Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: HD Lower gearing  (Read 7065 times)

RickC

• When I was 42, I was the answer life, the universe and everything. Now, I'm all that *and* a side of fries!
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHR Vivid Black
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust **TRADED**
    • CVO3: 2010 FXDF Vivd Black **TRADED** | 2007 FLTR Vivid Black / Red (a/k/a "Red Nipples") **TRADED** | 2005 FLTRI Black Pearl / Grey (a/k/a "The Black Pearl") **TRADED**
    • Rick Rocks On!
Re: HD Lower gearing
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 08:01:59 PM »

:ROFLOL:

Thanks! I'll be here all week...

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 10:38:14 PM »

my local HD dealer is trying to talk me into changing my gearing to the HD gear sets that drops your rpms 600-800 per gear as I am looking for better take off. I am @ 103TQ and 105HP but it is slow off the line so they suggested doing this! any comments?

Read attatched...
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/drivetraincomponents/comp-sprockets.htm

Did this install with a SE six speed..... Never regretted  :2vrolijk_21:
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Chrome O

• 2009 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 12:08:51 AM »

I did this exact change to my 99 road king.  Its called a "compensator gear" and I still have it.

This gear change will make it run at a higher rpm in top gear,,unless you go with a six speed.. I called Baker and and talked to one of their employees that had set his RK up the same way. 

The Baker rep actually set up a custom gear set so that the ratios preformed best in each gear based on the Dyno sheets and even told me which tooth to purchase on the compensator gear .  At this same time I had Zippers send me their 107 kit. It came in at (if I remember correctly) about 120 hp and about the same in TQ its on their web site. 

The only down side that I experienced was that it seemed to make a greater vibration in all gears. The up side is I was very rawly beaten at the red light races and you will even get to smoke the V-rods.

The other change you will need to make is to find a very sticky rear tire and you are going want to change the spacer on the rear wheel if possible to get a wider tire back there.  When thinking of engine mods with this tranny set up,,, because its geared lower your going to want a motor that likes higher rpms to take full advantage of that gearing. For instance my red line around 6k and  in the first, second and third gear,, these shifts would only a second or two long so you have to practice it to stay out of the rev limiter.

I just smoked the rear tire until I got a wider tire and softer compound, once that was finished, I could wheelie deep into first gear with a great hole shot, and the six speed still gave me a great top end.  OH YEAH one more thing..... expect to spend a lot on rear tires.  You will only get a few thousands miles got of them. 

Hope this helps

What ever you think   ----your right---

Admiral

• My . Ol . Lady's . A Screaming Eagle !!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • >> SILVER BULLET <<

• CVO1: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
    • CVO3: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • SJHR
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 01:15:41 AM »

I did this exact change to my 99 road king.  Its called a "compensator gear" and I still have it.

........................  You will only get a few thousands miles got of them. 
Hope this helps

I had trouble getting more than 5 or 6 thousand out of my rear tires without doing burn outs or wheelies.

Nice second post.

When you get a chance go to New Member Section tell us about your self and post some pictures of your bike

fastboatnut

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 08:22:52 AM »

Thanks all I am going to do what Chromeo did sounds like the ticket I am looking for! I am tired of my buddies that have big dogs dusting me off the line!

Chrome O

• 2009 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2009, 10:22:55 AM »

Fastabout,

You have to consider power to weight ratio the Big Dogs have a lot less weight and more power and if its like my K-9 with a three hundred rear tire its a monster hook up... I have a really tough time when I am trying to do a burn-out they are just to wide and way to sticky!!!

Have fun and really research all your moves i.e. changes and realize that when you change one thing you are going to put a lot more pressure on other parts   so you might want to think about "weak link" issues,,, mine were wire spokes so I had to go with mags.

I will go to the newbie section and bring my stuff up to date when I get a chance Admiral. Right now I am spending most of my time trying to figure out what to do with my 09 SEUC pipes, breather, cams and a software update.
But I could not pass up the chance to offer my experience with a fellow rider.  I have to be honest here I did give up hot roding my harley and just bought the K-9 for the red light wars,,,  but I don't ride that bike much any more.

Let me know if I can help further.

Look forward to hearing how it goes.
What ever you think   ----your right---

Supershooter

• Elite CVO Member
  • First Ride 03 FXDWG

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-sold
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 10:01:29 PM »

Chrome O, have you changed and gearing on your SEUC?
Supershooter
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 22 queries.