Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: I can't believe what happened to my Krypto, the paint peeled off the rear fender  (Read 8855 times)

slotbike

• Full CVO Member

Guys,

I AM FLIPPING OUT!  I was doing some mods to my 36 hour old Krypto.  I put my C & C solo on and liked the look without the passenger pillion. So, I took the rear passenger boards/mounts off and I started to peel off the rear fender paint protector film and.......THE PAINT CAME OFF THE REAR FENDER WITH THE FILM!  I have owned 6 Harley's in the last 2 model years and have never seen that happen.  I can't believe it!

G
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:10:32 PM by slotbike »

Wayne G

• Senior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2011 Kyrpto CVO SESG2 2/17/11
    • CVO2: 2015 Ducati Monster 1200S
    • CVO3: 2016 Softail Slim S

OUCH!!!   

I feel for ya man  after waiting all that time and now this.  Wonder if the paint issue was really solved?

How were you doing it, did you use a heat gun or hair drier to soften the adhesive.

I know I'm really careful with my greeny, but my paranoia is because of the "green" I laid out for it. Again  so sorry to hear that.

Wayne

slotbike

• Full CVO Member

Just very gently peeling it off and the paint ripped like a piece of paper. My buddy owns a body shop and said it is an adhesion issue.  It should not happen if the paint was applied properly and/or cured properly.  I have taken that crap off of every bike that I have owned and it never even occurred to me that this could happen!

G
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:27:58 PM by slotbike »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

You're not the first to have lost paint while attempting to peel that film.  Others have failed at getting warranty support for the same issue because Harley never said you were supposed to peel the film off.  For later episodes heat it a bit first.  Using a hair dryer to soften things up a bit makes it an easier and safer task.

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR

OUCH!!!   

I feel for ya man  after waiting all that time and now this.  Wonder if the paint issue was really solved?

How were you doing it, did you use a heat gun or hair drier to soften the adhesive.

I know I'm really careful with my greeny, but my paranoia is because of the "green" I laid out for it. Again  so sorry to hear that.

Wayne

Slotbike, that really sucks and yes your friend is correct and it's an adhesion issue. Did the BC/CC peel off the primer or just the CC?

I was in Orlando last weekend @ SpeedWorld Raceway and saw 2 Kryptos with MFG plates on them. It turned out to be Willie G and some of the SE personel at the drag race they sponsor. I spoke with them at length about the green bikes and the rumors about paint problems. They maintained that the problem was fading and HD's testing being so stringent. After taking a long hard look at their bikes I noticed the largest amount of fading was the BLACK on the drivetrain covers. THIS  SUCKS!

slotbike

• Full CVO Member

Slotbike, that really sucks and yes your friend is correct and it's an adhesion issue. Did the BC/CC peel off the primer or just the CC?

It looks like the green peeled right off of the base coat/primer.

G

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

I feel for ya....that happened to me on my '10 Candy Concord. Mine just peeled off the clear coat and left the paint on. Luckily for me (well not so lucky) the bike got hit and we got a new rear fender for it while it was being repaired. I've removed them before with no issues as well. It seems now you need to use heat.  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:46:47 PM by mjb765 »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

It's got nothing to do with using heat or no heat, and if Harley jerks your chain by claiming your removal of the film caused the problem, that is Pure BS.  No qualified professional in the paint industry would ever claim that interlayer paint adhesion failure is acceptable when removing a surface protective film, tape stripe, adhesive moulding, etc.  The only reason for such a failure is a defect in the paint or the paint process, and as such it is warrantable.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

glenpick

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange / Black

Interesting - sorry this has happened - when I fitted my solo seat I was concerned but all the film came off no problem with a little residue left over which came off ok - The motorco should fix for you.
"Be Thankful We're Not Getting All The Government We're Paying For"

slotbike

• Full CVO Member

It's got nothing to do with using heat or no heat, and if Harley jerks your chain by claiming your removal of the film caused the problem, that is Pure BS.  No qualified professional in the paint industry would ever claim that interlayer paint adhesion failure is acceptable when removing a surface protective film, tape stripe, adhesive moulding, etc.  The only reason for such a failure is a defect in the paint or the paint process, and as such it is warrantable.

Jerry
Jerry,

Thanks for your post......I copied it and sent it to my dealer, New Roc HD, in New Rochelle, NY!  I have to tell you, my dealer has been like family to me and I couldn't even fathom that they would not make sure that this is taken care of. I will keep you posted BUT, I am sure that New Roc will be right there getting the fix started tomorrow morning!

Glenn

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2

Jerry

Never said it should Jerry.  Just that Harley has denied the claim for that reason before.  Whether they should or shouldn't have wasn't being addressed.  Same with adding a little heat.  Whether it should be necessary or not it does help a little.  Either way it's a shame the guy has the trouble.  Hopefully HD won't jerk him around.

Lucky88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG Kryptonite/Black Diamond
    • CVO3: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt

Oh sh!$, I'm sorry to hear that. That really suck, :o
2004 Honda RVT1000-(RC51) still in crate
2004 BMW K1200RS - Go anywhere bike
2006 BMW GS Adventure special edition -still in crate
2009 BMW HP2 Sport  #1-w/ABS- still in crate
2010 CVO SESG- Spiced Rum- wants to come out to play
2011 BMW HP2 Sport - Waiting for a Motorsport Edition-wishful thinking
2011 CVO SESG- Kryptonite- Finally arrived 2-21-11
2011.5 CVO Ultra Classic- Blue or Red? ...BLUE! arrived 3-28-11

DOC.COFFIN

• Senior CVO Member
  • Transplanted from San Diego To Napoli

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO DARK SLATE / BLACK DIAMOND
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 CVO BLACK DIAMOND & CRIMSON
    • CVO3: 2008 FLHR VIVID BLACK

Unf*#%ingbelievable...sorry to hear that! I hope that all works out for you to your advantage. Please keep us up to date.

Doc
"War is an ugly, messy, bloody business. No one welcomes the task of waging it. And yet the task is ours. Neither pity us nor praise us. Stand by us." ~Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Skillet

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHR Road King
    • CVO3: 1980 FXB Sturgis

Man that is totally bad. I probably would have had a heart attack. What kind of crap is that? I truly hope it all works out to your advantage.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE

New Roc should do the right thing...I would be surprised if they didn't......
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.