Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Idle question  (Read 7666 times)

Texaco87

Idle question
« on: November 07, 2013, 07:38:36 PM »

Hi all, new to the CVO world and was just wondering how the 110 idled. Mine has what I think is a rough idle, you can actually see the tach needle moving up and down around the 1K mark. Would guess it's about a total swing of about 75 rpm. Of course I was told by my dealer it's normal for a 110. So is this normal and just get use to it, or is the dealer full of sh!t?

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Idle question
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »

Mine runs steady, what about higher rpms does it still wonder?
Try reving to 1500-2000rpm and see what happens.

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 09:33:13 PM »

How many miles on the engine?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:07:59 AM »

What model and year, how many miles, stock or modified? 

It's not unusual for the idle on a stock Harley to be less than rock steady, due to the stock fuel and timing settings along with the basic design issues like uneven firing spacing of a common crankpin 45° V-Twin, shared intake, etc..  The question would become "how much variation is acceptable", and "at what point does the variation signal a possible problem".

As for your dealership person's comments, it sounds like you have a typical Harley dealer.  To some everything is "normal" and "they all do that".  It's much easier to blow that smoke up folk's skirts than it is to do a little checking and then explaining to the customer exactly what's going on.  A good way to deal with such jerks is to insist they roll out a couple more bikes similar to yours and prove that they "all" do that.  Some characteristics people complain about are indeed normal, but I've found that many of the things typical dealerships blow off are not acceptable or necessarily even normal.  Even some things that are normal (common) aren't necessarily acceptable, if you know what I mean.  Oil leaks were normal (common) on 2007 CVO110 engines for instance, but that didn't make them acceptable.  If you have another dealership nearby, or a good independent shop, get a second opinion.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Texaco87

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »

Stock 2014 Limited CVO with only 400 miles so far. Maybe it will smooth out after it's fully broken in, was just wondering how other 14's where doing.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 08:06:52 AM »

Like Aussie suggested, take it up too 1500 and hold steady & then 2000. If there is a hesitation comming from the bike, it will be more pronounced at higher rev's.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

shovelhead FXEF

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 09:55:58 AM »

Stock 2014 Limited CVO with only 400 miles so far. Maybe it will smooth out after it's fully broken in, was just wondering how other 14's where doing.

My 2014 CVO Limited acts the same way.  510 miles. Figure I'll get the 1000 on it and have it checked at the 1000 mile check up

willyB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »

Don't forget it's a HARLEY!
GMR 577 Cams, S & S Lifters, S & S Pushrods, V&H Headers, Rinehart 4” Slipons, TTS Tuner, 12" Yaffee Monkey Bars, Color Matched Chopped Tour Pak (510 HP and 763 TQ +/-)

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:29:36 PM »

Fouled spark plug(s)......................

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 10:33:23 PM »

I would not worry about it. It's a HD v-twin so low rpm may not be steady.

tkmcneely

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 01:56:47 PM »

I have a 2014 cvo limited. With the eitms turned off, and the engine hot, the idle is inconsistent. It will idle fine, then the engine will shudder almost like its missing, then idle fine again. It repeats every 10 to 15 seconds. No problems at higher rpms. I'm getting the same response from the local dealer. Harley tech wants me to put on another 5k and re-assess. All I know is my 09 cvo idled fine.

ToxicTom

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2013, 09:42:23 PM »

The 2014's will go into parade mode at idle when the temp. is above 80 degrees. This is what is causing the rough idle. You can turn it off by twisting the throttle forward for about a minute.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »

The 2014's will go into parade mode at idle when the temp. is above 80 degrees. This is what is causing the rough idle. You can turn it off by twisting the throttle forward for about a minute.

X2
Alan

brbiker

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 01:40:32 PM »

Hey guys I have a 110 CVO limited 2014,The clutch went out the shop rebuilt it.ok  for now. had a idle problem,sounded like it was going to stop running but still idling at 1000 shop did not no I rode 1500 mile and went back to my shop after the cussing and fighting we started working on it.Harley has dropped the temp on the heat sensors fo the heat management system and it comes from the factory enabled you dont need it on a water cooled system,take hold of your throttle push the button on right side of grip with power on look at radio panel it will show you outside air temp,oil pressure,and heat temp system if it is enabled roil your throttle to the right for about 1 minute and it will disable and and you will have a perfect idle.Bill

Colonel Sanders

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 12:57:03 AM »

It takes only a few seconds (not a minute) of rolling the throttle forward (switch in the run position of course) to disable the EITMS.  The cruise indicator will flash and the EITMS will show as "disabled" on the info screen (one press of the right thumb button to get to this screen.)

When I pulled up to the first red light after buying my CVO Limited I thought something was the hell the matter with the bike!  I thought, "this damn thing idles like it's running on one cylinder!"  ...Because it was!  :D  I pulled over, read the manual and disabled the POS EITMS...no more problems.  8)

Dr.D

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SEDFB Sunrise Yellow and Black Quartz
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited silver/orange
    • CVO3: 2015 Indian Vintage Custom 57 Chevy Blue
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2014, 10:18:36 AM »

Why disable it? If it keeps things cooler then why not let it do its job? I have noticed this new bike goes into this EITMS mode far quicker than the older bikes but it does not bother me.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »

Why disable it? If it keeps things cooler then why not let it do its job? I have noticed this new bike goes into this EITMS mode far quicker than the older bikes but it does not bother me.

I think it may have something to do with wanting to sound cool, rather than be cool, if you know what I mean. ;)

With the Twin Cooled bikes it shouldn't be necessary to have EITMS engaged to protect the engine, so it truly becomes a rider comfort feature.  If the rider isn't uncomfortable with the heat from the engine and exhaust while sitting at idle, I can't think of any reason to have to keep it engaged all the time.  And of course if conditions change and they find themselves sitting still in traffic with a 100°F ambient air temp and a 140°F road temp baking them, they can easily turn the system back on to get a little relief from the engine and exhaust heat.

Btw, the reason it seems the new bike goes into EITMS mode far quicker is that on the Twin Cooled bikes Harley now uses ambient air temperature rather than cylinder head temperature to trigger the system.  The trigger is 80°F air temp, so most of the summer the EITMS will be kicking in every time you stop for more than a few seconds.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Colonel Sanders

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2014, 02:48:51 AM »

With the EITMS active it just gets on my nerves.  What I mean is that to me it just feels like the bike is running like $7!t.  It shakes...and I don't mean in a good way like my .640 cammed 124" Deuce.  It's just a crappy kind of running on one cylinder kind of shake (cuz that's exactly what it is).  Kinda feels like it's about to stall out.  And honestly, I don't find this bike to feel hot running so whatever benefit there is to the system is a mute point to me.  Just opinions I guess. :)

I'm just glad it's easy to turn off!  8)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:51:02 AM by Colonel Sanders »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 21 queries.