Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Author Topic: First paint chip....Ughhhh  (Read 17709 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
Re: First paint chip....Ughhhh
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 01:08:27 PM »

OK, got another camera and did the best I could. Held a flashlight at a different angle to set it off.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 01:16:06 PM »

For the life of me  I can't see it.........   :nixweiss:
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 01:23:43 PM »

For the life of me  I can't see it.........   :nixweiss:

Two spots dead in the middle of the above shot. I can see it clearly but my monitor may show it better.

Copy the shot to your desktop and view it then enlarge the center.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 01:46:17 PM »

Looking good so far.

Keep in mind that base + top coats require finesse to get right. In the case of Pearl, Pearl is added in specific coats to match other pieces. It is NOT a one-for-one relationship for top-coat technique. This applies to other base + top systems as well.  Good news is that base coat is base coat - full saturation of base coat doesn't hurt anything. Apply as light a coat as possible of the top coat, then keep adding light coats until it matches. If the top coat goes on too thick, it's too late.

My input only - gotta say you are MUCH more patience than I for this!!
Good luck!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 01:52:32 PM »

Two spots dead in the middle of the above shot. I can see it clearly but my monitor may show it better.

Copy the shot to your desktop and view it then enlarge the center.

Got it, so far so good. That is after scuffing correct?
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »

Repair looks kind of like Howie with sunglasses.     :cherry:

Sadly, I also see that the SESG doesn't get chrome torx screws for the turnsignal brackets either.    :-\

Luckily, my dealer had some chrome bolts/washers.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 01:59:32 PM »

Repair looks kind of like Howie with sunglasses.     :cherry:

Sadly, I also see that the SESG doesn't get chrome torx screws for the turnsignal brackets either.    :-\

Luckily, my dealer had some chrome bolts/washers.

Damm, I had to buy mine.

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 02:25:06 PM »

Got it, so far so good. That is after scuffing correct?

I'm in no way an expert at doing this, patient... yes unless my fuse get's lit. I've been dead once and soon will be on my third pacemaker so I have a different way of looking at things now than before.

Howey? Yep, I was thinking more a Willy G ghost. :D

Is the scuffing correct? Not sure my friend but as long as it's light scuffing it can be cleaned up with compound, yes?. It will also allow a better bonding action to the coats being applied in my opinion.  So, with that said... chime in and direct me another way to contemplate please....  Opps sorry, misread, yes it is after the scuffing.

I'm working in the base coat with very light applications and allowing 24 or more hours before doing anything else in a heat controlled environment. My thought process says to cover the loss of paint with base coat first to cover the sharp edges of the remaining paint around the chip. High spots can be smoothed before the application of the top coat. I'm on my third coat of base and feel that will be sufficient.

Next step will be to smooth again with 3000 paper, clean and apply the top coat on the chip and work it around the outside areas of each chip thus making the work space a little larger. I will do this to blend in the new and old for a smooth topical finish. However, the top coat will not be the final coat. I do have clear coat to apply and will use my test board with the mixed paint already on it to make sure the clear coat will be accepted properly.

When applying the clear coat I will again make the work space a little larger, let dry then compound everything out glassy smooth. Well, let's hope it works out that way.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 02:26:46 PM by reksul aka: Mr. Wizard »

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »

I am just sitting back admiring the work, I have no direction to give.

Looks to me like you have a handle on it....... :2vrolijk_21:

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 03:37:11 PM »

Damm, I had to buy mine.

No Dick, it was another $10 or so.    :soapbox:

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

No Dick, it was another $10 or so.    :soapbox:

Now look at the passenger floorboard Hex's they look like crap too.  :(

tjstreetglide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010flhxse
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 09:32:06 PM »

Nice chip taken out of the TS paint right above the beer can on the right side. Actually what ever hit the SG made two chips right next to each other. The chips are down to the primer.

I found out quickly that the TS paint is hard but thin and will chip easily. Even my thumb nail made one of the rock chips larger simply by rubbing across it to remove a high spot. Of course the impact may have loosened it and I was the catalyst that simply removed the loosened chip.

I did buy the touch paint kit a few weeks ago. Part # 94735 (about 40 bucks). There are two bottles. 1/2 oz of Scarlet Red Basecoat and 1/2 oz of Gold Pearl Topcoat. I also have some 3000 wet paper, rubbing and polishing compound.

I've never been that great at touch up. Any hints or suggestions that will make this blend better? All comments are welcome.

I purchased my "paint kit" from my stealer last weekend, All  I got was the spiced rum, no gold. I thought that was a strange kit?
Ill be going back to Renton  to get my other bottle. probably throw a fit, seems to be the only way I get things done right. Gotta change dealers. I wish I would not have bought the prepaid maintenance from them. They will not get my biz other than that anymore.
TJ

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 05:10:23 AM »

I purchased my "paint kit" from my stealer last weekend, All  I got was the spiced rum, no gold. I thought that was a strange kit?

The "gold" is not paint, it is gold leaf. Probably impossible to match with touch-up. They DO make "gold leafing paint" that you can buy at very good craft stores - but it would probably look like chit if the gold leaf ever needed to be repaired.

The Spiced Rum kit probably just contains the base + top coat of the Spiced Rum color ... yah?
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 04:56:44 PM »

Today's update...

With three base coat applications I decided to smooth out the high spots and apply the first coat of top coat.

Using the same sanding method as I have used above worked well and looked very good. I then started the top coat. Man, that was a HUGE mistake.

The pearl and gold flakes sure are pretty but it melted the base coat back down to the black primer and lightened up the base coat that was left in the rock chip area. It's so hot it melted the base coat which turned a lighter color.

OK, what did I do wrong?

I had to get it off quickly so I removed it with paint thinner and thank goodness it cleaned off. I"ll have to start over again but does anyone know the cause? Best guess?? Ask questions even if you think they are stupid you may hit on something. And, no, I'm not taking it to a paint shop..  LOL

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 05:07:37 PM »

Today's update...

With three base coat applications I decided to smooth out the high spots and apply the first coat of top coat.

It's so hot it melted the base coat which turned a lighter color.

OK, what did I do wrong?

Best guess?? Ask questions even if you think they are stupid you may hit on something. And, no, I'm not taking it to a paint shop..  LOL

Best guess would be Chemical reaction, especially if you said it was so hot.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.