Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: H.O.G. Members Data Compromised  (Read 3473 times)

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
H.O.G. Members Data Compromised
« on: September 23, 2006, 04:24:53 PM »

I just received in the mail today a 'Personal Information Advisory' from the
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 04:36:11 PM by EZRIDN »
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: H.O.G. Members Data Compromised
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2006, 05:03:53 PM »

Geessh!!!! :o >:( Thanks for the information. I didn't receive this email and it's probably because I've never used my credit card to pay my annual dues.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2006, 05:09:00 PM »

I've received no such notice.  Haven't had to renew for quite some time, however, as the life thing was done quite some time ago.  Have added a "guest" or "associate" or whatever the hell people you're dating for awhile and take to rallies are called.  So they've certainly had the data at some time.

I'm probably ok though.  Missouri re-issued DL numbers awhile back so it's not the same as it was when last used with HOG and I request a change of credit card numbers for the couple of cards I have every 18 months or so so history never stays too fresh.  Can still get hosed though.  Being compromised is never any further than someone's innocent mistake away.  So we just have to cover our butts as best we can.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2006, 06:08:18 PM »

Just to clarify, this notice came via postal mail...not email.
"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

MJZ

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 SEEG is on permanent vacation in CA.
    • CVO2: 09 BMW K1300S
    • CVO3: 2010 BMW S1000RR
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 06:22:48 PM »

Looks like my life membership has finally proven to be worth something. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 01:24:42 PM »

Looks like my life membership has finally proven to be worth something. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Mine tooooo

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 04:56:38 PM »

Got my letter today. :( Fortunately I already have credit monitoring and other things in place to avoid credit identity theft.

For those of you that are life members you may still be at risk. The letter states...

[highlight]"The laptop containing the information was reported missing by a Harley-Davidson employee on Monday, August 14, 2006. H.O.G. member data is on file to facilitate registration at H.O.G. events."[/highlight][/i]

It goes on further to say.....

[highlight]"At the same time, we have sent a personal letter to approximately 60,000 H.O.G. members who have been affected (including you) because the file contained either a credit card and/or drivers license number."[/highlight][/i]

This would lead me to believe that my information got on this computer from one of the H.O.G. events I have attended. So even though you are a life member if you have attended a H.O.G. event you may be receiving this letter also.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 08:39:31 PM »

Got the letter today; or at least a version of it.  If someone's specifically said their letter told them their credit card number and driver's license number had been compromised mine actually is a little different.  While it offers the credit security stuff mentioned elsewhere the letter specifically says only the drivers license number was compromised in my case.  Good news, as part of new security protocols my state changed all the drivers licenses with license reissue so mine is different than it was when HOG got it.  Bad news, the number HOG had came from when drivers license number was also the social security number.

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 06:57:19 PM »

Twolane,
    That's a biggie. I can imagine that several years ago,  broadcasting one's social security number probably wasn't a big deal,   but with all the ID theft going on today....no wonder they changed it.  Keep an eye on your stuff.....

_Beagle
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 12:37:37 AM »

Twolane,

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 01:02:06 AM »

Just be thankful that they are notifying you!!  By federal law, they are required to inform you if you're information is "compromised."  I've been in this situation myself in the last year and it is a sickening feeling to know you're about to tell thousands of people "your information has been compromised."  However, it's better than the alternative.  At least you have the opportunity to PREVENT identity theft which is much better than trying to RECOVER from it!!  It took me three years and the help of Clark Howard to straighten out the mess a check-out clerk at Walmart created in the mid-90's by using the info on my check to get a job and buy a car!

I am actually surprised that they are paying for credit monitoring!  That's a big plus for them!!  
Anyone that gets the letter should take them up on the offer.  If you do not, you've relieved them of all obligation to help you rectify the situation if someone does choose to use your SSN or DL.  
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2006, 08:28:08 AM »

Got my letter today. :( Fortunately I already have credit monitoring and other things in place to avoid credit identity theft.

For those of you that are life members you may still be at risk. The letter states...

[highlight]"The laptop containing the information was reported missing by a Harley-Davidson employee on Monday, August 14, 2006. H.O.G. member data is on file to facilitate registration at H.O.G. events."[/highlight][/i]

It goes on further to say.....

[highlight]"At the same time, we have sent a personal letter to approximately 60,000 H.O.G. members who have been affected (including you) because the file contained either a credit card and/or drivers license number."[/highlight][/i]

This would lead me to believe that my information got on this computer from one of the H.O.G. events I have attended. So even though you are a life member if you have attended a H.O.G. event you may be receiving this letter also.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

Doesn't this seem like a recurring theme? I get a letter from the VA, letters for HD. Who is watching all this information? Why are they using laptops and not PC's that you can't walk out the door with? This is more BS! [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Why isn't there a little more care taken with this stuff!

