Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: First things First - what to do ?  (Read 1539 times)

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
First things First - what to do ?
« on: August 27, 2006, 08:38:01 AM »

OK, the fellows down at Liberty Harley say my new 07 SE Sprgr is coming in this week. That's a good thing. What's the general concensus amoung those that have had a little experiance regarding the first /immediate fixes/changes you should do.
Back in the earlier Evo days, it was a SE air cleaner, slip ons, and a SE re-jet kit---pretty straight forward and about 10-15 horse for small $$
That was then - what's now?
Replace the filter with a K&N? Wires OK? Coil?
All I really want to see / hear is a little more sound and hopefully 95/100 rear wheel HP/TQ ---can this happen or am I just wishing? Liberty's parts guys are unsure regarding a SE slip on for a new 07 - if it's even available - I'm pretty sure the CVO guys at MOCO at Sturgis said they were and called them Street Legal SE or something to that effect.
Hey, I'm just a beer salesman for Coors - not a computer expert - so I don't claim to know much about "mapping"
Anyone find out anything pertinant for an 07 give me a shout
I've ridden bikes that had similiar power output to what I'm looking for and thought they ran well enough to keep me happy - I just don't want / need to spend $5000 to say I have 120 HP and race Ducati's and such...been there before and it always ends with me getting tickets and scaring myself on the first down hill, off camber, decreasing radius corner.
Yeah - I know - pictures -soon
Brad Sutter -----bradley.sutter@coors.com
2008 FLHX, 1997 FLSTS, 1982 BMW R65

Flying Ace

• Senior CVO Member
  • IBA#10357

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE
Re: First things First - what to do ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 08:43:25 PM »

Need beer first..
CVO Limited

robbiederups

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 03:12:39 PM »

Hi FXSTSSE owner soon to be,
For ref. data I collect model/engines codes of all Harleys, since 1970. Since the CVO bikes do not come overseas yet I was wondering if you could provide me the code of your new bike. That would be the 5th, 6th and 7th digit of the bikes VIN. So, the three digits right after 1 H D 1 ...
Thanks a lot and enjoy the ride,
Rob
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:12:59 PM by robbiederups »

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 10:37:29 PM »

Well you need to find an exhaust system that you like. Good looks and good sound and look for more performance. Next would be the SE or Zippers air cleaner. After that you need to look at fuel injection mangement. Look at Zippers Thunder Max ECM. I am not sure when the new maps will be ready. They may be able to hook you up on exhaust, air cleaner and your map at the same time. Mention you are a member of the site to get a discount on your purchase.

The new Thunder Max with the o2 sensors is due to be released any time. I have not talked to anyone down there in a week so I don't have an exact date.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

txbear55

• Full CVO Member
  • IBA
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 11:03:24 PM »

Hey Beerman....Congrats on the new ride!  I guess the rest of the forum is holding out for some suds  [smiley=drink.gif]  Most of us start mods with hi flow a/c, pipes(aftermarket), and remap of computer....usually good for 10-15 hp.  From there gets a lot more expensive,  but hey, sell more beer! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 07:37:16 PM »

Exhaust, air cleaner and race tuner or power commander. My 2cents.

Liberty in Akron?

hogasm

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 01:49:46 PM »

Exhaust, air cleaner and race tuner or power commander. My 2cents.

Liberty in Akron?

With the new O2 sensor, am I right or wrong in thinking that you do not need a power commander. The computer makes the changes on it's own? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 04:30:21 PM »

With the new O2 sensor, am I right or wrong in thinking that you do not need a power commander. The computer makes the changes on it's own? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

The computer has a base map. It can only move the fuel curve slightly. With a PC or Thunder Max you still have a base map for your mods but it will be quite a bit more than your stock ECM. You will have timing and fuel increases and it will tune from there. Your base map still has to be setup for your mods

Your stock computer can only do so much and timing is not moved from factory settings. It will still supply your timing and fuel to meet EPA specs.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 09:09:28 AM »

Thanks for the advise so far. You should know that the bike seems to come with a SE aircleaner already. That is, the unit on the bike is open in the back and has no plastic backing plate like a stock bike.
Yes, Liberty in Akron, Ohio. I bought a 1987 FXR there 20 years ago ( ended up on the cover of American Iron a few years later with that one ) and a 1994 Road King as well. They are all of 10 minutes from my house so it's pretty handy
The fellows at South East Harley in Cleveland yesterday told me that just to put on SE slip ons for 2007 would require a ECM and down load essentially boosting the total cost to around $800 ! He then mentioned that the bike would not sound much different though, that the SE pipes for 07 are really quiet but make more Torque than stock - guess I'll wait and see for now.
GOt the bike yesterday, so it's obviously raining Ernesto today! Hopefully Sun/Mon are better. Sure runs great though, put about 100 on it Friday afternoon. FInd myself in 4th alot because 5th sounds a little wierd? Only saw 6th a couple time for a few miles ( break in time you know )
Roll ons in 1st or 2nd are pretty amazing. I drag raced Harleys in the mid 70's that weren't much faster! I'm curious about just how far the stock ECM will adjust ( like for slip ons )

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 09:21:47 AM »

hogasm,

The system on the '07's is similar to the one on your car or truck - its only purpose in life is to meet emissions regulations by controlling the A/F within very narrow limits.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 09:36:30 AM »

................................The fellows at South East Harley in Cleveland yesterday told me that just to put on SE slip ons for 2007 would require a ECM and down load essentially boosting the total cost to around $800 ! He then mentioned that the bike would not sound much different though, that the [highlight]SE pipes for 07 are really quiet[/highlight] but make more Torque than stock - guess I'll wait and see for now.
GOt the bike yesterday, so it's obviously raining Ernesto today! Hopefully Sun/Mon are better. Sure runs great though, put about 100 on it Friday afternoon. FInd myself in 4th alot because 5th sounds a little wierd? Only saw 6th a couple time for a few miles ( break in time you know )
Roll ons in 1st or 2nd are pretty amazing. I drag raced Harleys in the mid 70's that weren't much faster! I'm [highlight]curious about just how far the stock ECM will adjust ( like for slip ons )[/highlight]
beerman,

Harley has been beating the drum about noise for a few years at least, and has stopped selling pipes that are louder than the legal maximum.
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 07:58:15 PM »

the saga continues !!
I stopped down at Canton Cycle and found they are a virtual barrel of knowledge on the whole ECM/PC/SERT thing.
Nice to know, since I've been running around with these fellows of and on for 20 + years
They say go get any set of slip ons I want and they'll have a Map from PComd that will work or they will write one. Affordable as well
So that said - break it in - change the oil - ride it awhile and then find some slip ons,

beerman

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 10:59:12 AM »

here's what the she looks like sitting waiting for the rain to let up

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 22 queries.