Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: "I tried Hard to like the Harley CVO but just could not do it!  (Read 6869 times)

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
Re: "I tried Hard to like the Harley CVO but just could not do it!
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 10:35:44 AM »

That really sucks, at least you know which direction to head now, good luck!!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 10:43:14 AM »

Not knocking your choice -- just a general comment/observation.  To me the Goldwing experience is more like a Lexus.  Very smooth, comfortable, and refined.  A Harley isn't like any automobile made today.  It's more like an older muscle car built with some modern amenities.  Those muscle cars weren't really that fast when compared with modern standards.  And they didn't handle all that well either.  But, if you've driven one upgraded muscle car after the other for the past 40 years you'd be very impressed with today's version. 

So how does one justify driving an updated muscle car when so many other vehicles are out there offering more comfort, better handling, and more overall refined power?  You don't.  There is no comparison.  Same goes for a Harley.  It's more about WHAT you are riding, and how it feels.  It is a bit coarse, and loud, and unrefined.  And it's bulky, like a '57 Chevy.  Lots of big chrome to polish.  And that is EXACTLY what I'm after. 

Good luck with your Goldwing.  Ride safe whatever your choice.

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 11:19:45 AM »

Good luck with the sale and the new WING.

I made a swich from a HD Heritage Classic to the Ruby 09 SEUC and have been training myself on the difference in ride style. I am just now getting more comfortable at the 1000 mile mark. Giving up at 450 for me would have been too soon.

Keep riding...

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 11:39:53 AM »

I have a really good friend that had a Wing several years ago.  He was nice enough to give it to me for several extended sessions, so I rode it alot.  I also serviced it, doing a 10k and a 15k mile service.  Yes I did ride it!  Really nice, but I felt like I was in a recliner going down the road.  I didn't feel connected with the experience.  Man, it rode better, ddin't tire me out any where near as much, got better fuel milage and flat out ran away from most anything I rode with.  It was like a Rolls Royce.  And I might as well have had a damn chauffuer.  Someday I may need to go to a wing because it's tons easier to handle for an old geezer, with the significantly lower center of gravity and such.  But until then, I'll keep my knees in the breeze.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

NETacoma03Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 11:42:43 AM »

I came from a 1980 GSX750 + 78 Honda 400F.  Bought my 1st Fatboy and and was WTF.  The bike vibrated & cornered like crap.  But after 7 years of owning Harleys, I would not change to anything else.  I think you did not give it enough time.  And you will have to understand that a HD is not a rocket peg grinder.  You learn to modify the machine to your liking and you learn to love the rumbler.  They do not corner well but that could save your life in the end as you pay so much more attention to your riding.

just my thoughts.

tennisman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: '08 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: '96 Heritage Softail Classic
    • CVO3: '14 Indian Chief Vintage
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 03:33:49 PM »

Based on the title of this thread, I say: Who cares???

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 06:06:57 PM »

We Do! It is not just a web site, we meet each other, ride, dine, and have true feelings of friendship. Sorry you don't agree, but some of us do care.  Dave

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2009, 09:47:04 PM »

I had the chance to own several harleys a custom bike and a goldwing.Jut sold the wing recently and bought seroadglide.Thats the bike you shouldve get because i rode ultras but road glide and goldwing are similar rides on the other hand an ultra is another beast.I prefer the road glide over goldwing. :drink:
Ridin Legend

Bigderek

• Big Derek

• CVO1: Harley Davidson CVO Ultra Classic FLHTCUSE4 Electra Glide
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2009, 02:23:28 AM »

We Do! It is not just a web site, we meet each other, ride, dine, and have true feelings of friendship. Sorry you don't agree, but some of us do care.  Dave

Hello I never made my heading as a fight statement or to be  little anything about Harley's, so th comment about "Who Cares" is not very apt to a brothers in arms from the UK in fact it's just childish! Anyway just to throw some interesting light on this Goldwing Harley thing! Over here in the UK we have many Harley riders and some go out riding as we did last week with Goldwing owners. The point I was making is that after having 1 x GL1500 1998 then 7 GL1800 Goldwings and covering some 100,000miles touring Europe it was never going to be a smooth transition from wing to Ultra Glide, But Hey I paid my money and gave it a go!

