Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch freeplay  (Read 1109 times)

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
Clutch freeplay
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »

A long story, but I just got my SESG back from the 1000 mile service after a long delay at the shop. Ice on the roads so they trailered it to my house and I didn't get to ride it home.

There is NO freeplay in the clutch. Neutral is almost impossible to find. Is there a relatively easy way to adjust the clutch freeplay so I don't have to figure out how to schlep the bike back to the dealer? I am mechanically inept.

Thanks in advance.

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

Re: Clutch freeplay
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 02:57:37 PM »

A long story, but I just got my SESG back from the 1000 mile service after a long delay at the shop. Ice on the roads so they trailered it to my house and I didn't get to ride it home.

There is NO freeplay in the clutch. Neutral is almost impossible to find. Is there a relatively easy way to adjust the clutch freeplay so I don't have to figure out how to schlep the bike back to the dealer? I am mechanically inept.

Thanks in advance.

Couple different scenario's....1)Did the dealer re-install Syn 3 in all 3 holes at service? 2) Having the hydraulic clutch bled properly (air in the system)can cure problom as well, a common issue in the past.

2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »

Yes, there is an easy to keep you from schlepping it back to the dealer... call them to come get it.

Do you know if your SG clutch was purged by your dealer? Some, if not all. of us have had air in the clutch line from the factory. There isn't supposed to be any manual adjustments of the clutch by the dealer during a service interval if I'm not mistaken.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 03:33:35 PM »

There is no adjustment on the hydraulic clutches, period.  If the clutch is dragging, the dealer needs to thoroughly bleed the hydraulic system of all air.  This may require several attempts, and may also require them to bleed the line at the fitting to the master cylinder as well as the other end of the system at the actuator.  If the clutch still isn't operating properly after all the air is removed, they need to measure the release rod travel to verify the hydraulic portion of the system is working correctly (there is a specification for how much the rod should travel when the clutch lever is pulled in completely). If the release rod travel isn't up to spec, a good possibility is a defective actuator, or a master cylinder.  If travel checks OK to spec but the clutch still drags, there may be a problem with out-of-flat clutch plates or other internal clutch issues.

In other words, they need to follow proper diagnostic procedures and fix your problem.  This has been an all to common issue since they started installing the hydraulic clutches on CVO's many years ago, but it can usually be fixed with a proper bleeding of the system.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »

Jerry's given you good advice.....run with it. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.