Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Family of gay teen slain in Calif. blames school  (Read 1474 times)

Spoiled!

• Elite CVO Member
Family of gay teen slain in Calif. blames school
« on: August 15, 2008, 04:35:40 PM »

I am sorry this has happened but didn't the parents know that he was going to school dressed like that? If so, could they not have stopped him from doing that?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Family of gay teen slain in Calif. blames school
Allowing boy to wear makeup and feminine clothes led to death, they say
Phil Mccarten / AP file
Students gather around a makeshift memorial at E.O. Green middle school in Oxnard, Calif., honoring gay student Lawrence King, 15, who was killed by a classmate in February.

VENTURA, Calif. - The family of a gay teenager who was fatally shot in class blames the school district for allowing their son to wear makeup and feminine clothing to school — factors the family claims led to the death.

The parents and brother of 15-year-old Larry King of Oxnard filed a personal injury claim against the Hueneme school district seeking unspecified damages for not enforcing the dress code.

King, an eighth-grader at E.O. Green Junior High School, was shot in February. Classmate Brandon McInerney pleaded not guilty to the shooting last week. He was charged as an adult and also faces a charge of a committing a hate crime.

The family's claim, filed last week in Ventura County Superior Court, said administrators and teachers failed to enforce the school's dress code when King wore feminine clothing and makeup to school.

His parents, Dawn and Gregory King, said faculty members knew their son had "unique vulnerabilities" and was subject to abuse because of his sexual orientation.

A call for comment to district Superintendent Jerry Dannenberg was not immediately returned.

State law requires individuals to file a claim before proceeding with a lawsuit against a public agency.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Family of gay teen slain in Calif. blames school
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 04:39:56 PM »

Let me get this straight, the parents buy clothes for the kid and sue the school for letting him wear them?  nuf said.

By the way, at first glance I thought the author of the article was Phil McKracken (which would have been fitting, literally)
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 04:40:42 PM »

Maybe the headline should have read:

"Family of gay teen slain in Calif. blames school, and fails to look in the mirror and accept any responsibility for not knowing their son!"

You need a licence to own a dog, but anyone can have children.

screaminchickensrule

• Senior CVO Member
  • SCREAMIN CHICKENS RULE

• CVO1: 2007 SEUC ORANGE & BLACK
    • CVO2: 2006 SEUC BLACK & GREY
    • PREMIER AUTO AND CYCLE SALES
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 04:37:00 PM »

What the h@ll is that take responsibilty for your kids...
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.  ~Author Unknown

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2008, 04:55:20 PM »

I think that both are to blame.  If the parents acknowledge the fact that he is a crossdresser and buy him cloths they should have also said not at school.  The school should have called the parents and said come get him and when he can dress appropriately he can come back.  Dressing like that especially in a school can be very disruptive to the whole student body and to the school. 
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:06:41 PM »

There's always more to the story than we read but WTF?! Imagine the same family would of filed against the school if they had booted him out.

elvislee

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2008, 07:15:21 AM »

There's always more to the story than we read but WTF?! Imagine the same family would of filed against the school if they had booted him out.

Exactly! He wore the clothes and his parents surly knew what he was wearing. So if the school had followed the rules and gave Larry the boot; how long ya think it woulda took for dear ole Mom and Dad and the ACLU to file a suit against the school for not affording Larry his constitutional rights?...It sounds like a no win situation for the school...

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2008, 07:22:23 AM »

There is alot of times the child will leave the house wearing one set of clothes and then change at school or on the way to school.

elvislee

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »

There is alot of times the child will leave the house wearing one set of clothes and then change at school or on the way to school.

From reading the above news article; it seems to me this was not the case...Maybe more to the story as Screamin suggests...

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2008, 02:07:41 PM »

Is it just me or has COMMON SENSE gone out the window these days? I'm young enough to know that this was wrong on the kids part but it all falls on the PARENTS shoulders.... Not the schools or society. When are people going to wake up and smell the roses. I does not take a village to raise a child it takes parents with a backbone to raise their kids. Hey if he is gay then so be it but at that age he has to have boundaries and the parents are the one who have to enforce them. The school should have had the backbone to send him home for improper dress code. And when are we as a nation going to stand up and say enough is enough. It all boils down to putting a little faith in the man above and trying to lead a good life. Do unto others and all the other stuff. (I don't want to sound like I'm passing judgement on anyone) Common sense dictates what is right and what is wrong. All you have to do is stop and THINK!!!!!
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2008, 02:44:10 PM »

Did he deserve to die over it?
No matter who is to blame for what...did he deserve to die?
What a effin world...
Maybe those that cannot handle the things they deem freaky in life should do us a favor an off themselves.
I have no tolerance for intolerance..   :soapbox:

Ditch

• Elite CVO Member
  • SoA # 56.345 1/2

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Orange & Black
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 02:58:32 PM »

Did he deserve to die over it?
No matter who is to blame for what...did he deserve to die?

No he didn't deserve to die, no one deserves that. But for every action there is a reaction, all I'm saying is the parents, the kid and the school should have stopped and thought what reaction could we get from this action. Unfortunately know we have a headline that is very sad a family has lost a son. And another family could lose a son because of his reaction. Sad but true look into today's society.
"Lead don't follow, just don't follow me!!!"

elvislee

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 03:19:49 PM »

I went back and re-read these posts and the best I can tell; I didn't see anyone who in any way suggested this young man should have died because of his sexual preference. No matter what we think of people who choose to look, act, think, and dress differently than we might like; there is NO reason for such action of one human being to another. I suspect with a little foresight and fortitude involving all parties concerned; this might have been prevented and there would be many people much happier today...Sure, the young man who did the killing can be blamed...How about the school?...How about Larry's parents...How about Larry?...How about our society and our culture?...It goes on and on...Bottom line, there's a young man dead because of many failures by many people...And yes...It is sad.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2008, 04:57:25 PM »

Welcome to California, the land of fruits and nuts.  What ever happened to taking responsibility for your actions?  Nowadays all you ever hear is blame.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Capo

• Sicilian Moto Capo
  • 1K CVO Member
  • Yes it's fast and no you can't ride it!

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2-SOLD Begrudgingly!
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »

Maybe the headline should have read:

"Family of gay teen slain in Calif. blames school, and fails to look in the mirror and accept any responsibility for not knowing their son!"

You need a licence to own a dog, but anyone can have children.

That is a FACT!

Rinehart True Duals
Rich's Custom seat
Zippers T-Max TBW
Stage 1
Wood TW-7H cam
SE Tapered push rods
Extronics HID digital H9 High/Low
Metzler 880's 10K + on the first rear
Howard's Horns
Chrome TP Hinges
JM Antennas
Clearview recurve
Arnott Air Suspension with QA1 shocks
Traxxion AK20's
True Trac
RJ's Original V-Twin Heat shields
WA plate - FLHTSE

Lea

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 21 queries.