Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fall Away measurement for 2011  (Read 901 times)

cvoleo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
Fall Away measurement for 2011
« on: September 20, 2011, 11:56:02 AM »

With my bike on the jack, there seems to be too much "flop" in the triple trees. Does anyone have the fall away measurement?

Thanks,

Leo

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Fall Away measurement for 2011
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »

yes.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

millmutt

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
    • CVO2: 2007 FXDSE
    • CVO3: 2011 FLSTSE2
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 07:36:23 AM »

I have found the step by step Fall Away procedure is a bit over the top. If I felt it had too much flop I would just snug it up a bit. I have adjusted dozens of steering heads over
several years and never had any problems. I suspect that at many shops they bypass the step by step and do the same.

Millmutt 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 08:37:48 AM »

I don't have the specification for your bike, but I do have a question and a comment.

Why not purchase your very own copy of the shop manual for your bike?  That way you will have not only the specifications but also the instructions on the right way to check and adjust things like steering head bearing preload along with a ton of other useful information.

As for just snugging stuff up a bit because you "think" there is too much "flop", please look at that comment a little closer.  First, you have absolutely no idea at this point if there is anything whatsoever wrong with your steering head adjustment.  Does the bike exhibit a wobble or weave while riding down the road at various speeds?  If yes, then by all means get the steering head checked and properly adjusted.  But just cranking down on on a critical safety related adjustment without reason is not something I'd ever suggest.  Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.