Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Author Topic: Unresolved removable Tourpak LED Wiring Issue with 2011 CVO Street Glide  (Read 8875 times)

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)

I bought the HD LED Tourpak light kit for my removable tourpak on my 2011 SESG.
The LED kit kit includes the HD run/turn/brake module wired into the harness that comes with the kit.
I also purchased the HD wire harness for 2011 CVO Ultra tourpak, because it combines wiring for the Tourpak LED tailights and LED sidemarker lights, but none of the connectors match from the kit or what exists on my SESG..
The problem I am finding is that the 2011 SESG rear wiring connectors that comes off the main harness to the existing SESG tail lamps are 8 pin Molex variety and have six wires from the main harness going into what I call the male 8 pin molex and out from the female 8 pin molex where there is a three way split with 4 wires going to each LED run/turn/brake lamp and then two wires going to the license plate light.
I even saw the numbering system of 1 thru 4 and 5 thru 8 on the back of each side of the molex plugs.
What I need is a Y molex adapter that has the same configuration at the base and left arm of the Y to connect to the brake lights and license plate light.
What I don't know is how the right arm of the Y should be configured to power the TP LED tail light kit and running lamps on the sides of the TP. The harness that came with the LED tail light kit came with the run/turn/brake module wired into that harness, and it has a different number of wires running from its' female molex connector into the harness inside the tour pak.
Hopefully someoneone else reading this post may be able to assist, especially with pictures.
Or, am I better off contacting Ride Time and asking them to provide their solution?
This is sort of frustrating.
Thanks

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

Call RideTime and have Keith make you a T or Y harness.
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Thanks ThunderBueller, that sounds like what I am going to need to do.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs

That's probably the easiest thing to do. Wiring harnesses on the SESGs always seem to be a B****. If you can have someone else make up a harness for you, you're probably better off.

On my '12 SESG, I ended up making my own custom 5-wire harness by tapping into the little 3-wire run/brake/ground connector under the left side cover, and also tapping into the big harness on the rear fender to pick up the turn signal connections. I put a 6-pin Deutsch connector on this harness, just behind the rear of the seat, to make it quick disconnect. Within the TP, I terminated the connections to match the ones from the side lights, and soldered the tiny little wires from the Ride Time Technology light bar I have into the wires in my custom harness, then wrapped everything up tight in plastic tubing and electrical tape. It was a real hassle, and under the TP liner it's a real rats' nest... but it works!.

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD

This is pretty easy ... just follow the instructions as not all positions are used from the Y-Harness to the run that goes to the TP.
I don't remember having a problem when I did mine (been a while) - seems as if it was straight-forward for wiring.

Just fyi ... the Y-Harness are not Molex connectors - they are Amp Multilock.
I'll try and dig out my instructions to refresh my memory and post up what I find.

It was all a plug-n-play install - I didn't need to tap, cut, or splice any wire to install.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

gg

• Elite CVO Member

TIF2, thanks for the information. Did you have to change AMP Multilock connectors to molex type for your FLHXSE2?
Did that give you the run/turn/brake functions for the outer LED modules and run/brake for the center module?

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Nope ... all I remember doing is following the install instructions.

The connector on the "light side" of the LED R/T/B module is a Molex MX150.
The connector for the "Y-Harness" under the seat is an Amp Multilock.

Did you get the install instructions with your Light Bar kit?
TIF2

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

Nope ... all I remember doing is following the install instructions.

The connector on the "light side" of the LED R/T/B module is a Molex MX150.
The connector for the "Y-Harness" under the seat is an Amp Multilock.

Did you get the install instructions with your Light Bar kit?

Something's not right here. FLHXSE's use Molex connectors for the taillight wiring connections. There is no way an AMP Multilock is anywhere on an unmodified from the factory bike. The taillight kit the OP is attempting to use is not originally intended for these bikes.

OP, take a pic of what you are hooking up and post it here. I added this stuff to my FLTRX with CVO rear fender and fascia with zero problems with a Ride Time Y-harness with Molex connectors.

I just looked at the instructions for the kit I presume you're installing and all you need to change is part 13, the Y-harness. Or just find someone who can change the connections to Molex. If you don't have the instructions do a google search with the part number and pdf and it should be your first search result.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Something's not right here. FLHXSE's use Molex connectors for the taillight wiring connections. There is no way an AMP Multilock is anywhere on an unmodified from the factory bike. The taillight kit the OP is attempting to use is not originally intended for these bikes.

