Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: what 2 headlight bulbs in '12 sesg?  (Read 2421 times)

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
what 2 headlight bulbs in '12 sesg?
« on: February 04, 2012, 05:24:20 AM »

I have liked the Piaa bulbs for several years now,,, Before buying HID, i was thinking of trying these,,,  Anyone can tell me the sizes??  i haven't even pulled the fairing off yet..   Then the garage opener goes in also. :2vrolijk_21:

Dryer

• Junior CVO Member
Re: what 2 headlight bulbs in '12 sesg?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 07:53:54 AM »

My 11 has a h9 and h11

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:52 AM »

Thanks.  I think I'll give them a try. I'm gonna get the white ones    ;)

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:03:31 AM »

I just put the PIIA bulbs in my 06.  I had to do a little work because the 06, even though it was the dual bulb headlight only used a 35w & 55w.  I had to modify the light to be able to turn the bulbs into place & the connector for the Hi Beam to fit the H11.  I just didn't want to spend the money for HID or LED because I just don't ride that much at night.

I also did the matching PIIA bulbs for the spot lights.  I really like the setup.  Rode for 3 hours on the dark the other morning & it was great.  I also have a set of PIIA driving lights so it all fits nicely & the front is all pure white light.
Headlight =
Here is what I used, got them from Amazon at a decent price.
1 "PIAA 15111 H11 Xtreme White Plus Bulb"
Automotive; $38.68
In Stock
   Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

1 "PIAA 19165 Xtreme White Plus H9 Bulb"
Automotive; $45.01
In Stock

Spots=
PIAA 18803 881 Xtreme White Bulb - Pair
Condition: new
Quantity: 1
$59.81 each

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 07:28:06 PM »

Just ordered up as set from amazon.com.   Be here in a few days,,  I have the Piaa s in my. 04 and they work really well.  Just thinking as i re-read the item.  They say " automotive".  They should be good for use on am motorcycle?n. Just thinkin again here.  They should arrive here sometime next week.  Skly-   Have yours been in very long?  Might as well try these before looking at HID.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:19:28 PM by cvostu »

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:21:51 PM »

Yes, they are automotive, no difference. An H11 is an H11 no matter which way you turn it.

I have had the Spots in for about a month, the headlight in for about two weeks.  The work just fine IMHO.  I am waiting to ride in the dark with my buddy that has all HD LED's.  I know the LED's will be brighter but I also know the light pattern is very different.  So it will be an interesting comparison.

I'm very satisfied with my $140 as compared to his $800.  I don't mind paying for the right parts, just can't justify that much money for the amount of dark riding I do.
Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »

Let me know how it compares to the hid.  And also how it feels with an extra $660 in your pocket.  :D

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »

I have liked the Piaa bulbs for several years now,,, Before buying HID, i was thinking of trying these,,,  Anyone can tell me the sizes??  i haven't even pulled the fairing off yet..   Then the garage opener goes in also. :2vrolijk_21:

Did you confirm that the H9 was the High, and the H11 was the low?  I haven't pulled my fairing off by myself yet, and was hoping someone could answer without having to do so yet.  I am debating also between whiter bulbs or HID, does anyone know if I install either options, will it void the extended warranty?  I don't ride a ton at night, but occasionally do, and the stock lights suck wind.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »

Did you confirm that the H9 was the High, and the H11 was the low? 

Yes, the larger number is the low beam.  So H9 for high beam and H11 for low beam.  Unless you choose to use a high beam bulb in both holes.  Doing so requires only a small modification to the bulb's base.

15CVOSG

• Elite CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 2015 CVO FLHXSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO FLHXSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2011 CVO FLHXSE2 (SOLD)
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 11:46:53 AM »

I did H9's in both holes...big difference...low beam is a 55W and the H9 bulb is a 65W...stock bulb has a yellow light, the PIAA's are a bright white...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:19 PM »

Yes, they are automotive, no difference. An H11 is an H11 no matter which way you turn it.

I have had the Spots in for about a month, the headlight in for about two weeks.  The work just fine IMHO.  I am waiting to ride in the dark with my buddy that has all HD LED's.  I know the LED's will be brighter but I also know the light pattern is very different.  So it will be an interesting comparison.

I'm very satisfied with my $140 as compared to his $800.  I don't mind paying for the right parts, just can't justify that much money for the amount of dark riding I do.

Many of the Nor Cal members have HID (I believe they're down below $400 now) and a couple have the LED (including the driving lights).  Leading the rides most of the time, I can tell you that HID has a much wider beam pattern than the newer LED lights.  They're also much cheaper, however, not as cheap as the PIAA bulbs.

When the bikes with the LED lights get very far back, if they move over a lane or two on the freeway, they're very hard to see (like stock) yet I can see the HID that are behind them, just fine.  In other words, it seems the LED lights (even with the driving lights) have a much narrower beam (even though it's wider than stock lights) than the HID lights have.

Hope this helps in your decision making.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

lilcoot

• Elite CVO Member
  • Scaramoosh! Scaramoosh! Can you do the Fandango?

• CVO1: '13 FLTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 05:21:45 AM »

Any of you who've used the PIAAs, please let us know if you think they are much better than stock?

