Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Pipes for my Tequilla Sunrise SESG..totally confused  (Read 28531 times)

mrwclark

Pipes for my Tequilla Sunrise SESG..totally confused
« on: October 26, 2009, 03:51:40 PM »

The more people i speak with, the more confused i become. I came from a 2004 fatboy with an 88 motor. So Power is really not a big concern of mine. i DO NOT like the sound of the stock pipes. i spoke with Bumpus HArley and they gave me a quote of $1,700 for V&H Power duals, Slip-Ons, SERT, 5 hours labor with Dyno and promised this bike would run and sound Outrageous. i have a few questions...
1. Can i just do slip ons and achieve great sound?
2. Must the CAt be removed to achieve the sound?
3. if i do just slip ons, will i need SERT?
4. will the SERT cool the bike down?
5. Anyone using Fullsac with or without Cat?
6. Can the stock baffles be removed or modified?
7. if so, will i need the SERT?

As you can tell, i'm not a techie when it comes to bikes. i just like them to LOOK & SOUND good. :-)

DABB

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spicy
    • CVO2: Waiting for a yellow Ultra
Re: Pipes for my Tequilla Sunrise SESG..totally confused
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 06:24:32 PM »

I will be awaiting these answers almost as anxoiusly as I await my 2010 SESG!  I want it as loud as possible!!!
I am a man of simple tastes, easily satisfied with the best.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »

I will be awaiting these answers almost as anxoiusly as I await my 2010 SESG!  I want it as loud as possible!!!

You want Thunderheader.  And now they make it with a false left side so that you can keep the dual look.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 06:32:20 PM »

The more people i speak with, the more confused i become. I came from a 2004 fatboy with an 88 motor. So Power is really not a big concern of mine. i DO NOT like the sound of the stock pipes. i spoke with Bumpus HArley and they gave me a quote of $1,700 for V&H Power duals, Slip-Ons, SERT, 5 hours labor with Dyno and promised this bike would run and sound Outrageous. i have a few questions...
1. Can i just do slip ons and achieve great sound?  I don't know about "great" but a good sound.
2. Must the CAt be removed to achieve the sound?  No
3. if i do just slip ons, will i need SERT?  There are several tuners that you can use, the SERT is just one of them.  You don't need a tuner if you don't change the air cleaner and will not do any other performance mods of any kind (not even an air cleaner)
4. will the SERT cool the bike down?  Tuners will provide more fuel, thereby elliminating the lean factor of a stock bike......yes.
5. Anyone using Fullsac with or without Cat?   a number of the 09 and 10 owners are.
6. Can the stock baffles be removed or modified?  yes.....Steve at fullsac will do that for you if you can't find anybody local to do it.
7. if so, will i need the SERT?   Answered above......anytime you do a performance mods you'll need some way to tune it to those particular mods

As you can tell, i'm not a techie when it comes to bikes. i just like them to LOOK & SOUND good. :-)

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:07:06 PM »

I put Cobra 4" slip ons and had to take the fiberglass packing from around the baffles out to get osme more sound out of them. They are pretty free flowing, so I think the cat must be restricting the sound as well. I guess I will find out when V&H comes out with the Power Dual for the 2010.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »

You want Thunderheader.  And now they make it with a false left side so that you can keep the dual look.

From the website, it looks like Thunderheader make true duals.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 07:46:33 PM »

I put Cobra 4" slip ons and had to take the fiberglass packing from around the baffles out to get osme more sound out of them. They are pretty free flowing, so I think the cat must be restricting the sound as well. I guess I will find out when V&H comes out with the Power Dual for the 2010.

To some degree, yes.  If you're after loud just for the sake of loud.....run staright pipes.  You don't have to remove the cat to make the bike louder than a stock bike.  So it all comes down to preference. 

I ran Thunderheader for years.  Not for noise but for the performance......the sound was a cool side benefit.  Now that I'm older and have a hard time hering some tones, I think it's due to all those years of Thunderheader. :nixweiss:  Now, I want quiet as possible but still want the performance. :)

The V&H power duals are supposed to be out in a couple of weeks.