It's an AMP Multilock.
Look at instruction sheet J05090 (Rev 2010-03-29), page 2, Figure 2 and it states:
Figure 2. AMP Six-way Pin Housing 73106-96BK.

Or

Look at step 4 on page 2:
"Get the six-way AMP housing ....."

I'll pull my seat and take a picture of it installed. It plugs right in on the FLHXSE2.
TIF2

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

It's an AMP Multilock.
Look at instruction sheet J05090 (Rev 2010-03-29), page 2, Figure 2 and it states:
Figure 2. AMP Six-way Pin Housing 73106-96BK.

Or

Look at step 4 on page 2:
"Get the six-way AMP housing ....."

I'll pull my seat and take a picture of it installed. It plugs right in on the FLHXSE2.

Ok, but what did you use for a Y-Harness? That's the part that needs Molex connectors on two legs and the AMP to go to the Tour Pak harness.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

The Y-Harness is included in the LED lightbar kit. The Y-Harness included with that kiy contains 2 legs with Amp Multilock connectors.
It attaches to the rear tailight harness and carries one side to the rear lights and the other side to the Tourpak.

Here is a pic ... you can see the harness and the one leg going to the Tourpak.
This is the same Y-harness that you mention as Number 13 in the install indtructions.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:00:38 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

The Y-Harness is included in the LED lightbar kit. The Y-Harness included with that kiy contains 2 legs with Amp Multilock connectors.
It attaches to the rear tailight harness and carries one side to the rear lights and the other side to the Tourpak.

Here is a pic ... you can see the harness and the one leg going to the Tourpak.
This is the same Y-harness that you mention as Number 13 in the install indtructions.

Did you install the Y? Or a shop?
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

You know?
That's a really good point. The dealer did my TP setup prior to delivery, and I did a R/T/B conversion on my brother's bike.

But ...

My brother's bike was a 2012 Ultra.
So what you're saying is the dealer cut the molex connectors off and reterminated them with miltilocks?
"cause I sure as heck have multilocks on that harness now.

Hmmmm ... well if that's the case at least they didn't charge me for the work  :)
Nor did they mention that they did the work.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:24:40 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I thought I had learned to never, EVER "assume" when it comes to H-D.

:)

Gotta go with the fact that the under seat connection is indeed a molex.
However, if you have the means available, I would do the install the same way - reterminate with multilocks and use the supplied Y-harness.

Greg (OP) - if you want to send me your Y-harness that was included in the kit I can reterminate that harness with molex MX150 connectors on the 2 legs that have multilocks.

Let me know
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 06:35:31 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Hi TIF2 and Thunderbueller, as you can imagine, I have been watching this converstaion very closely. TIF2, thanks for the picture. I am going to get my bike out in the sun and take a pic of the connection from the main harness to the tail light wiring harness. I can say without question, that mine is a pair of molex connectors without a doubt. The weird thing about the Y connector is that it is definitely AMP multilock on all three ends, which renders it worthles in connecting to the LED Tail light kit which does definitely have a molex connector. Obviously HD can't seem to figure out what they want to do. Talk about a cluster.  I am going to recheck the wire colors and positions of my molex connections and then compare to those on the Amp multilock Y and see if they will match up if the Amp multilock ends are changed to multilock. I gues HD wanted to make it difficult to add lights to a tourpak on CVO Street Glide, so they could sell more CVO Ultra Classics.
TIF2, thank you for your generous offer. The Y connector has to be all Molex since the LED Kit harness has Molex at the end that would go from the top of the right hand arm of the Y. Hopefully I'll have a better sense of what needs to be done by the end of today and we can talk more.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Thunderbueller, just took a few pictures of the molex connectors for my existing tail lights. Here's one of the ECM bay with taillight harness to the lower right of the picture. Have a few others to post and one or two of the HD molex wire harness with RTB module wired in from HD.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

