Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Your live in the hands of a mechanic  (Read 2732 times)

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
Your live in the hands of a mechanic
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:41:26 PM »

I have many times mentioned in this forum how little I trust the mechanics this side of the pond...specially in Spain.
You cannot trust anyone and I have just suffered the consequences of taking my CVO 08 Springer to the local H-D rep. for the 500 mile service.
It is so simple, just change oils and check for lose bolts... well no, not even with a simple thing like this they can perform a proper job  >:(

The guy who did the service is not only a bad mechanic (not even a mechanic..), but what he did was a clear criminal act and I can do nothing about it. You can be a bad mechanic and damage a thread or break some part or element, but when he completely damages the thread of the gearbox drain plug and instead of informing about the problem, he puts loads of teflon and glue to the plug and hopes it doesn't come out before you leave the vicinity, then in that case, I can simply say that he commited a criminal act.

It was very clear that the moment that drain plug fell, all the gearbox oil would impregnate the rear wheel in such a way that  more than likely I would have lost the control of my bike completely with terrible results. Someone who hides such an ill doing can not be a mechanic and should not be in a workshop, but more likely in jail!

I was very lucky that I noticed an oil leak from the underside of my bike; I feel almost sick when I realize that I did about 1000 miles before realizing the situation and it was only when I tried to get rid of the leak that I noticed that the darin plug would turn in any direction without tightening itself.

What is as bad, now nobody wants to get the blame for it and both the H-D dealer I bought my FXSTSSE2 08 and the nearby H-D dealer where the danmage was done, claim that they have nothing to say about the whole deal and that it is NOT a warranty claim for Harley since it was wrong doing by an H-D mechanic but not a design error...

I cannot believe this and what is more, the local dealer is hinting that I might have been the one who overtightened the plug when I noticed the leak.......

I have to thank God that I'm here telling you this story, but I know as a fact that it will be ages before I get my CVO back and running. There is something terribly sick about this whole ordeal.

Just take a look at what they did to my CVO and feel glad to live in a Country where there are more good mechanics than bad, even though, as I said, the guy who did this to my Screaming Eagle is more of a criminal IMHO!

http://imageevent.com/wforest/helicoilplugthreadrepair

No Springer for the rest of the summer and might even have to pay for parts and labour; that's not fair.

Best Regards,
Spanish Flyer
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 05:39:44 PM by Spanish Flyer »
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Your live in the hands of a mechanic
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 05:15:22 PM »

As with many of us here... you have learned the hard way!  :-\

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 05:21:23 PM »

Spanish Flyer,
Sorry to hear about what happened.  It's clearly on the head of the servicing dealer to fix the problem at no cost to you.  At least it would be here.  It's always easy for the dealership to lay blame on the customer.  They are right in one thing though, it's not a MoCo warranty issue...they didn't cause the problem.  The fix lies solely on the dealership.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 06:02:50 PM »

As Red stated the shop or dealer that did the work is responsible for the repair. Sucks that they tried to hide the issue instead of letting you know up front. >:(

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:02:08 PM »

So sorry to hear the story of such a potentially deadly incident. I don't know about the laws where you are at ,but in the US this would certainly be a case for litigation. I hope the dealer will step up and do the right thing. If he does not I would contact Harley Davidson and press them to assist you in having the dealer make things right!
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 01:06:04 AM »

Not trying to minimize the damage done or the dealer's culpability.  And while the dealer should be responsible and liable for the repair the cost for the repair isn't enough to come out if paying for litigation for force it done.  Sucks.  But it's true.

Recognizing that; is there a simple solution.  Can't tell from the photos.  Is there enough meat left in the pan that an oversized plug would work effectively?  From my limited travel in your country something like our auto parts store didn't seem to be a common thing.  But no doubt you could order something and have it mailed in.

If there is no trust in the dealership to make the repair another only slight more involved alternative would be a helicoil type thread repair kit.  The kits come with a drill bit to make the whole a proper oversize to accept a tap.  The tap cuts new threads that themselves will accept an insert.  The insert is the size of the newly cut threads on its outside diameter and the size of the old threads on its inside diameter.

If forcing a dealership that has already proven untrusworthy to work for you again is the goal that's understandable.  Sometimes the bastards just need to be made to be accountable.  If getting back on the road is the more important mission, however, one or the other of these ideas might have you going in less than an hour of work time.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 09:55:47 AM »

Many moons ago, we had those black rubber universal drain plug fixer uppers.  Work with me here and take you mind out of the gutter.  It came with a green plastic tool, you stretched it out and then inserted it in the drain hole.  A twist of the plastic tool and the rubber plug returned to its original shape and plugged the hole.  The only down side is you need to have the plastic tool to remove the plug.  It was a cheap quick repair. 

I cannot imagine the dealer trying to blame you.  Why would you even be touching the drain plug if there wasn't a leak from the dealer's service?

