Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traveling @ 0 speed  (Read 993 times)

Assfault

• Flash burn
Traveling @ 0 speed
« on: July 01, 2006, 10:19:11 PM »

I ride a 2001 se road glide. This bike has approx 25,000 miles on it now. Today on a 125mile poker run the speedometer dropped out and stopped working. The turn signals stopped turning off automaticly and needless to say the crusie is not working either. When I got home I checked the fuses, checked for loose wires in the speedo and checked the diagnostics on the speedo everything showed clear. I then took out the speed sensor from the trans and it was covered pretty good with small metal deposits. I cleaned the sensor but found no cracks or damage so I replaced it back in the trans. I still have no speedo or auto turn signals or cruise control.    My question is should the speedo affect the auto turn signals??  Has anyone else had this trouble ?  Suggestions please.    
Gremlin Bell

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE
Re: Traveling @ 0 speed
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 03:08:49 AM »

I can't help you with the speedo issue. However, the turn signals are working correctly. If the speedo is reading zero (0) and you turn your signals on, the ECM thinks you are sitting at a red light with your signals on. It won't turn them off because it doesn't see you moving.

Concentrate on the speedo, the signals will cure themselves.

Good luck!

[smiley=cherry.gif]
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 02:17:42 PM »

Could be a TSSM.  (Turn Signal Security Module).

I'd first of all check to see that it's plugged in (under seat) and then pull the outer fairing off and check the plug on the back of the speedo.  It's on page 120 of the 2001 parts book.  

Good luck and let us know what you find out.  
Cheers, J
 [smiley=drink.gif]
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

Assfault

• Flash burn
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 07:53:07 PM »

First of all thanks for your replys. To make a long story short I replaced the speed sensor and wala..Problemed solved.  Now for those of you that want to know what I did I will give it a shot to describe. First I took out the battery and disconnected the sensor. I then made up some test plugs and removed the sensor from the trans. I attached + to the red - to the black and read the voltage from the signal wire (White) to ground. There was none. I was really expecting to see a voltage here.. Then I read the ohms from black to signal It read 28 dry and 30 ohms when connected to metal. Strange huh.. So since I have never dealt with a sensor like this I felt that since I was not getting a voltage on the signal under power and connected to metal that the sensor was bad. So I drove a alternate vehicle 80 miles to the nearest dealer and bought a speed sensor. When I got home I checked the new sensor in the same way before I put it on the bike. Again no voltage was present on the signal wire. But this time the ohm reading was swinging from 10 ohms to 30 ohms. So I put the sensor in and hoped for the best.  Once the bike was back together everything was fine, turn signals and all .   The moral to this long story it that I believe that the speedometer is reading resistance and not voltage to give the speed reading. Now I dont claim to be the brightest apple on the tree, and have been known to make a mistake or two in the past. But this is speedo sensor 101 according to ASSFAULT.
Gremlin Bell

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 10:00:26 PM »

Assfault

I'm glad to see you got your problem fixed! It sounds like the speed sensor is like the one's we use on Caterpillar equipment. It is a Pulse Width Modulating (PWM) Sensor. It is a magnetic field that sends an on/off signal to the ECM. As a tooth on a gear passes by sensor it generates a signal to tell how fast your going. Can be read in duty cycle on multimeter if you spoon in while riding. Otherwise you can read ohms which is resistance of the windings inside. There should be a spec for this in service manual.

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 01:01:37 AM »

Damn speed sensor - had problems with my '03 Fatboy...  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 22 queries.