This one shows where the wires split off to go to the left and right tail lights and the license plate light. Not the clearest picture, but you get the idea.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Here is a pic of the two Molex connectors joined together. The uper one with the brow and violet wires visible is what carries power to the tail lights and the and the license plate light. I am thinking a Molex Y connector needs to go in between these two connectors to provide power to the HD R/T/B module and the LED tourpak lights and to my existing tail lights.
The upper 8 pin Molex connector that goes to the existing tail lights has two rows of four pins each numbered 1 to 4 and 5 to 8. 1 to 4 is wired as follows:
1 brown wire;
2 blank or white plastic pin;
3 violet wire;
4 blank or white plastic pin;
5 black;
6 red with yellow stripe;
7 blue; and
8 blank or white plastic pin.
The wires coming off the main harness are arranged somewhat differently:
1 brown;
2 orange with white stripe;
3 violet;
4 blank or white plastic pin;
5 black;
6 red with yellow stripe;
7 blue; and
8 blank or white plastic pin.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

The part of the harness that goes to the rear fender LED lights and the license plate light is the same harness they used of the 2009 CVO Roadglide, which is the first time HD came out with the new style of fender and integrated tail lights in the fascia.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

Thunderbueller, just took a few pictures of the molex connectors for my existing tail lights. Here's one of the ECM bay with taillight harness to the lower right of the picture. Have a few others to post and one or two of the HD molex wire harness with RTB module wired in from HD.

It's at this junction where you would plug in the Y that goes to the TP. You don't need to concern yourself with left or right. Really, for the relatively low cost of it you can't beat Ride Time's Y harness.

TIF2's bike was modified to use the AMP Multilock connectors, thus modifying two much more expensive harnesses than just a Y that can be removed at any time and the bike is back to being completely stock. Thanks TIF2 for clearing this up. I was REALLY having some doubts.  :-\
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

I'd add the third leg of that Y IS AMP Multilock to go the TP harness, the 8-pin Molex that comes in the kit goes inside the TP. Look at the Figure 3 diagram in your instructions, the two unplugged ends are the ends that need to be Molex to plug in at the connection at the top post of this thread page that you posted.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Thanks again Thunderbueller, I did look at that in the instructions which clearly state the RTB module goes inside the TP, not under the saddle.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Really, for the relatively low cost of it you can't beat Ride Time's Y harness.

For the Ride Time harness - are you talking about the one that goes under the side cover? Or do they make one that connects between the molex connectors? If they make one with an MX150 interface, do you have the part number?

TIF2's bike was modified to use the AMP Multilock connectors, thus modifying two much more expensive harnesses than just a Y that can be removed at any time and the bike is back to being completely stock. Thanks TIF2 for clearing this up. I was REALLY having some doubts.  :-\

Would have been nice if they mentioned they would have to modify the connection from Molex to Multilock. I guess in the end it doesn't matter but I probably would have built my own MX150 Y-harness had I known. I may restore this over the winter if I need some busy work  :)

Of course, mine is now more like a CVO Ultra which may or may not be a good thing.   When I did the RTB conversion on my bro's 2012 CVO Ultra it went in exactly like my FLHXSE2 is wired. Can't decide which way is better over the long haul  :-\
TIF2

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

For the Ride Time harness - are you talking about the one that goes under the side cover? Or do they make one that connects between the molex connectors? If they make one with an MX150 interface, do you have the part number?

Would have been nice if they mentioned they would have to modify the connection from Molex to Multilock. I guess in the end it doesn't matter but I probably would have built my own MX150 Y-harness had I known. I may restore this over the winter if I need some busy work  :)

Of course, mine is now more like a CVO Ultra which may or may not be a good thing.   When I did the RTB conversion on my bro's 2012 CVO Ultra it went in exactly like my FLHXSE2 is wired. Can't decide which way is better over the long haul  :-\

The Ride Time module also is made for the Ultra so I swapped out the Y it comes with for one with Molex connectors, Keith was very accommodating and just did a straight-up swap for them, no charge. Also rather than use the part of the module wiring that would go to the harness under the side cover I had him make the Y to accept that part of the wiring too. So for me it all goes to the flat 6-pin AMP at the Y under the seat so I only have to unplug one plug for the lighting.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

^^
So Thunder - are you using the 3-wire connector under the side cover (even if those wires ultimately wind up in the single multilock for the TP harness)?

TIF2

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

^^
So Thunder - are you using the 3-wire connector under the side cover (even if those wires ultimately wind up in the single multilock for the TP harness)?

