Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Author Topic: First paint chip....Ughhhh  (Read 17646 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
First paint chip....Ughhhh
« on: November 29, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »

Nice chip taken out of the TS paint right above the beer can on the right side. Actually what ever hit the SG made two chips right next to each other. The chips are down to the primer.

I found out quickly that the TS paint is hard but thin and will chip easily. Even my thumb nail made one of the rock chips larger simply by rubbing across it to remove a high spot. Of course the impact may have loosened it and I was the catalyst that simply removed the loosened chip.

I did buy the touch paint kit a few weeks ago. Part # 94735 (about 40 bucks). There are two bottles. 1/2 oz of Scarlet Red Basecoat and 1/2 oz of Gold Pearl Topcoat. I also have some 3000 wet paper, rubbing and polishing compound.

I've never been that great at touch up. Any hints or suggestions that will make this blend better? All comments are welcome.

A recap of my adventures starts with post 78 on page 6, enjoy!

« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 12:34:22 PM by Mr. Wizard »

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Re: First paint chip....Ughhhh
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 11:32:49 AM »

Just leave it.
Touching just may make it stand out more.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

8 U UP

• Full CVO Member
  • Eat'in em up every chance I get!

• CVO1: 09 SE ROAD GLIDE O/B
    • CVO2: 02 SUPERCHARGED HD F-150 BLACK
    • CVO3: 08 Z51 CORVETTE CONVERTIBLE ATOMIC ORANGE
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »

You need 3-M Scotchgard paint protection film. I had the following areas done on my 09' cvo serg.
Front fender, front of fairing, top of lids of bags, and front lower part of bags. 380.00 installed.
Google it and find a dealer near you. My installer had the software for the cutouts. I think its a must for these paint jobs.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 01:39:14 PM »

as far as doing the touch up, the paint in those kits is just that, paint. you'll never get it to go away. make sure you shake the paint real well, clean the area with some isopropyl alchohol, let dry. the name touch up is what it is, get a little paint on the tip and start dapping , or touching the spot till color is even. better to build a couple layers than 1 big one. add the second color, but this you need to do in one coat. when it is dry, feel it for high spots, if it feels good, use some clear nail polish to seal it. make sure you feather it in. not perfect way to do it, but if you take your time, no one will know.
except all of us of course :huepfenlol2:
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 02:09:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry but I can't let the paint chip go. It's just not in me to do so and the 3M stuff is grand. I would like to put it on the fenders of my Trike and will look at putting on the Glide but for now there is this aggravating set of chips.

I've done somewhat Larry has suggested and have started. Using a toothpick I applied the first coat and I did the second coat last night. Was very careful to simply fill the chip holes. As it dries the paint tends to sink in the center anyway. Next I will wet an emery board and lightly rub the paint high spots around the chips and clean with an alcohol swab again.

My thoughts are to get the base coat in first then mix the base coat and the topcoat for the final application. I will test this first on a piece of metal to see how it blends and dries. If it separates then I will do one at a time. If this works I will top off with clearcoat to blend in the surrounding areas and polish out.

More later. Sorry I can't take pictures of this as I go along, the camera just won't pick up this type of close up shot.

Thanks again for your replies. If you see I am doing something wrong please chime in.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 02:11:34 PM by reksul »

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 03:10:21 PM »

I found out quickly that the TS paint is hard but thin and will chip easily. Even my thumb nail made one of the rock chips larger simply by rubbing across it to remove a high spot. Of course the impact may have loosened it and I was the catalyst that simply removed the loosened chip.

Dunno but that sounds like a bad paint job to me ... doesn't sound like the paint bonded to the primer properly.   :nixweiss:

Good luck with the patch job!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »

Reksul-

Sounds like you know what you are doing.  The toothpick can work well on some surfaces better than others.  Never been brave enough to do the wetsanding.  Already bought the touch up paint for the citrus also-will need it sooner or later.
I know the 05 cherries had really soft paint and chipped easily.  Hope ours is better in that respect.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 08:00:41 AM »

Dunno but that sounds like a bad paint job to me ... doesn't sound like the paint bonded to the primer properly.   :nixweiss:

Good luck with the patch job!
get used to it, another harleyism
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 09:10:34 AM »

Follow up with my "get used to it"...  HA!   ;D

I took a small drop of both bottles last night and mixed them on a piece of unfinished metal. Good news, no separation in the two and no puddling. Looks like this may be the next application.

However, I did take a bright light and shine it at different angles on the chip marks and it seems one chip still has raised edges which may be in indication of more loose paint. Oh man, I hope not. Hoping to continue to fill it in a little more before smoothing the high spots.