West Coast GTG   

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 07:53:32 PM »

Ran straight pipes for years. Sorta miss them in a way, but times change. Still want some good sound, but you do lose some bottom end with the straight pipes, so I am compromising---a little less noise for some additonal power. The Cobra's by themselves sound OK, but not there yet--I think removing the cat will make up the difference. We will see in a few weeks--and of course when I get my bike back!!

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 08:22:48 PM »

Be carefull about the info you get on this site. It is good sometimes and not so good others. Call Steve @ Fullsac, Call Short Block Charlie, Wes @ Cyclerama etc. Get opinions from folks that do the work and then sift thru that, Fullsac has actually worked on the bikes, SBC is very smart on HD's etc. Lots of the guys on here couldn't change a baffle, much less even understand how a TTS or SERT even work but will make recommendations of what to do. But some of the others are very knowledgeable. Good Luck!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 08:36:15 PM »

Be carefull about the info you get on this site. It is good sometimes and not so good others. Call Steve @ Fullsac, Call Short Block Charlie, Wes @ Cyclerama etc. Get opinions from folks that do the work and then sift thru that, Fullsac has actually worked on the bikes, SBC is very smart on HD's etc. Lots of the guys on here couldn't change a baffle, much less even understand how a TTS or SERT even work but will make recommendations of what to do. But some of the others are very knowledgeable. Good Luck!

I couldn't tell who you mean..but generally the folks on this site that don't know don't post or will say that it is just their opinion.......There are plenty of people that do their own work and post about the experiences they have had. When it comes to the sound of a bike--how loud or quiet it is--unfortunately it is ALWAYS an opinion since everybody is different.

Calling Steve at Fullsac is always a good idea, but again his baffles are not loud enough for some people and too loud for others. The bike will absolutely run right with his setup and there are many people on this forum that know this first hand.

MOBlue

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2009, 09:03:20 PM »

:vrolijk_11:

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2009, 11:35:37 PM »

I couldn't tell who you mean..but generally the folks on this site that don't know don't post or will say that it is just their opinion.......There are plenty of people that do their own work and post about the experiences they have had. When it comes to the sound of a bike--how loud or quiet it is--unfortunately it is ALWAYS an opinion since everybody is different.

Calling Steve at Fullsac is always a good idea, but again his baffles are not loud enough for some people and too loud for others. The bike will absolutely run right with his setup and there are many people on this forum that know this first hand.

Valid points through and through. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

mrwclark

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 12:28:28 AM »

Wow! i heard a 09 SERG with the V&H power duals and and slip ons...very awesome deep rumble that i'm looking for. I definitely do not want the straight pipes. i guess to do it right, i'll wait on the Power Duals and go ahead with the entire setup including SERT & dyno time. i think i will be glad i did in the long run! THANKS very much for all your advice and opinions!

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 07:04:53 AM »

Wow! i heard a 09 SERG with the V&H power duals and and slip ons...very awesome deep rumble that i'm looking for. I definitely do not want the straight pipes. i guess to do it right, i'll wait on the Power Duals and go ahead with the entire setup including SERT & dyno time. i think i will be glad i did in the long run! THANKS very much for all your advice and opinions!

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

grinner

• Happy Idiot
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: No CVO's At Present
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 02:48:47 PM »

I just did the SE Fatshotz slip-ons on my '10 SESG and they sound great! Good low rumble at idle, great volume when throttling up, and good low growl at cruising speed.  They don't compete with my radio, and I can still communicate with other riders if needed without screaming.  I played loud music all my life and lost some hearing due to both low and high frequencies.  At 51 and climbing I need all I can get when it comes to hearing...........

They look pretty awesome too!  I have installation pics posted here:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=41742.30
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 02:52:12 PM by grinner »
1988 Honda Hurricane
2007 Aprilia Tuono 1000R
2008 Aprilia RSVr (track)
2008 Honda GL1800
2009 Aprilia Tuono 1000R (track)
2009 Aprilia RSVR
2011 BMW G650GS (dual)
2012 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC (Screamer)
2012 HD XR1200x Sportster
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.