The Goldwing has so manner benefits for myself, Better Handling, more rider and passenger room including comfort,better suspension, as it does have some on the rear! more storage and pannier space, less heat up your legs , no exhaust burns on your right leg! less vibration, and overhall more refined.........But that don't mean to say I don,t like Harley's cos I do but for the job I am asking it to do and at my time in life the CVO Ultra just did not do it. And yes a new GL1800 my sound like one chap called a economy car? But hey let me say when the boxster 6 cyld engine is on song she sounds sweet.

All in all its just about biking I love my 2 wheels I have a  BMW GSA which as I type this I have my draggin jeans and my slightly melted new USA Cruiser boots (burnt on exhaust last week on Harley! ready to go out with our local IAM club for a ride , just in time for my new Wing being delivered.

"Ruby" Bless her is in the St Leger show room at Doncaster awaiting someone to buy her!

So please don't label me as Mr Complainer or Harley Hater cos I ain't

Have Fun "be happy"

Big D
Big D
UK

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2009, 07:27:27 AM »

I've sat quiet long enough, you ride Honda, I ride a Harley-Davidson. does that make you or me different, no. But, you are NOT a brother in arms as you call it. I do not wave at you, though I will share my feelings at a gas station with you. H-D is much more than a Motorcycle. It's a life-style. Little kids dream of owning a H-D, girls go ga ga over H-D.
"trying hard to like something", I think I said that to a redhead once.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

ironhorse432

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2009, 08:28:11 AM »

420 miles isn't verry much..........Just sayin

Wrongway

• Stop Following Me!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • What A Beautiful Mess I'm In......
    • CA

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE Burgundy Blaze/Typhoon Maroon aka Mongo
    • CVO2: Gone:2005 FLHTCSE2 Cherry, Teal, 2006 FLHTCUSE Crimson
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:59 AM »

I've sat quiet long enough, you ride Honda, I ride a Harley-Davidson. does that make you or me different, no. But, you are NOT a brother in arms as you call it. I do not wave at you, though I will share my feelings at a gas station with you. H-D is much more than a Motorcycle. It's a life-style. Little kids dream of owning a H-D, girls go ga ga over H-D.

That's not fair, I am that Red Headed Stepchild you always hear about!
 True, the Harley experience is a lifestyle, but we all love the same things. Freedom! Doing what WE want. Riding what WE want. No bashing here, I enjoy the company of a good person no matter what he/she rides, as long as they are good to be with and enjoy the freedom of the road ahead. And I will wave to you!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 10:09:22 AM by Wrongway »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2009, 09:44:06 AM »

What other ad campaigns are you going to quote? 

Not a brother in arms, won't wave at you (because you dare to ride a different brand), etc.  Well, all I can say to those with your attitude is I would appreciate it if you didn't wave at me either, even though I do ride the same brand.  Intolerance based on silly crap is still intolerance, and I prefer riding with a kid on a Vespa to riding with a snob who thinks he's better than someone else because of the brand of vehicle he rides. 

It's all about being on two wheels with the wind in your face, not the name on the side of the tank.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Mrs Rooster

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rooster May Crow But The Hen Delivers The Goods!!
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2009, 10:01:41 AM »

What other ad campaigns are you going to quote? 

Not a brother in arms, won't wave at you (because you dare to ride a different brand), etc.  Well, all I can say to those with your attitude is I would appreciate it if you didn't wave at me either, even though I do ride the same brand.  Intolerance based on silly crap is still intolerance, and I prefer riding with a kid on a Vespa to riding with a snob who thinks he's better than someone else because of the brand of vehicle he rides. 

It's all about being on two wheels with the wind in your face, not the name on the side of the tank.

Jerry

I agree with you. We always wave at everyone.
On a trip, one day we were going down the road went by a group of CMC on harleys and wings waved when we went by. a few miles down the road our friends bike crapped out so to the side of the road we go. Guess who stopped to help, the guy on the WING. Helped our friend get his bike back up and running. Spent over a hour on the side of the road with us wrenching on a harley. Guess what we ended up at the same event.

We are never lost sometimes it just takes longer to get there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2009, 11:46:07 AM »

Having tried to like my CVO I have today asked the dealer to sell it

The bike has only covered 420 miles but you just know it aint going to work out.

Just noticed this thread.  Only 420 miles is not "trying hard" to get familiar with a new bike.  Barely enough time to get the seat, bars and screen adjusted/replaced well to match the bike to the rider.

If someone just doesn't like a bike that's fine.  But there's not much patting on the back for good effort to be done when the entire effort at familiarity is barely more than two tanks of gas.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.829 seconds with 21 queries.