In case you don't  have enough attorneys in Spain, we could send a few containers overseas and help balance the trade deficit.  What's a boatload of lawyers worth?
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Spike

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 vrscse-sold
    • CVO2: 07 flhrse
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 12:40:36 PM »

I cannot imagine the dealer trying to blame you.  Why would you even be touching the drain plug if there wasn't a leak from the dealer's service?

I can believe it. One of our dealers here loves to point the finger in any direction except at themselves. If my bike broke down right in front of that particular dealer I would just start pushing before I would take it to them So you aren't alone.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 01:31:34 PM »

I always tell people that working on a motorcycle requires attention to details, no interruptions, etc because in my opinion,
On a motorcycle, you are only two bolts away from death at any time.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 11:06:03 AM »

No words of wisdom, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you are having to go through this.  Wishing you all the best of luck in getting a resolution that you are happy with as quickly as possible.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 04:16:24 AM »

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions  ;D

I feel much better now.

Still don't know what it will be, but one sure thing is that I will repair it myself. Have already removed the rear suspension (Softail) to clear out the working area and it now depends on what arrives first, the Helicoil kit for the 1/2"-20 thread or the oversize metric tap and new metric drain plug; I prefer Helicoil, but I only have a few days left from my holidays, after which I could only carry out the repair next Christmas :-X !!!

In order to avoid any material entering the gearbox I will use grease on the drill and tap so the alloy shavings stick to them (when I was "younger" I spent 7 years as a workshop foreman for Honda UK and dealing with such issues on customers bikes), so it is no big deal.

I have hanged a few more pics on the suspension removal that might interest someone...

http://imageevent.com/wforest/youcanttrustmechanicswhereilive;jsessionid=lnl61h8s24.penguin_s

Thanks again and see you soon back on the road  :bananarock:

Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

MUFFMAN

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 FLHTUSE2
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 06:18:24 AM »

You know, its mechanics like that who give the honest ones a bad name. Just like lawyers, business owners etc, the 2 out 10 bad ones give the other 8 a bad rap. THE MUFFMAN

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 08:30:54 AM »

In case you don't  have enough attorneys in Spain, we could send a few containers overseas and help balance the trade deficit.  What's a boatload of lawyers worth?

I think the question would be how much we would have to pay Spain to take them.  I know where we could round up approximately 400 in one building in Washington D.C. that we could ship out without hurting the U.S. even a tiny bit.  Of course, that would be the end of any kind of peaceful relations with Spain.

Jerry

I think it's only fair that we pick on lawyers for awhile, since we spent a great deal of time recently picking on bean counters.  Next week we target mortgage brokers, followed by commodities traders.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2008, 05:38:13 PM »

Ok you guys, I sorted it out; at least I have my bike back on the road and now with time and plenty of pics I will contact the owner of the H-D dealership so he knows first hand all the details and how one of his workers first damaged and then covered his dirty job by not telling anyone about his fu@kup. If it had been something  that does not threaten life I could just ignore it, but sadly, my life was at stake from the moment I took the bike after the 500 mile service.
I have ended up installing a HELICOIL myself at home thanks to my experience as a bike mechanic and having the needed tools. I contacted Brad from TNT Action Sports in Quincy and in three days through FEDEX I got a repair kit for 1/2"-20 threads and my bike is back on the road  :orange: :huepfenjump3: :mango: :bananarock:

And since  : :worthless: I hereby include some pics my son took while I was battling with the beast. I actually enjoyed every bit of it and now, taking my time I will contact the dealer. It all depends on his reaction that I will either inform all the guys in the forum or the dealer will make sure that animal is no longer free to do what he likes with our bikes. It will all depend on what the dealer's reaction is.

Thanks again to all of you and just hope you don't have to go through this ordeal
 http://imageevent.com/wforest/helicoilplugthreadrepair;jsessionid=c0i4zvgiu1.zebra_s

Best Regards,
Spanish Flyer
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2008, 06:07:42 PM »

spanish flyer, i am happy you are riding again, but you yanks are too passive. you have to get some redneck in ya.

you see, you befriend the guy that screwed your bike. take him out and buy lots of beer. then take him into the alley and beat him till he convulses. take his wallet (best done on payday) and allow him to be nice enough to pay for your new transmission case.

this is what seperates America from the new world order.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2008, 06:17:36 PM »

Great job posting those pictures.  Very informative.

Thanks and good luck

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 12:43:49 AM »

Sounds like you have the satisfaction of doing the repair yourself!  Nice job...    :2vrolijk_21:

and ditto rednectum's method of revenge...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

d o g o l s

• 1K CVO Member
  • *** ride save and have fun***

• CVO1: blue Thunder FLHTCUSE-4
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE-2 black-orange-Jester
    • CVO3: 2008 FXDB black
    • Harley Fan
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 04:15:20 AM »

Great job posting the pictures  :2vrolijk_21:

thanks
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 21 queries.