[smiley=soapbox.gif]
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2006, 08:51:59 AM »

Yes, that is a shame that identity theft is on the rise and the info is getting easier and easier to get.
Have you seen the ads for a national medical database that some medical organization is pushing for? It will make it easy for any doctor or medical staff to pull up your medical records to look for allergies or other problems if you are injured and sick while traveling and to confer with your regular doctors on treatment. Very convienient not having to fill out those patient history forms everywhere you go but think of all the personal info contained on those forms including your lab results.
I hate to think of the chances for tampering,disclosure or theft of that data.
I agree with the earlier statement about laptops. We loose security for convienience in many cases.
Maybe the MOCO should use the new alarm system they have on the 2007 bikes on their computers? Operator has a keyfob and if they walk away from laptop the alarm is activated and computer is disabled. 8-)

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2006, 01:21:23 PM »

.... .... Maybe the MOCO should use the new alarm system they have on the 2007 bikes on their computers? Operator has a keyfob and if they [highlight]walk away from laptop the alarm is activated[/highlight] and computer is disabled. 8-)
Great idea... add a LoJack while yer at it, and track it?  nah, too simple.
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Special_Ed

• 1K CVO Member
  • Member#2263 DSPP#136,543,099
    • CVO2: 05' VRSCSE - sold
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2006, 01:26:30 PM »

Great idea... add a LoJack while yer at it, and track it?
"Looks like we got a date with Destiny and she's ordering the lobstah..."

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2006, 01:53:31 PM »

I too got THE letter.  Tried to use the free service to track credit but the promo code supplied wouldn't work.  Called hog customer service put on hold for 15-20 minutes and was advised,  "Very sorry it happened," and was read a prepared statement.  When I asked questions he asked if I wanted him to read the statement again.  Got pissed and asked that a policy maker call me back.  
A day later got a call back and was advised the same thing.  When I asked the question was the lap top misplaced or stolen she read the same press release "it was missing."  When I asked about the problem with the promo code she conceded it didn't work but it is fixed now.  

I asked why they stored that info on the laptop. Was told to "facilitate registration at events."  She asked if I wanted the info removed  and I said of course.  I then asked if that will that create a problem for event registration in the future.  Curiously, she said no.  I then asked why did you keep the info in the first place.  She said it was really to facilitate  renting bikes under the fly and ride program and was of little or no use at HOG events.  They will no longer have this info at future events.      

I am still upset and feel those effected should receive addtl compensation for their time and who knows how much future trouble.  
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

4stars

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2006, 04:13:46 PM »

Got my letter.  I was angry, at first, that they kept my credit card number and drivers' license number stored together in their portable unsecured database.

I do appreciate the extra effort they have gone to:

1. Notify us (and rather quickly, not waiting 'to see if it shows up' like some other agencies)
2. the expense of credit monitoring furnished to the top 3 credit reporting agencies.
3. Insurance protection just in case something happens.

Its bad that it happened.  There are no excuses.  BUT, at least they have admitted their mistake, taken action and done everything possible to try and make it right.  This may turn out to be all in vain when a couple of kids turn up with the laptop somewhere, but Harley stood up and did the ethical thing.  I appreciate ethics, and for that, they are to be commended.

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
    • NE

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2006, 05:20:59 PM »

I too got THE letter.

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2006, 08:43:59 PM »

I wasn't made aware of this option when I called the next business day to complain about the invalid code.

Ceej

• HD C-ustomer V-ery O-ften
  • Elite CVO Member
  • You've found CVOHarley.com, Now seek counseling...
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2006, 09:32:48 PM »

FYI - the info in question belongs to those members who have opted for the Auto-Renew feature via credit card. If thats not you, you should be OK....so they say....FWIW
2004 SEEG
1995 FLHR
2000 FLSTF
1968 RSSS

Eagle Rider #1747

There really is a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown........:)

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2006, 09:57:59 PM »

FYI - the info in question belongs to those members who have opted for the Auto-Renew feature via credit card. If thats not you, you should be OK....so they say....FWIW
I sent them my credit card with expire date and 3-digit code from the back, ss number, birth date, finger print, some DNA, signature sample, full frontal nudity picture, passport, drivers license, first born male child, HOG number, AARP number, bank account number, password, PIN, secret ring decoder, and a floppy with my email list. I didn't get no letter.
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2006, 10:15:28 PM »

I sent them my credit card with expire date and 3-digit code from the back, ss number, birth date, finger print, some DNA, signature sample, full frontal nudity picture, passport, drivers license, first born male child, HOG number, AARP number, bank account number, password, PIN, secret ring decoder, and a floppy with my email list. I didn't get no letter.
You sent them to much information, and they are going to let us all go shopping before they send you the letter. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2006, 10:29:07 PM »

You sent them to much information, and they are going to let us all go shopping before they send you the letter. ;D

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
;D ;D ;Dyourself, d00d. There's nothing left for you to buy... you got it ALL! Besides, the full frontal nudity picture would be a dead giveaway.      (no thong) :-[

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2006, 11:47:16 PM »

I got their Fkin letter too....
course, i also got one from the VA, the Army, the pope; Ford, and damn near every other JACKASS organization I have entrusted with ANY information and then they see fit to let some IDJUT keep on an unsecured laptop { probably on the bar at the hootie bar} and poof..it goes missing!
Go Figure.

