Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Unresolved removable Tourpak LED Wiring Issue with 2011 CVO Street Glide  (Read 8876 times)

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

ThunderBueller and TIF2, this has definitely helped me and I do now have a far better understanding of what needs to be done. As you said ThunderBueller, the base and the left arm of the Y harness need to be Molex connectors wired to mimic the existing Molex connector tail light wiring setup. The base and the left arm of the Y will connect the main harness coming out of the frame to the existing tail light harness that goes into and on either side of the fender. The other arm that will go to the tourpak needs to be wired using an AMP lock connector. Thank you so much for hanging in there with me to help figure this out.

You got it!!  :drink:
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

ThunderBueller

• Full CVO Member

^^
Sorry for all the questions, but that is exactly what I'm trying to do.
I have all the info I need now to build a plug-n-play Y-harness. No other connections needed (it will act exaclty like they do for Ultra's).

Opposite gender Molex MX150 to interface to the bike, a single Multilock for the TP harness.
Just have to get the wire and Multilock connectors in and I can do some prototypes.

I would have had them done sooner but (silly me) I thought these bikes used an Ultra setup.
Stay tuned

No problem. I thought I was just leading to more confusion.  :-\

I'd post a picture but half my harness is jammed down by the fusebox and it took me forever to get it back in there in the first place. Considering how many people have been doing this I can't believe there hasn't been a part made by the Moco to address the situation. I hate cutting factory wiring so what they did with yours was out of the question for me.
2010 FLTRX--Primo paint set
2005 FXSTB--Sold!
2003 XL1200C--Sold
2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt--Sold

Wanted--black Rumble collection saddlebag latches.

Big Dog

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3

Hi, I had the same problem when I came up against the Molex connectors on my bike and making a y-harness to run my tour pak lights and run wires to a trailer plug in. What I did was buy a Molex harness from Electrical Connections, I believe it was under $20.00, that had four wires coming off of it for plugging into a isolator for my trailer wiring. I soldered off these wires(the four wires going to the trailer) the necessary wires to run the tour pak wires (running, stop, left and right turn), I just had to run a ground from the harness to the tour pak lights to make up the five wires necessary to run the tour pak lights and buy the amp connector and the pins to connect up to the tour pak. So what I have is a harness that runs my tour pak and also runs my trailer lights that can all be unplugged when I want to take off the tour pak, or remove the trailer wiring in case of warranty work. It took alot of research because of the connectors and the electrical and service manuals came in handy, especially the wiring diagrams. Also, I had to take apart one of the connectors on the Electrical Connection harness(part #07673) and turned it 90 degrees because the plugs didn't coincide with the functions (a mistake at their factory) so had to take the plug apart and turn the housing so everything would match up, a jeweler's screwdriver came in handy. I don't think I could have made the molex plug with the pins unless one had the necessary crimpers, I had the amp crimpers for the tourpak amp end and that was hard enough, but that Molex setup would be a bit@%.

http://www.electricalconnection.com/wire-harnesses/hrns-trailer.htm

I pasted the above link but it doesn't have a clear picture of the piece I ordered but what it will look like is the Molex male and female plugs to go between your harness under your seat with four wires coming of the harness for the stop, running, left and right turn lights. Find the ground in the Electrical Connection harness wiring (there will be two black wires, find the one that plugs into the ground of your harness on your bike) and solder and heat shrink a ground "pigtail" to go to the tour pak amp plug with the other four wires I mentioned above. Then you'll have five wires. When I get home I'll take a picture of the harness so you can get an idea of what I made but I'm sure you can picture it from my description. Hope it helps a little.
Randy D
Kristie D, Angel on my shoulders, October 10, 1973-April 16, 2009

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD

I hate cutting factory wiring so what they did with yours was out of the question for me.

Couldn't agree with you more and had I known they were going to do it that way ....  >:(
I have everything on the way to make this a plug and play install.
It simply replaces the Y-Harness that is included in the kit with the same one made for The Road/Street Glide rear LED setup.
Everything will be properly color-coded just like the part for the Ultra.

