Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: you have dropped your bike-cuse What now?!  (Read 4107 times)

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
you have dropped your bike-cuse What now?!
« on: March 27, 2012, 10:43:05 PM »

Yesterday morning the guy in front of my truck stopped for stop sign and dropped his bike(ROAD GLIDE). He could not pick it up himself. got out and helped him get it back on two wheels. got me to wondering how or what i should hold or grip where and how to pick my cuse back up. anyone know of a proper way of doing this with just yourself performing this task? man just thinking about this makes my back hurt. anyone encounter this or know the best way to get the bike up on its wheels without help.   

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Re: you have dropped your bike-cuse What now?!
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:40 PM »

With the ride like a pro and the advanced riders courses I have seen them show you how a woman can stand up a FLH
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 10:49:34 PM »

With the ride like a pro and the advanced riders courses I have seen them show you how a woman can stand up a FLH
do they have video courses?

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 10:58:10 PM »

This is their site :

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »

Check with Mark ironhorse.

He teaches ride like a pro and prolly the best to ask about that.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

RidinRuby

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:13:08 PM »

Check 'er out

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 11:19:24 PM »

Check 'er out

he certainly has a technique. that is something i do not want to practice though. i hope i can remember if it happens to me. thanks for the link?

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 11:23:09 PM »

;)

"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 12:01:47 AM »

If you are going to ride, you had better know how to pick the bike up.  No one who has done any significant amount of riding has never dropped their bike. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 02:59:18 AM »

that is something i do not want to practice though.

Actually that IS something you should practice. Like ALL things motorcycle related, practice is key and it's not that hard. Strip your bike of bags, protect your crashbars with heater hose secured with duct tape and gently set it down on the crashbar on a level surface. Follow the video, put your butt in the seat, palm down grasp the inside grip and pull it into the tank. Grab the rear crashbar with your other hand, and like Jerry said, use a soft tie to help get a better lower hold. If you don't have a soft tie, take your belt off and loop it around the rear foot peg. With your shoulders square use your legs to take small steps to upright the bike. Your back should not be supporting any weight. Keep your head any eyes up and looking out the whole time.

Hope this helps.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 06:39:11 AM »

Squat down on the fallen side of the bike, lower back and butt get placed against the side of the seat, slowly take short steps backwards, begin raising your hips at the same time as the bike starts to right on both wheels.

Works the quads hard but its the safest and quickest way I've ever tried.

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 09:11:51 AM »

Murphy's got it right.

I dropped my 2011 CVO Street Glide after I stopped at a light and put my foot down in a hole. Couldn't help it, the traffic stopped in perfect position for me. Yeah! .

I weigh a whopping 160 lbs. I got off, picked it up, restarted and drove off before the light changed. Sucked but when you put your foot in a 6" deep pothole on a down hill left to right slope you're pretty much guaranteed to set it down. I almost saved it but it went down in slow motion as my 160 lbs gave into the 800+ lb machine.

I learned this trick several years ago when I was looking for my first Harely. I told the saleswoman that I didn't think I could pick up a Deuce. She (about 5'-2", 110 lbs) called another salesman over and they laid down a Wide Glide. Without much effort she stood it right back up.

They are heavy and you'll need to grunt a little but she will stand back up. No problem.
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 09:27:20 AM »

Any bike is easy to pick up with the right technique. I saw a guy in the ride like a pro class I attended pick up his Ultra Classic at least 10 times during the four hour class.

If I did not know how to pick up my bike I would not leave the house.  :nixweiss:

darth davidson

• FLTRUSE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 CVO Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »

I have dropped the bike ....ejem ...  more than once!!! Is a FLTRUSE 900 Lbs beast. I lifted it off the ground , alone with this technique. It works , is fast and safe!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

Actually that IS something you should practice. Like ALL things motorcycle related, practice is key and it's not that hard. Strip your bike of bags, protect your crashbars with heater hose secured with duct tape and gently set it down on the crashbar on a level surface. Follow the video, put your butt in the seat, palm down grasp the inside grip and pull it into the tank. Grab the rear crashbar with your other hand, and like Jerry said, use a soft tie to help get a better lower hold. If you don't have a soft tie, take your belt off and loop it around the rear foot peg. With your shoulders square use your legs to take small steps to upright the bike. Your back should not be supporting any weight. Keep your head any eyes up and looking out the whole time.

Hope this helps.

After taking Mark's (Ironhorse) course, Ride Like A Pro West Coast.....   http://www.ridelikeaprowestcoast.com/ , my wife dropped her bike on her way home from work.  Nobody around.....she got it up by her self. :2vrolijk_21:

Here's a couple You Tube videos of Mark's course.....    

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.231 seconds with 21 queries.