[smiley=furious2.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif]

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2006, 01:55:20 AM »

I got my letter 2 days ago. I'm a life member so that rules us in. One thing I don't understand is how they got my driver license number. I have never given that information to HD that I know of. Unless when the dealer sell the bike they enter it somehow???????

Bad thing is I received 2 letters in same week one from HD and one from work. Both computer loss issues, go figure!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 01:55:43 AM by hdbrad03 »
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2006, 09:46:38 AM »

I got my letter 2 days ago. I'm a life member so that rules us in. One thing I don't understand is how they got my driver license number. I have never given that information to HD that I know of. Unless when the dealer sell the bike they enter it somehow???????

Bad thing is I received 2 letters in same week one from HD and one from work. Both computer loss issues, go figure!   :o

They claim to have acquired it when a member does a "fly and ride"
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

harleyteam

• 1K CVO Member
  • RED BIKES RULE

• CVO1: 07 SERK - Razor Red
    • CVO2: 90 Heritage Classic (non cvo)
    • CVO3: 75 XLCH (non cvo)
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2006, 02:20:27 PM »

full frontal nudity, and a floppy,  - all in the same sentence ;D

been a life member since 1990.  only upgraded info I've given them since, is that I'm still alive , and my present address.  I didn't get no stinking letter!

HA, HA, HA,  ,,,,, I LIKE IT !!!!!!!

life member - National HOG - NRA - NY Abate
member -CVOHarley - Nia. Falls Chapter HOG
              Red Knights NY21 - PGR

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2006, 06:06:57 PM »

I just received in the mail today a 'Personal Information Advisory' from the

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2006, 07:29:21 PM »

This has most likely been mentioned before but here goes:

Go to the H.O.G web site and log in there you will find your complete answer to your Question, You got a letter because you renewed your mebership online (ONLY IF YOU USE THE AUTO MEMBERSHIP RENEWEL) which would have given them your CC NUMBER having to be
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

VAZHOG

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2006, 10:18:09 AM »

I got the letter and I have done none of the above. [smiley=nixweiss.gif] Always send them a check for my membership renewal, and I've never done a fly-n-ride. My SS# was on my checks is the only way I think they could have gotten that in the past.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]

They (H.O.G.) Have a disclaimer on the information page that they don't store or keep your SS# . VA use to use it for your driver permit but since 9-11 have stopped doing that. they isue a T######### number now so the next time you get your permit renewed you should get a new # also Change your checks at that time. [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2006, 02:59:22 PM »

.. . .full frontal nudity, and a floppy,  - all in the same sentence ;D
Huh, I never made the connection. . .Slow day for ya, eh!? [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2006, 03:05:34 PM »

Still no letter.
Never did Fly-and-ride, but did give DL for test rides; wouldn't expect the local dealer to send that to National, and that wasn't anything to do with HOG, anyway.
Renew 3 yrs at a time.
Everybody HAS to have ALL KINDS of info??  Not any more.  >:(

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2006, 10:58:59 AM »

Don't forget, when you put more than $10,000 cash down on a purchase in the US, they (dealer) must collect your SS# and report it to the IRS. So you probably all have provided this info.
I"m in High (?) Tech, and the latest buzz is all about data encryption especially on mobile devices such as laptops.  Remember the movie "the recruit" the data was all copied onto a USB "thumb" drive and carried away.  All computing devices have a USB port.  It's a scary world out there.

Any day on the bike is a good day.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2006, 05:02:53 PM »

I the age of wireless it gets even scarier.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2006, 08:19:16 PM »

Don't forget, when you put [highlight]more than $10,000 cash [/highlight]down on a purchase in the US, they (dealer) must collect your SS# and report it to the IRS. So you probably all have provided this info.
I"m in High (?) Tech, and the latest buzz is all about data encryption especially on mobile devices such as laptops.  Remember the movie "the recruit" the data was all copied onto a USB "thumb" drive and carried away.  All computing devices have a USB port.  It's a scary world out there.

$10,000 Yeah, that's right!  ;D  I never carry around more than $9,995. Too dangerous.

Uh, got change for a $1?  I wanna leave a tip for the waitress.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 21 queries.