Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ruff idle or heat manage system  (Read 1037 times)

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
Ruff idle or heat manage system
« on: June 20, 2009, 08:12:44 PM »

:nixweiss: 71 degree day in NYC, third time I'm riding my 09 CVO if you don't NYC is raining so much Noah is taking command if the Intrepid. So I head out today stop and go riding, everytime I stop sounds like it about to cut out.When I stop it sound like one cylinder, either way it's not hot and the HMS is kicking in. what's going to happen in August? :nixweiss:
Is this normal?

Trey

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: Ruff idle or heat manage system
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:00:14 PM »

:nixweiss: 71 degree day in NYC, third time I'm riding my 09 CVO if you don't NYC is raining so much Noah is taking command if the Intrepid. So I head out today stop and go riding, everytime I stop sounds like it about to cut out.When I stop it sound like one cylinder, either way it's not hot and the HMS is kicking in. what's going to happen in August? :nixweiss:
Is this normal?

Trey

Your owner's manual will explain it somewhat, but, from what I remember:

stage 1: AFR enrichment when.....
                a) engine temp>142 c
                b) RPM<1200

stage 2: Skip fire on rear cylinder when stage 1 is active, AND..........
                a) engine temp>155 c
                b) vehicle speep<2mph

I think maybe someone will correct my feeble memory if this is incorrect! LOL

HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »

I've read many reports similar to yours, where the system kicks in at what people believe are ridiculously low temperatures.  It has led me to believe that H-D went a little overboard when they set the operating parameters, to try to head off the high heat complaints they knew they were going to get with the larger engines and leaner EPA legal fuel settings.  I'm not aware of a way for the dealer to change the temperature setting where the system kicks in, but it may be worth asking the question.

If you want to determine if your's is working as designed, it will require a little detective work.  The system responds to the engine temperature signal from the sensor mounted in the left rear of the front cylinder head.  The first bit of detective work involves monitoring the head temp while the bike idles until the system kills the rear cylinder, and then comparing the temperature with the specs for the EITMS.  It would also be helpful to verify that the sensor in the head is actually accurate.  If one has the proper equipment it should be a piece of cake to verify the system is operating properly.  Good luck finding a dealership to do this for you, however.

Probably the best advice for those who don't like this system is to turn it off, which the rider can do himself following the instructions in the owner's manual.  If you worry about excessive rear cylinder temperatures if you turn it off, get the bike tuned.  There are several threads on the site concerning changes to the exhaust system and tuning that help reduce temps.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trey767

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:57:29 AM »

Thanks for the info

For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Hogtunes Front/Rear speakers
Fullsac 2.5 cores
J&M 250 Amp
Hawg Wired 6.5 lowers
Ride Time LED lights
Dakota digital dash gauges
Saddlebag extensions
Clearview windshield/vent
BigSky oil cooler fan
HD rear Envelope LED's
Zumo 665

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 20 queries.