I'll post back up once I have some ready to ship.
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)

TIF2, I'd very much like to see what you get done if you can post a picture or two on this topic thread. Thanks

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I will as soon as I get them done.
It will be an EXACT duplicate of the Ultra part (the part number for that is 79033-10 btw) but for the Road/Street Glide LED setup.

I have the HD-41609 crimp tool on order ... Dealer says a week but it took 7 weeks for me to get the MX150 crimper.

:(

We'll see and hopefully 1 week is right!

TIF2

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint

Tif2,

If you are making the harness that you are talking about, I'll take one.  2012 FLHXSE3
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Tif2,

If you are making the harness that you are talking about, I'll take one.  2012 FLHXSE3

They WILL be made ... just a matter of time to get the items needed.
The Ultra part 79033-10 is $25.

My Harness?   $25

:)

Sound fair?
TIF2

barefoot3zk5

• Elite CVO Member
  • I used to be a KRYPTO.. Now I'm 1 OF 1

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSEII Dragula 2/1 exh.. Performance Mach airbox..Metalsports 26" front wheel w/6piston singleside brake 13" rotor and matched 18" rear 200 tire..TTS tuner by DOC .. Woods cams and Hi comp pistons.. 600 LEDs hidden PLUS, SONY head unit and gauges all green LEDs to match,500watt ARC amp w/4 Focal6.5 spkrs,Install by Peter @SOUNDZ .. Yafee tag frame . chrome inner/outer primary. greeen gator seat/backrest ..major engine mods 125+ HP and powder coated heads/cyl and diamond cut. homemade rear air suspension

Tif2.. will you confirm what it is that your harness is intended for ??
  Thanx

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

The harness will allow for plug-n-play hookup of a Tour Pak LED lightbar kit (or any other Tour Pack lighting) on a Road/Street Glide with the frenched LED lights.
It will connect up to the Road/Street Glide rear tail-light and turnsignal main harness that is under the seat - then provide an additional connector to route those signals into the Tour Pak for Run/Turn/Brake function (provided you have the LED RTB module).

If you're not adding lights to a Tour Pak ... it's not of much use. I suppose it could be used to run Lid Spoiler LEDs, but you'd probably need a module for them to act as R/T/B. I'd need to look at that.

:)
TIF2

CowboyBagger

• 1K CVO Member
  • Standing on the Corner!
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: FLTRKSEANV Heritage paint

Sounds Good, I'll send you a personal message.
From an ocean tide, to an 8 second ride! Life is a ride, so make it a good one.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Almost there ....
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2012, 02:02:07 AM »

Just wanted to bump this thread.

Some of the stuff is here .... annoying waiting on the rest! :)
Hopefully I can post up some pics no later than next Friday.
If all goes well I should be able to send these out starting on Monday, the 23rd for anyone that needs it.

Sorry for the delay - had I known they would already be available.
It's gonna be a sweet solution ....
TIF2

gg

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange & Black
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE2 (Traded for 09 CUSE4) CUSE4 Sold 2012
    • CVO3: FXSTDSEI/ FLHRSEI2 (SOLD 2005)

Good morning Tif2. Looking forward to seeing the solution. Guess HD did not want people adding tourpaks with lights to the SESG, so that's why they did not make a Molex based Y harness. Anyhow, I appreciate what you're doing, because from what I have read in the HD service manual for touring bikes, the Molex connectors are supposedly waterproof, where the AMP lock is not. Anyhow, thanks again for your effort.

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Ask and ye shall receive ...
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »

Well - for a Y-Harness anyway :)

I think I understand now why H-D doesn't offer these as a P&A part, they are not the easiest to build and I doubt you could do them on machine.

Some notes:
This harness allows for plug-n-play install of RTB function on an SESG or Road Glide SE when installing an LED lightbar for a King Tour Pak. It replaces the Y-Harness included in the kit. Simply use this harness instead of the included harness and follow the remaining instructions.

Let me know what you think.
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Resloved !!
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 06:58:53 PM »

Another ...

TIF2
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.