I know this thread is growing to the absurd but I'm really just taking my time with the fix and hoping this may help someone else in the future. There will be more chips to cover as we ride... Yes, just another harleyism

Will continue the saga later today.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:37:44 AM »

Try this for the areas you want to protect:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=42620.0

It's better than the 3M film. Have the 3M film on my car so not dissing it. It's just that these guys specialize in bikes and I know this works extremely well because I have it on my scoot. See posts 251-253 on this thread:

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=27725.30

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 09:49:32 AM »

Follow up with my "get used to it"...  HA!   ;D

I took a small drop of both bottles last night and mixed them on a piece of unfinished metal. Good news, no separation in the two and no puddling. Looks like this may be the next application.

However, I did take a bright light and shine it at different angles on the chip marks and it seems one chip still has raised edges which may be in indication of more loose paint. Oh man, I hope not. Hoping to continue to fill it in a little more before smoothing the high spots.

I know this thread is growing to the absurd but I'm really just taking my time with the fix and hoping this may help someone else in the future. There will be more chips to cover as we ride... Yes, just another harleyism

Will continue the saga later today.

I am interested in knowing how this turns out...keep on posting as reults are made.
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 11:01:27 AM »

Me too. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »

OK, cool... let's see if I can do a Hero rather than a Zero on this fix then. I'll do my best.

Here is an update. Remember above when I posted this?  I took a small drop of both bottles last night and mixed them on a piece of unfinished metal. Good news, no separation in the two and no puddling. Looks like this may be the next application.  Don't do it!

I went out there and matched the mixture to the bike. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but mixing the two creates a problem. No, it doesn't separate and blends pretty good but what it does do is diminish the base coat pigmentation. So, its a different color! Don't do it! Lesson learned and I'm very glad I didn't put it on the paint chips.

Today... I took some 3000 wet/dry paper and cut a piece about 1/4" wide by 3" long. I did this as to minimize the sanded area. I had a #2 pencil in the shop and put the 3000 paper on the end of the eraser by holding the paper and the pencil with my thumb and index finger. This holds the paper on the eraser so I can control the sand.

After wetting the paper I lightly rubbed across using up and down motion then side to side to smooth the high spots and finished up with light circular motions. The sanded area is now the size of Lima bean. Not to worry though, the light sanding area can be brought back to a fine finish with rubbing and polishing compound later.

Again using the basecoat only I used the brush to apply and fill in the low spots and finished with a toothpick. The toothpick is only for smoothing the paint out with a rolling motion and making sure you have coverage where you need it. A brush is more of a bull in a china shop for applying. (for those who have never used this method)

Waiting on this coat to dry. Next step will be to inspect this coat after drying and hopefully apply the pearl topcoat with the gold flake.

Hang on to your seats boys and girls.

Invisible68

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »

OK, cool... let's see if I can do a Hero rather than a Zero on this fix then. I'll do my best.

Here is an update. Remember above when I posted this?  I took a small drop of both bottles last night and mixed them on a piece of unfinished metal. Good news, no separation in the two and no puddling. Looks like this may be the next application.  Don't do it!

I went out there and matched the mixture to the bike. I don't know why I didn't think of this before but mixing the two creates a problem. No, it doesn't separate and blends pretty good but what it does do is diminish the base coat pigmentation. So, its a different color! Don't do it! Lesson learned and I'm very glad I didn't put it on the paint chips.

Today... I took some 3000 wet/dry paper and cut a piece about 1/4" wide by 3" long. I did this as to minimize the sanded area. I had a #2 pencil in the shop and put the 3000 paper on the end of the eraser by holding the paper and the pencil with my thumb and index finger. This holds the paper on the eraser so I can control the sand.

After wetting the paper I lightly rubbed across using up and down motion then side to side to smooth the high spots and finished up with light circular motions. The sanded area is now the size of Lima bean. Not to worry though, the light sanding area can be brought back to a fine finish with rubbing and polishing compound later.

Again using the basecoat only I used the brush to apply and fill in the low spots and finished with a toothpick. The toothpick is only for smoothing the paint out with a rolling motion and making sure you have coverage where you need it. A brush is more of a bull in a china shop for applying. (for those who have never used this method)

Waiting on this coat to dry. Next step will be to inspect this coat after drying and hopefully apply the pearl topcoat with the gold flake.

Hang on to your seats boys and girls.

:
great write up..... but
worthless: :worthless:

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »

Sorry Sir

Like I said above, my camera is just OK. It's hard to get a clear close up shot under three feet and get the light just right.

I will try again but.... ughhhhh   :nervous:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.