Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gerbing Controller with Powerlet plugs  (Read 1333 times)

artcarp121

Gerbing Controller with Powerlet plugs
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:25:37 PM »

Has anyone replaced the power cord plug end with a Powerlet plug system on a duel Gerbing controller without any problems? I installed a Powerlet socket and plug system to eliminate hanging wires. I cut off the stock Gerbing power end and replaced it with a Powerlet right angle plug, then it all began. First it blew a fuse,then the indicator lights on the controller went out,  then the heated gear would only run wide open with no control, then nothing. I checked polarity on the wires, checked for bare wires, everything was ok. I bought a new controller, hooked it back up with a Gerbing battery harness, now everything's working again. On the controller package it says not to replace the ends. Is there maybe a resistor of some type in there? I know Powerlet makes an adaptor to go from Powerlet to coax but I would like to have a right angle plug and they have a straight on the adaptor. My power plug is on the midframe heat deflector and a straight plug would hit my leg when I put my feet down. I don't want to keep making $100 trial and errors replacing controllers. :'(

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Gerbing Controller with Powerlet plugs
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 03:36:38 AM »

I've got Powerlet plugs on both bikes.  Used the adapters they offer to convert the Gerbings to the BMW type plug.  Never even considered cutting the end since they offered the simple adapter. 

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.