Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Steering Neck Bearing Grease Question  (Read 8522 times)

REGGAB

Steering Neck Bearing Grease Question
« on: December 20, 2008, 09:38:02 PM »

Recently received an order of AMSOIL Multipurpose Grease I intend to use in the Steering Necks of both bikes.  The green bike has Harley grease in it, and as far as I know, so does the purple bike.......albeit the grease in the purple bike's neck is blue......as opposed to brown (and runny) in the green bike.  I remember from my 02 Ultra that neck grease was blue during that era.
Anyway, can I squirt fresh AMSOIL grease on top of the old Harley grease in both bikes, pushing out the old grease, until the new AMSOIL grease comes out, or do I have to disassemble the steering necks, clean out the old grease and repack with new grease?  In other words, is there a compatibility challenge about which I should be concerned?

Sean M Cary

Re: Steering Neck Bearing Grease Question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 10:07:42 PM »

Recently received an order of AMSOIL Multipurpose Grease I intend to use in the Steering Necks of both bikes.  The green bike has Harley grease in it, and as far as I know, so does the purple bike.......albeit the grease in the purple bike's neck is blue......as opposed to brown (and runny) in the green bike.  I remember from my 02 Ultra that neck grease was blue during that era.
Anyway, can I squirt fresh AMSOIL grease on top of the old Harley grease in both bikes, pushing out the old grease, until the new AMSOIL grease comes out, or do I have to disassemble the steering necks, clean out the old grease and repack with new grease?  In other words, is there a compatibility challenge about which I should be concerned?

I know my father was always concerned with mixing different grease (he did hi-perf and construction lube stuff for like 2 decades), and always told me to ensure I cleaned out the old stuff or stick with the same.

Whenever I use it - I have always stuck to that principal.  Goofed one year and mixed partial syn with full syn in our RV bearings and I cooked a bearing and cracked the brake drum.  So - bears out to me at least.  Not exactly the same exposure for neck bearings, but I am sticking with the HD stuff for my 15k coming up.

YMMV

Sean

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:24:36 PM »

I know my father was always concerned with mixing different grease (he did hi-perf and construction lube stuff for like 2 decades), and always told me to ensure I cleaned out the old stuff or stick with the same.

Whenever I use it - I have always stuck to that principal.  Goofed one year and mixed partial syn with full syn in our RV bearings and I cooked a bearing and cracked the brake drum.  So - bears out to me at least.  Not exactly the same exposure for neck bearings, but I am sticking with the HD stuff for my 15k coming up.

YMMV

Sean

Thanks Sean.

What does "YMMV" mean?

Henry

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2008, 10:37:21 PM »

I stopped using the HD grease at the shop. It runs out when really hot. Switched to Bel Ray Water proof wheel bearing grease and its better. i would not worry about mixing

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2008, 10:43:40 PM »

I second that.  While it may be problematic to mix brands in a high speed bearing application, it should not be an issue in the steering head bearings.  Pump the new grease in until you flush out the old stuff and you have new grease coming out at the top and bottom.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 10:46:04 PM »

I stopped using the HD grease at the shop. It runs out when really hot. Switched to Bel Ray Water proof wheel bearing grease and its better. i would not worry about mixing

Which is why I want to switch grease in the green bike.  That brown crap is runny.

Thanks, Jim.

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 10:49:06 PM »

I second that.  While it may be problematic to mix brands in a high speed bearing application, it should not be an issue in the steering head bearings.  Pump the new grease in until you flush out the old stuff and you have new grease coming out at the top and bottom.

Jerry

Never a challenge to get grease to come out the bottom, however I've never been able to get it to come out the top............ever................on any of the bikes I've owned.  It'll spooge out the bottom all day long and never even remotely look like it is coming out of the top.   :nixweiss:

Sean M Cary

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 08:30:31 AM »

Thanks Sean.

What does "YMMV" mean?

Henry

your mileage may vary...

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2008, 08:38:43 AM »

your mileage may vary...

Oh.....OK........Thanks. 

REGGAB

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 08:42:21 AM »

so anyway........moving right along............
The other challenge is getting a grease gun fitting onto the zert on the steering neck.  Seems one would do well to replace the stock zert with a 90 or at least a 45 degree zert, so  it would be easier to get to.   :2vrolijk_21:

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 09:27:15 AM »

I agree with hd-dude and grc, belray  :2vrolijk_21:.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 09:33:40 AM »

http://www.mactools.com/Product/tabid/120/productid/318999/variantid/309758/Default.aspx

This work great, just slides on no need to change zerk fittings.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 11:49:10 AM »

http://www.mactools.com/Product/tabid/120/productid/318999/variantid/309758/Default.aspx

This work great, just slides on no need to change zerk fittings.

I have one of these, they do not work on all bikes as HD slightly varies the location of the fitting. It hits the lower tree and will not go on properly. At the shop I routinely change the fitting to a 45 or 90 degree. Less hassle.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 12:06:26 PM »

I have one of these, they do not work on all bikes as HD slightly varies the location of the fitting. It hits the lower tree and will not go on properly. At the shop I routinely change the fitting to a 45 or 90 degree. Less hassle.
And a heck of a lot cheaper. :cherry:

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 05:39:20 PM »

I often wondered why HD has never gone with a 45 instead of a straight fitting from the factory!  :zstupid:

:bananarock:

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 05:39:51 PM »

I use it on the SEEG & SEUC it works OK,  just another neat toy to have.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

REGGAB

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 06:09:09 PM »

I often wondered why HD has never gone with a 45 instead of a straight fitting from the factory!  :zstupid:

:bananarock:
$

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2009, 06:50:37 PM »

TSC or Tractor Supply has an adapter similar to the mac tools one but its more cylindrical, thus not as wide.  It cost way less too.  Sorry but its been at least 4 years since I bought it so I do not have the price or name.  Try in the store section with the grease tubes and guns.  I KNOW NO PIC EITHER!  LOL!
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2009, 09:06:19 PM »

TSC or Tractor Supply has an adapter similar to the mac tools one but its more cylindrical, thus not as wide.  It cost way less too.  Sorry but its been at least 4 years since I bought it so I do not have the price or name.  Try in the store section with the grease tubes and guns.  I KNOW NO PIC EITHER!  LOL!

Right angle grease coupler $5.49, here is the link and picture. Is this what your talking about? :2vrolijk_21:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_34121_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2009, 01:04:21 PM »

Take your headlight out and you should be able to get a straight shot at the fitting.  A bit of a hassle, but how often do you have to do it?  And it lets you clean the dust and bug debris out of the nacelle.
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

103Eagle

• Full CVO Member
  • Always Lookin fer sumtin but dunno what!
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »

Yep thats the one I use from TSC!  Sorry I did not find it for you.
2004 FLHTCSE, HD Race Tuner, D-D Performance Fat Cat Exhaust, Ghost Pipe, SE High Flow Air Cleaner, Detachable King Tour Pak, RCA Lyra MP3 player and some chrome goodies! 2009 Street Glide
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 21 queries.