Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any MSF Instructors here?  (Read 1005 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Any MSF Instructors here?
« on: May 03, 2006, 02:12:31 PM »

I'm thinking of becoming one here in California, and wanted to hear feedback from current instructors.

Overall impressions
benefits
time commitments
any thoughts at all.

Thanks
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
Re: Any MSF Instructors here?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 07:32:10 PM »

ultrafxr is: http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1146533951

I've also given this some thought, so I'll be interested in reading the responses to the questions you posed.  Good topic for a thread! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 01:02:25 AM »

I've also given this some thought,

You'd want to put up with people like us?  [smiley=nervous.gif]

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 01:04:35 AM »

Already do. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 01:09:26 AM »

Already do. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Masochist.

Or, in this case, CycloMasochist  [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 10:18:14 AM »

Putting up with people like you, is how I meet people like me!
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 10:25:05 AM »

Don who the hell can someone teach you when you already know everything. [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]You da man Donny [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

jachin72

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2006, 03:56:03 PM »

I'm thinking of becoming one here in California, and wanted to hear feedback from current instructors.

Overall impressions
benefits  
time commitments  
any thoughts at all.

Ironhorse,
Overall Impressions: Great program.  As a coach, you would be doing your part keeping novice M/C riders out of coffins.  This is a very effectively taught and coached course [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Likes:  Meet a huge cross-section of people.  I coach mostly novices, who don't own a bike yet.  The experienced ones usually can't pass the DMV parking lot driving test.  Some experienced riders take the course to get an insurance break.  And a very small minority of experienced riders are there to relearn techniques the right and safe way.  They are a dream to coach because they are open to change.  And every experienced rider has left our program satisfied.  I know this because every student sends a critique directly back to the California Highway Patrol, who QCs our program.  MSF also comes by unannounced and tells us how well we are doing.
Dislikes: Standing in the rain at 40 degrees, and standing in the sun at 110 degrees.  Standing in general up to 10 hours on the weekend.  Loss of weekends, but at least it's with the M/C community and aspiring riders.
Benefits:  My company pays us about $30/hr.  Not bad OCD money.  30% savings at one of the local M/C accessories store (not harley related), but 30% is 30%.  50 state certification recognition through the MSF.
Time Committments:  NOW WE HIT THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  The committment starts right away in the Rider Coach Prep Course.  3 weekends in a row.  Fri/Sat/Sun.  I had to drive from south of Fresno to Merced, pay my own lodging and food.  During the RCP, you have to do all the prerequisite stuff or you will fail.  You have to memorize and know things as you go that don't make sense to you.  You learn the RCP the same way you coach the Basic Rider Coach (BRC), which is a very different, but very effective, way of learning.  So human nature is that you blow off the prereqs, you learned in a different way, and you need more time to absorb this stuff BEFORE you become an "expert".  BUUUTTTTT, you don't get it that way.  Most of us have "taxing jobs" during the week, so going through this after already being beat up at work makes it even harder.  Coaching your first class is very unnerving, especially since you can count on having 1 to 5 people there who feel that they know more than you and sometimes they are right!
The secret to making it through the RCP and through the first few classes and ranges is preparation, committment to being an expert, and depending on your partner.  I have been spoiled with my various partners.  They took me under their wing and made me better and more effective.
I've been coaching since last October and it's a blast, even though I've been drenched, sunburned and my dogs barking, it's a blast.
Believe it or not, most of the students "who know more than you do, and why are they even there" usually calm down and have genuine fun by exercise 5 the first day.  Exercise 10 the second day is the true equalizer and makes everyone the same and those who have broadened their horizons always do well the rest of the day, as well as the final driving exams.  OK this is too long already, but I am a California-based Rider Coach, so I think my comments apply and answer your questions directly.  
PM me with your location and I might be able to put you in touch with a Site Manager who can line you up with a RCP sign-up list somewhere.  I can expand on the program on PM too if you would like.
Steve

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 03:22:30 PM »

Steve,

That is just the kind of reply I am looking for.
Please check your e-mail.

Thanks

Mark

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 21 queries.