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine put the PIAAs in his truck, and says they're no different/better than stock.  My assumption is that, like everything Harley, the stock lights in my friend's truck are a lot better than the Harley's stock lights to begin with.

Just wondering if there's a significant difference with the stock HIDs in a 2012 CVOSG vs the PIAAS?  I really need better light at night and was going to spring for the LEDs from HD or Kuryakyn, but if the PIAAs are better than the stock HIDs, I can live with the price difference of the PIAAs a lot easier.

Thanks,

Dan

Deep Blue Dives

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: "Cali" - 2012 CVO Streetglide
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 12:21:32 AM »

Any of you who've used the PIAAs, please let us know if you think they are much better than stock?

The reason I ask is because a friend of mine put the PIAAs in his truck, and says they're no different/better than stock.  My assumption is that, like everything Harley, the stock lights in my friend's truck are a lot better than the Harley's stock lights to begin with.

Just wondering if there's a significant difference with the stock HIDs in a 2012 CVOSG vs the PIAAS?  I really need better light at night and was going to spring for the LEDs from HD or Kuryakyn, but if the PIAAs are better than the stock HIDs, I can live with the price difference of the PIAAs a lot easier.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan - HD doesn't put an HID light in the stock bike, what you are getting is a plain ole simple automotive light.  It looks yellow in comparison to LED/HID/Halogen. 

The PIAA manufactures several different halogen lights.  The one being discussed in this thread is a halogen light at a wavelength of 4000K.  This being in the midrange of the spectrum.  It is a whole light brighter, and whiter.  The ones I installed today don't appear to have a blueish tint, but I have heard others saying this. 

The HID lights are the top of the line, and you can get a variety of wavelengths.  The 6000K is a truly pure white light.  This is the chit!  They are insanely bright, which allows them to reach further out front, and side to side than any of the lighting options.  My car has HID's, and they are simply awesome.  I don't like driving my gf's car at night because hers doesn't have them.

I just installed the two PIAA lights yesterday, and it is a big improvement over the Harley Stock bulb.  It's much brighter, and I had a couple of riders today comment on how bright they were compared to their stock lights.  I mainly went this route for cost.  I just invested in some other items, and am using this as a stepping stone until I put the HID's in.  It took all of 10 minutes to take out the headlight and swap out the two bulbs.

I would let your budget dictate your path.  There was no way in hell I was going to pay $500+ bucks for an LED from HD, and it's only a matter of time before I install the better lower cost alternative of HID's ($250-400.00) when my funds are refreshed.  There are a ton of great threads and info on the HID's, and the different manufacturers.

Good luck.
"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be" ~Pink Floyd
"Counting all the assholes in the room...I'm definitely not alone" ~Volbeat

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 07:46:42 AM »

I see a whole lot better with the Piaa bulbs.  Very white and work well.  I am thinking about passing lamps also. If I get tem, Piaa's will be in those too.  :2vrolijk_21:

BLU Bike

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 04:03:45 PM »

I just installed H9 bulbs for the low beam and high beam. I had to modify one of the mounting tabs by removing some material for one bulb, I also had to use a small pair of cutters to remove one side of the plastic tabs inside the bulbs on both bulbs. The stock bulbs had one raised section in the middle of each bulb that fit inside the plug but the H9's had a raised section on both the top and bottom. It was easy to see what was needed and they fit in well once I modified them. They look brighter in the garage and tonight I'll see how they look in the dark on a backroad. Thanks for the info as always!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 06:28:19 PM »

im sure the h9 will be a huge improvement from what you had..  the h11 in my low beam is much better too,

Fxr4Rider

• More to come
  • Full CVO Member
  • It's not the destination, it's the journey.
    • ON

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 Yellow
    • CVO2: 2012 Flhxse3- Build Date 01/12
    • CVO3: 1985 FLT (SOLD)
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 11:09:06 PM »

Not sure about LED's. But am pleased with my HID's I just installed. I'm going to now have to install them in my spots.

Just Gotta figure  out where to stuff more ballasts and wires in that fairing! :nervous: :nervous:

Nearly out of room in there. :2vrolijk_21:
Fullsac w/ 2" cores
Zumo 665
LED Spots with Led Trim Rings
HID Headlight
Red LED under glow street kit
Kury Curved Lic plate
Ultimate seat with backrest
FUN AS HELL TO RIDE!!
King Matched Tour Pak
Ultimate Seat
LRS Windscreen
More Chrome
Andrews 54's
.30 head gaskets
Chubby's and Heated Grips!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 12:06:20 AM »

FXR4,,   What did you use for your HID?   i am thinking about it..

Dryer

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:45 AM »

Not sure about LED's. But am pleased with my HID's I just installed. I'm going to now have to install them in my spots.

Just Gotta figure  out where to stuff more ballasts and wires in that fairing! :nervous: :nervous:

Nearly out of room in there. :2vrolijk_21:

Did your kits come with a relay and other wiring?  I just tried plugging my ballast in to the the headlight harness and when you would start the bike. The starter made such a voltage drop the lights would go out and not come back on till you turned the power off and back on
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.