No. Those wires run with the harness that goes to the Y under the seat.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I seem to be getting more confused.
Is the connector under the side cover used by the Ride Time wiring, or is the RideTime simply a 2-connector Molex to single connector Multilock?

On my implementation, the 3-wire connector under the sidecover is open (not used), like it came from the factory.
I think it's time to pull my seat and see what's going on.
TIF2

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

I seem to be getting more confused.
Is the connector under the side cover used by the Ride Time wiring, it was intended to be wired that way or is the RideTime simply a 2-connector Molex to single connector Multilock? This is what I had made for mine to eliminate having to use the side cover connector.

On my implementation, the 3-wire connector under the sidecover is open (not used), like it came from the factory.
I think it's time to pull my seat and see what's going on.

Simply put part #13 in the instructions for the OP's kit has been changed to have the 2 Molex connectors to integrate into the taillight wiring and the third connector is an AMP Multilink to connect the wiring to the Tour Pak. To eliminate having to use the connector under the side cover I ran those two wires down to the Y instead. Like I said, Ride Time's kit was also intended for Ultra's. No one makes a complete plug-n-play setup for these bikes with removable TP's. Connector's have to be changed and accommodations have to be made. I wish it had been p-n-p.

I'd like to hear from gg to see if this is helping at all. If not I'm bowing out.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

^^
Sorry for all the questions, but that is exactly what I'm trying to do.
I have all the info I need now to build a plug-n-play Y-harness. No other connections needed (it will act exaclty like they do for Ultra's).

Opposite gender Molex MX150 to interface to the bike, a single Multilock for the TP harness.
Just have to ge the wire and Multilock connectors in and I can do some prototypes.

I would have had them done sooner but (silly me) I thought these bikes used an Ultra setup.
Stay tuned
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

ThunderBueller and TIF2, this has definitely helped me and I do now have a far better understanding of what needs to be done. As you said ThunderBueller, the base and the left arm of the Y harness need to be Molex connectors wired to mimic the existing Molex connector tail light wiring setup. The base and the left arm of the Y will connect the main harness coming out of the frame to the existing tail light harness that goes into and on either side of the fender. The other arm that will go to the tourpak needs to be wired using an AMP lock connector. Thank you so much for hanging in there with me to help figure this out.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

ThunderBueller and TIF2, this has definitely helped me and I do now have a far better understanding of what needs to be done. As you said ThunderBueller, the base and the left arm of the Y harness need to be Molex connectors wired to mimic the existing Molex connector tail light wiring setup. The base and the left arm of the Y will connect the main harness coming out of the frame to the existing tail light harness that goes into and on either side of the fender. The other arm that will go to the tourpak needs to be wired using an AMP lock connector. Thank you so much for hanging in there with me to help figure this out.

You got it!!  :drink:
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

^^
Sorry for all the questions, but that is exactly what I'm trying to do.
I have all the info I need now to build a plug-n-play Y-harness. No other connections needed (it will act exaclty like they do for Ultra's).

Opposite gender Molex MX150 to interface to the bike, a single Multilock for the TP harness.
Just have to get the wire and Multilock connectors in and I can do some prototypes.

I would have had them done sooner but (silly me) I thought these bikes used an Ultra setup.
Stay tuned

No problem. I thought I was just leading to more confusion.  :-\

I'd post a picture but half my harness is jammed down by the fusebox and it took me forever to get it back in there in the first place. Considering how many people have been doing this I can't believe there hasn't been a part made by the Moco to address the situation. I hate cutting factory wiring so what they did with yours was out of the question for me.
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3

Hi, I had the same problem when I came up against the Molex connectors on my bike and making a y-harness to run my tour pak lights and run wires to a trailer plug in. What I did was buy a Molex harness from Electrical Connections, I believe it was under $20.00, that had four wires coming off of it for plugging into a isolator for my trailer wiring. I soldered off these wires(the four wires going to the trailer) the necessary wires to run the tour pak wires (running, stop, left and right turn), I just had to run a ground from the harness to the tour pak lights to make up the five wires necessary to run the tour pak lights and buy the amp connector and the pins to connect up to the tour pak. So what I have is a harness that runs my tour pak and also runs my trailer lights that can all be unplugged when I want to take off the tour pak, or remove the trailer wiring in case of warranty work. It took alot of research because of the connectors and the electrical and service manuals came in handy, especially the wiring diagrams. Also, I had to take apart one of the connectors on the Electrical Connection harness(part #07673) and turned it 90 degrees because the plugs didn't coincide with the functions (a mistake at their factory) so had to take the plug apart and turn the housing so everything would match up, a jeweler's screwdriver came in handy. I don't think I could have made the molex plug with the pins unless one had the necessary crimpers, I had the amp crimpers for the tourpak amp end and that was hard enough, but that Molex setup would be a bit@%.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm

I pasted the above link but it doesn't have a clear picture of the piece I ordered but what it will look like is the Molex male and female plugs to go between your harness under your seat with four wires coming of the harness for the stop, running, left and right turn lights. Find the ground in the Electrical Connection harness wiring (there will be two black wires, find the one that plugs into the ground of your harness on your bike) and solder and heat shrink a ground "pigtail" to go to the tour pak amp plug with the other four wires I mentioned above. Then you'll have five wires. When I get home I'll take a picture of the harness so you can get an idea of what I made but I'm sure you can picture it from my description. Hope it helps a little.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I hate cutting factory wiring so what they did with yours was out of the question for me.

Couldn't agree with you more and had I known they were going to do it that way ....  >:(
I have everything on the way to make this a plug and play install.
It simply replaces the Y-Harness that is included in the kit with the same one made for The Road/Street Glide rear LED setup.
Everything will be properly color-coded just like the part for the Ultra.

I'll post back up once I have some ready to ship.
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

TIF2, I'd very much like to see what you get done if you can post a picture or two on this topic thread. Thanks

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I will as soon as I get them done.
It will be an EXACT duplicate of the Ultra part (the part number for that is 79033-10 btw) but for the Road/Street Glide LED setup.

I have the HD-41609 crimp tool on order ... Dealer says a week but it took 7 weeks for me to get the MX150 crimper.

:(

We'll see and hopefully 1 week is right!

TIF2

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint

Tif2,

If you are making the harness that you are talking about, I'll take one.  2012 FLHXSE3
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Tif2,

If you are making the harness that you are talking about, I'll take one.  2012 FLHXSE3

They WILL be made ... just a matter of time to get the items needed.
The Ultra part 79033-10 is $25.

My Harness?   $25

Sound fair?
TIF2

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension

Tif2.. will you confirm what it is that your harness is intended for ??
  Thanx

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

The harness will allow for plug-n-play hookup of a Tour Pak LED lightbar kit (or any other Tour Pack lighting) on a Road/Street Glide with the frenched LED lights.
It will connect up to the Road/Street Glide rear tail-light and turnsignal main harness that is under the seat - then provide an additional connector to route those signals into the Tour Pak for Run/Turn/Brake function (provided you have the LED RTB module).

If you're not adding lights to a Tour Pak ... it's not of much use. I suppose it could be used to run Lid Spoiler LEDs, but you'd probably need a module for them to act as R/T/B. I'd need to look at that.

TIF2

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint

Sounds Good, I'll send you a personal message.
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Almost there ....
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 02:02:07 AM »

Just wanted to bump this thread.

Some of the stuff is here .... annoying waiting on the rest! :)
Hopefully I can post up some pics no later than next Friday.
If all goes well I should be able to send these out starting on Monday, the 23rd for anyone that needs it.

Sorry for the delay - had I known they would already be available.
It's gonna be a sweet solution ....
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Good morning Tif2. Looking forward to seeing the solution. Guess HD did not want people adding tourpaks with lights to the SESG, so that's why they did not make a Molex based Y harness. Anyhow, I appreciate what you're doing, because from what I have read in the HD service manual for touring bikes, the Molex connectors are supposedly waterproof, where the AMP lock is not. Anyhow, thanks again for your effort.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Ask and ye shall receive ...
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »

Well - for a Y-Harness anyway :)

I think I understand now why H-D doesn't offer these as a P&A part, they are not the easiest to build and I doubt you could do them on machine.

Some notes:
This harness allows for plug-n-play install of RTB function on an SESG or Road Glide SE when installing an LED lightbar for a King Tour Pak. It replaces the Y-Harness included in the kit. Simply use this harness instead of the included harness and follow the remaining instructions.

Let me know what you think.
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Resloved !!
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »

Another ...

TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

And just in case folks think I have some super-secret H-D part number - here is a pic of building them. You really can't tell they didn't come from Mother-MOCO herself.  :)

I can probably start sending them out on Monday if anybody needs one.
Feedback is always welcome!
TIF2

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

my king TP just showed up.. I think Im gonna leave it plain and just put it on when i travel... Rich,  you can go into the harness business,,,they look that good... :2vrolijk_21:  Seems very complicated to me.. :confused5:

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

my king TP just showed up.. I think Im gonna leave it plain and just put it on when i travel...

I hear ya Stu.
That's what I said (originally) as well.

TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

:2vrolijk_21:  Seems very complicated to me.. :confused5:

That was the whole point of this endeavor ... it's easy-peasy now.
Follow the H-D install instructions for the LED Lightbar kit - use this Y-Harness instead of the included Y-harness.

Done.
TIF2

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

sounds too good to be true,, but I gotta belive you... I just got my KTP this week.  knowing me, Ill be getting hold of you one of these days for a Tif Speacial Harness..Its too new to start drilling into.. :'( :o   stuart
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:26:57 AM by cvostu »

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Greg  -

What solution did you wind up going with?
I'd appreciate your comments on what you decided to do. It might help others out.

Are you still "un-resolved"?
Let me know how I can help ...
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Hi TIF2, haven't done anything yet and have not made up my mind.
I sent Keith from Ridetime Technology a bunch of PDF's containing the detailed wiring schematics for the 2011 SESG tail light harness and the HD LED Tail Light assembly. Keith then made up and sent me a sample harness to evaluate for him and I hope to try it this weekend.
The local HD dealer's electrical tech favors me using the existing Y harness from the HD LED tail light kit, which uses AMP lock connectors instead of molex connectors. The tech said he would convert the Molex connections to AMP lock so the HD Y harness is plug and play with the HD LED Tail light wire harness. They said it would be about an hour's labor to change out the Molex connectors to AMP locks.
The third option would be the harness you have been working on.
Hopefully I will know more after this weekend and can make a decision.
Thanks for asking and I will get back to you.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Cool ... let us know what pans out.
Can you post a pic of the RT harness?
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Hi TIF2, I'll take pics and try to post this weekend. I have tried posting pics in the past w/o success, but will try again. Also, I'd like to go ahead and get one of your harnesses since it looks like it's a direct match to the existing connectors. How do we do this? Check, paypal, cashola?

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

^^
Just PM your address and I'll send you one. We can settle up once you're happy. No worries at all here.
Mine will not only work, but it will look like it "belongs there" (lol).

I'd really appreciate feedback on your install.

Just as a side note ...
The H-D Y-Harness contains an Orange/White wire. Mine does not have that (nor does the harness on the bike).
The Or/Wht wire is used on HD-I models (International) only. It has no functionality on Domestic models.

I can provide a harness for our International Brothers but I'll need to get some Or/Wht wire in.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 06:19:27 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Hi TIF2, I noticed the O/W wire too. There are 6 wires total coming off the main harness under the seat. In numeric order they are 1: brown; 2:orange/white; 3:violet; 4:empty; 5:black; 6:red/yellow; 7:blue; and 8:empty. Sending PM now. Thanks

gg

• Elite CVO Member

TIF2, I should add that the molex connector with wires to the tail light wiring harness and light assemblies only has 5 wires. Like you said it does not make use of the Orange/white striped wire coming off the other side of the Molex connector pair. For the Molex connector to the tail lights, the wire order is 1:brown; 2:blank or plugged; 3:violet; 4:blank or plugged; 5:black; 6:red w/ yellow strip; 7:blue; and 8:blank or plugged.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Harness on the way to you Greg.
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Great, thanks.

gg

• Elite CVO Member

Re: Unresolved removable Tourpak LED Wiring Issue with 2011 CVO Street Glide
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2012, 04:38:15 PM »

Harness recieved and as Rich promised, it is plug and play and looks like HD factory equipment. Will try to take a picture so all can see it installed and get an idea of how it works. Thanks again Rich.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2012, 05:20:21 PM »

Glad to help and glad it worked out.
Ride safe Greg.
TIF2

Rocketman69

• Mr. Roboto
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXCUSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2012, 01:46:40 PM »

TIF,

I sent you a PM regarding this issue.

-Gib
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 21 queries.