firmness become a problem? The seat looks great on the bike. alsoa question about the tour pac. I see that the tour pac has to go on first and then the seat. Does this crowd the passenger? Thanks !   
Keep your knees to the breeze

bikerbehaviorist

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2008, 10:24:27 PM »

For me it is a great seat. Now this does not mean that it is cushy and comfy all the time... Just like any seat I have ever had I get tired of siting... I did a 300 mile round trip yesterday and about 150 today. Where the seat felt a little wide for me I feel some pressure there around 60-70 miles. Then around 100 or so I feel like I would like more cushion in several places. I can go another 20 or 30 miles though no problem.. More than likely I would like to stretch and/or use the bathroom by or before the 120 mile mark any way... The think that is different about the corbin than other seats I have used though is when I get back on I am good to go the mileage I just out lined again. I had a mustang on my heritage and I wound up buying a gel pad for it .... bottom line - I say go for the corbin :2vrolijk_21:

popper

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2008, 08:10:15 PM »

I've been eyeing the Corbin seat and following the comments here. I am thinking about the dual tour but also like the solo and pillion. Here is my situation. I have just been able to get on the bike after a long winter and with 300m miles on it so far. The stock seat doesn't feel too bad but I haven't had a long ride yet. The stock back rest doesn't work for me. It feels  like I want to tilt the top back more but the adjustment won't let me. My wife doesn't like the small pad and short sissy bar either. I'm about 6'2" and 210#. I am looking into moving floorboards now. My wife is not going to be able to give up much room either on the back. I was wondering how Corbin's backrests are as far as comfort and adjustability. Does the passenger feel the height is better than the stock seat? The Corbin sounds like it might be a good seat, just wondering if it will fit ok. Most seats can't be returned so a person is stuck if they don't like them. I will also probably add the tour pak later this Spring. I love the bike though. A good ride.

popper

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2008, 02:21:41 AM »

A couple of other questions. I also noticed that the seat has a lock. Does that work pretty good? I also was at Corbin's site looking at seats and pillions. It looks like the pillion covers the mounting bolt for the stock seat. Also I read that with a tourpac, the tourpac goes on first, then the seat. How does the pillion attatch? Thanks again for the info.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2008, 07:28:29 AM »

My corbin pillion is too tight a fit.  I am going to have to modify the the pillion bas plate.  It rubbed on the fender and is a beeyatch to get on and off, you really have to cram it under the tp mount plate...A dremmel and new rivets, Ill let you know how it worked out
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 21 queries.