Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Overheating Issue!  (Read 3411 times)

mw8385

• Full CVO Member
  • Oh Yah!
Overheating Issue!
« on: April 27, 2004, 10:33:15 PM »

Has anybody had there SEEG overheat? I was in Laughlin this weekend in stop and go traffic on the strip. My oil temp got up to 280 deg, the oil pressure drop next to nothing, and the bike shut down. When I restarted it kind of wound up before it fired. I parked it and let it cool down for a couple of hours.  It started right up with no more problems the rest of the weekend. I also didn't go down the strip anymore either. I'm quessing I should probably change the oil? Should I take it to the dealer? Thanks for any help or insight! BTW, Great forum! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Overheating Issue!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2004, 10:55:07 PM »

That does not sound good.  The oil cooler isn't doing much in the type of stop-and-go situation you described, however, I'm still surprised that the temp got as high as it did.  I took an Experienced Rider's Course weekend before last when the temps here were in the mid-80's.  During some of the excercises (all of which were slow-moving and required you to wait in line with the bike idling for extended periods) I checked the oil temp on my LCD dipstick and the highest reading I got was 250.  I figured the bike would go into the heat management mode at any time, but it never did.

At the very least, I would change the oil if I were you and I would also discuss what happened with a very knowledgeable service tech or service manager.  Chances are nothing is wrong if the bike is running fine now and there doesn't seem to be any new noises, etc., but it wouldn't hurt to see what they say.  Undoubtedly, you are not the first one this has happened to.  Maybe with a SEEG, but not an H-D.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2004, 11:25:23 PM »

The hotter it gets, the less oil pressure you'll have.  That parade duty (stop and go) is not good for an air cooled motor however, I doubt that you did any real damage.  These bikes have synthetic oil in them and syn has a lot higher boil point than petroleum based oil (as a matter of fact, I think it's 280 degrees, but I'm not positive).  My 01 Ultra Classic oil bag tempreture reached 285 once and it didn't do any damage and that was not synthetic.

I would change the oil thow.

All of this is just my opnion......so check around.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

kng103

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2004  SE-103          ROAD KING CLASSIC
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2004, 08:34:54 AM »

what mods do you have.
these bikes run extremely lean even with the dealer remap.
try a power commander or some other fueling device to richen up the mixture a bit.
that should take 10-15 degrees right off the top.
my bike runs much cooler now that i have the right a/f ratio.

2004 flhrci se-103 pearl white
bassani true duals w/ho mufflers
se air cleaner
sert
se-251 cam
s&s reed valve
24/37 gearing
se-6 sp
rumble road speakers
2008 lincoln mark lt(silver)

ggraves427

• Senior CVO Member
  • It's a clean machine.
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2004, 09:20:47 AM »

I am in agreement on checking the air/fuel mixture, if it is too lean it will run hot.   Now having said that you could talk about what kind of oil to use from now till the end of time: however, after much study and debate I use HD 20-50 in my SEEG.  The oil pressure guage now reads much higher at all RPM's.  Try it you will be surprised.
2004 B&B, SEEG, Power Commander, S&S dual runner to single bore Tuned Air Induction System , D&D Performance 2 into 1 with fake left side, spoiler lights, LED lights, air horns, front fender spear, chopped tour box, in dash oil temp. guage

mw8385

• Full CVO Member
  • Oh Yah!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2004, 10:53:42 AM »

The only engine mods are an air kit, SE performance mufflers, and a download. It surprised me that it got that hot.  I have noticed some more vibration, but that could be me being paraniod! [smiley=nervous.gif] I will contact a few dealers and see what there response will be. Thanks for everyones input!

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.