Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum  (Read 884 times)

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
« on: May 08, 2006, 02:00:12 AM »

Hi All, Jonga here. Was wondering if anyone had visited Barber Museum.... and recomends it as a stop for JC, Andy and myself on our trip were getting ready to start. Their an article in Thunder press this month about the museum so I thought I'd get some Hands on feedback if anyone has been there. Thanks in advance, Jon

Bungy

• Senior CVO Member
  • Keep your stick on the ice
    • AB

• CVO1: '08 SEUC annie
Re: Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 12:02:15 AM »

I was there a couple weeks ago - excellent place. 5 stories of motorcycles - what mare could one ask for!
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:42:51 AM »

Hi All, Jonga here. Was wondering if anyone had visited Barber Museum.... and recomends it as a stop for JC, Andy and myself on our trip were getting ready to start. Their an article in Thunder press this month about the museum so I thought I'd get some Hands on feedback if anyone has been there. Thanks in advance, Jon

Plan to spend at least two hours if you go.  If you don't give yourself the time you won't be happy when you leave, especially if it is difficult to get back there.

Every bike in the museum is "wet".  At any time Mr. Barber, a retired dairy farmer, can ask to have one of the bikes ridden.

He gave us a personal tour a few months ago when I was there for a Porsche meeting and we were using the track.  Porsche uses the Barber facility for their driving school and they have run of the facility as they partnered with the museum.

We were fortunate to be there when Mr. Barber was there and he took 6 of us on a walking tour.  The funny thing is he said, "I don't even ride really, a couple of my shop guys and I were talking when we were winding down the dairy operations and trying to figure out what we could do with all the shop guys that mostly kept the dairy rigs on the road and did bodywork as well."

He had them try their hand at restoring a 1957 Chevrolet.  When they had finished he recalled it would have made a nice used car but not a restored classic.  He said, "don't ever have truck guys work on cars.  They're too used to using BIG hammers and stuff!"

But the shop guys didn't want to give up so they got a classic Honda Road Race bike and restored it.  They gave it to Mr. Barber as a gift.  Barber, who had raced Porsche and other sport cars in his early years, was fascinated with the engineering that went into the make up of motorcycles.  A love affair was underway.

He is a great guy to talk to and truly has a love for motorcycles now.  He had just purchased his 900th bike and asked if we knew what they say when you have done that........well, he said, after they have that white jacket strapped on you....and then he just laughed.  He has no idea when he will have all the bikes he wants, but if you are lucky enough to get down where you can get a good look at the basement floor (closed to the public, they do all the restoration and maintenance there, but visible from the upper floor) you will see it appears he is broadening his modest car collection as well.  Looks to me like he is working on a Lotus collection and the odd muscle car here and there as well as a Ferrari or two.

I could go on and on and we only got to take about an hour with Mr. Barber before we had to return to the track.  I would say we saw about one third of the exhibit and didn't spend that much time with any single bike.

A MUST SEE www.barbermuseum.org
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:50:45 AM by Rjob749 »

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 01:54:03 AM »

I looked on the museum site and found this in the update for "About Us".

The collection now has over 900 vintage and modern motorcycles and as well as a substantial collection of Lotus and other racecars. It is considered the largest in North American and possibly the world. There are approximately five hundred motorcycles on display at any given time. (There are over 900 in the collection.) These bikes range from 1904 to current-year production. There are bikes from 16 countries that represent 143 different marques. The common street bike is represented, as well as rare one-off Gran Prix race machinery. Bikes have been purchased from as far away as Australia, New Zealand, and Sweden, but also as close as down the street.

Here's an aerial picture of the facility the museum is in the upper right hand corner.  He built the track and entire complex to display and race the collection.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:55:14 AM by Rjob749 »

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:55:07 AM »

THATS A GREAT AIR SHOT. I HAVN'T BEEN THEIR YET BUT PLAN TO SOON. ALSO IN THE AREA IS A MOTORCYCLE RESORT CALLED 29 DREAMS. CHECK OUT THEIR WEB @ 29 DREAMS.COM. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 10:09:26 AM »

It is truly worth the visit.  I saw the 29 site from another thread.  Looks like a good spot to do a stopover.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:25:04 PM by Rjob749 »

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 12:36:54 PM »

I live in Birmingham...the track and museum is just outside of B'ham.  By ALL means, make a stop there, but be prepared to come out drooling, and as mentioned above, allow yourself some time. The track is state of the art, and as far as I know, received great praise from the motorcycle racing community.

Check it out....29 Dreams too   [smiley=drink.gif]
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

jonga

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 01:33:17 AM »

Hi All, just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. Now all I have to do is get JCZ and AK to agree with me for a stopover at Barbers. If anyone else has any suggestions on sites we shouldn't miss, I would really appreciate hearing about them.... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Can't wait!!!!! it's exactly 30 days till we take the RED-EYE from San Fran to Atlanta Geo. and get started on our adventure on June 9th. [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif] [smiley=jalapeno.gif] Hell yeah!!!!!!!! Thanks again, Jon

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 21 queries.