Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Blacking out a Citrus/Gunstock  (Read 2932 times)

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FXDFSE2- Taken out by a Ford
    • CVO2: 2012 FLHXSE3
Blacking out a Citrus/Gunstock
« on: February 02, 2012, 02:35:51 PM »

I am a fan of "blacking out" bikes. Not 100% black, but rather replacing most chrome. I really like the contrast pieces like the MOCOs edge cut or Arlen Ness' deep cut stuff. Since I plan on replacing the bars, pipes, adding driving lights, etc, it wouldn't take much else to change the look. I think the Citrus/GS paint would complement black well. I even did some sut/paste of C/G paint over a '11 Krypto engine and forks, which I liked quite a bit. I'm curious if I can make it look good with out having to replace the primary and trans cases, instead leaving the motor alone as a shining diamond. Am I crazy?
Motorbreath is how I live my life, I cant take it any other way...

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
Re: Blacking out a Citrus/Gunstock
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:44:21 PM »

I am a fan of "blacking out" bikes. Not 100% black, but rather replacing most chrome. I really like the contrast pieces like the MOCOs edge cut or Arlen Ness' deep cut stuff. Since I plan on replacing the bars, pipes, adding driving lights, etc, it wouldn't take much else to change the look. I think the Citrus/GS paint would complement black well. I even did some sut/paste of C/G paint over a '11 Krypto engine and forks, which I liked quite a bit. I'm curious if I can make it look good with out having to replace the primary and trans cases, instead leaving the motor alone as a shining diamond. Am I crazy?

First off, who would go to all of the effort and expense of blacking out a bike?   :nixweiss:  :huepfenlol2:

This is JMO, but I don't think blacked out covers would look good on the granite cases.  I think the bike you are talking about has the granite cases instead of black cases.  Anyway, its your baby, do what make you "rock and roll."

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 04:05:35 PM »

The Same could be said for chroming out a bike.
Yes the Krypto has a black motor, which until I win the loto, I wont be messing with mine. Its more the things like fork legs, wheels, and previously mentioned items, to change it from a totally shiny bike, to something more subtle. I suppose my chrome tolerance isnt as high as some, I want less, which is why I prefer contrast cut pieces.

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »

with a CVO less is more  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 04:53:57 PM »

Shouldn't that be.. With a CVO, less costs more..  :-X

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 06:57:49 PM »

FWIW.. If the OP is interested I have come black OEM components from a Krypto that I opted to chrome out .. I have trans top, trans trapdoor as well as cam cover and inner primary .. These Items are available for purchase .. regardless of what the MOCO said " black is NOT the new chrome "  chrome will always be king .. just my humble opinion ..

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »

I think the Kryptos have a great blend of black and chrome. There isnt enough color on it though, thats where the biggest difference in my mind is. With the paint I have, it shouldnt look like it belongs to Bruce Wayne when I add black accessories. My first Harley was a '96 Bad boy, so maybe my perception is skewed. .

mark

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 10:26:16 AM »

Wow.  I'd like to have this type bank acct...pay $30+k for a chromed out bike and then replacing with black.  If you go thru with it, post some pics.

Billy Swift

• 2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:47:57 AM »

Vyscera

• Angsty Youth
  • Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 03:43:49 PM »

Wow.  I'd like to have this type bank acct...pay $30+k for a chromed out bike and then replacing with black.  If you go thru with it, post some pics.

Ha, I wish. Hard to do on enlisted mans pay. It will be a slow process. But I plan on doing exhaust and handle bars regardless of whether I go black or not, and black is often cheaper than chrome. Besides, I dont want everything black. I'll put pics up for critism as I go. 

BUBBLEHEAD

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE CVO Road Glide Bronze Armor
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 03:59:05 PM »

I personally dont think the black would look good on your citrus. Have you looked into the "Black Chrome" that might be the ticket for your bike.  Just a thought.

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »

Wow, not seeing the whole blacking out a citrus/gunstock SESG3.  The bike really "pops" with the orange and all the chrome.  Blacking it out  would, IMO, really dull it down.  Also, are you planning on having the engine and tranny powder-coated black?  Don't think with the granite cases and tranny, blacking out would blend well.  JMO...it's your bike, do what you feel you need to do to make it yours.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »

Wow, not seeing the whole blacking out a citrus/gunstock SESG3.  The bike really "pops" with the orange and all the chrome.  Blacking it out  would, IMO, really dull it down.  Also, are you planning on having the engine and tranny powder-coated black?  Don't think with the granite cases and tranny, blacking out would blend well.  JMO...it's your bike, do what you feel you need to do to make it yours.

:devil:

I agree completely. The Krypto looks killer blacked out - because it has black on it from the factory. The Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock SESG has NO black on it anywhere - except for the frame, the seat, and (oddly) the starter. Even the engine is granite - not black. Blacking out an orange and BROWN bike does not make sense to me at all. I would think it would look rather odd... a jumble of orange, brown, and black. Now, blacking out the Slate/Black 2012 SESG WOULD make sense... since it's black and not brown. Blacking out the Ruby Red/Typhoon maroon SESG could work, too... but not the Hot Citrus. Just my opinion... it's your bike and your money...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »

IMO blacked out would ruin the bike, especially with replacing the chrome covers with black on the granite engine.
Although would be interesting to see one blacked out!!!

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 04:08:13 AM »

I've got a full Vance and Hines setup in black if interested.

Dresser Duals headers and Hi-Output slip-ons.

I'll make you a deal!!
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.