Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: DAKOTA DIGITAL ANTENNA HELP!!  (Read 9702 times)

Jim Kerr

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SE Road Glide
Re: DAKOTA DIGITAL ANTENNA HELP!!
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2008, 11:11:38 PM »

The Digital Dakota's seem to be a problem for most everyone.  From what I've gathered it is partially because they are powered.  They end up over-driving the amp to the point nothing comes in.  The amp already has an fm preamp.  Secondly it is because the signal is blocked due to metal interference.  The best place to mount them is as high as possible above all metal.  Basically on the faring. 

That said, however, the best hidden antenna to use is the Tune Trapper (http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/603561.htm).  I installed one on my bike and haven't had any issues whatsoever.  I was skeptical at first, so I did a somewhat scientific test before I committed to the install.  I put the bike inside a closed garage that is under my 3-story brick & steel house and closed door.  With the factory antenna I counted every station I could receive (25).  I then installed the TT antenna.  I can pull in 27 stations with it in the exact same location.  In my particular circumstances the TT is better than the OEM external antenna.  The stations also come in clearer and stronger.  The radio is much better now. 

Here's a pic of where I mounted it on my 09 SERG.  Notice how it follows the curve of the faring.  It can be bent up to 30 degrees on each end no problem.  It can easily be mounted above everything else.  It's also completely waterproof. 

cus

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2009, 06:25:14 AM »

Hey gang - this month's American Rider advertises an internal fairing antenna from eGlideGoddies.com  Any comparison to the tune trapper?  Any experience?  Looks like a new product.

ad2

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2009, 11:01:36 AM »

I have the Deadcenter fairing with a Pioneer am/fm/satellite radio. Although I listen to xm almost exclusively, when I do switch over to fm I have a strong signal across the dial. Don't know what kind of antenna they use, but it's inside the fairing and it works.
2007 Screamin' Eagle Road King

Razor Red, Garmin 660 GPS, Passing Lights, Rear LED Run-Turn-Brake, Saddle Shields, Hard Bags, DeadCenter Fairing, XM Satelllite Stereo, Mini Beast II Air Horn, Neck Covers, C&C Fastback Seat, Wheel Dock Center Stand, Chubbys 575, 8" Recurve Shield

electra88

• LUV 2 RIDE!
  • Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:54:25 PM »

2 years later and im still messing with this antenna!!  It sucks!!  About to rip it out!!  My dad and I just did a test and used regular wire going direct to the back of the radio and whalla it worked great.  I am thinking of just using a regular wire and tape it to the inside perimeter of the faring.   Well see how it goes.

If not I will pick up a tunetrapper. 
2011 Suzuki Vstrom 650 ABS
2010 Ducati Multistrada S Sport/Touring
2008 Suzuki BKING
2006 CVO ULTRA AUTUM HAZE (traded in)

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2010, 07:43:55 PM »

Just to be different, I installed a marine glass antenna on the inside of the outer fairing on both our bikes. I don't listen to the radio much unless the Ipod dumps and Xm is intermittent (which is most of the time on back roads here in ca) but they both work fine after about 3 years. It's a 3' clear tape with embedded antenna elements attached to a 6' antenna lead. Pic below doesn't show much of the clear tape. Got ours at Marine Wherehouse

http://www.northeastmarineelectronics.com/shakespeare4353amfmantennaonglassmount.aspx

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2010, 08:36:46 PM »

I've been using this one...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110462607989&crlp=1_263602_263622&ff4=263602_263622&viewitem=&guid=2d7880891260a0266b742d64fff98525&rvr_id=&ua=WXI7&itemid=110462607989

and it seems to work fine. Since I have one TP without a antenna and one with I used a splitter to cover both applications. Most of my listening is with a MP3 though.  Doc

MKW

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 11:44:42 PM »

Don't lose hope with the whole hidden ant thing.  I had one installed when I bought the Hawg Wired amp and speakers.  I trusted my parts guy and he supplied me with one that ran 79.95 and it works well.  Sorry, but I don't know exactly which one it was but I do plan on pulling the fairing this weekend and I'll let you know then if still interested.
2010 CVO Street Glide
2014 CVO Limited
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.